Politics

The penny drops

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 31, 2020 @ 13:24:10
When Boris Johnson began his bid to be elected leader of the Tory Party (and thus PM of the UK) it was not difficult to see his faults and just why, all in all, it was not a "good idea". An opportunist all his life, sacked twice for lying, father of various "love children" (number unspecified), always short on details, more the master of the one liner in speeches geared towards the plaudits of the Party Faithful.

So, as far as I and many others are concerned, no hindsight is needed to say now that he is not up to the job. However, many refused to see the warning signs.

Here are some quotes, "before" and "after", as given in the satirical magazine "Private Eye". Each quote is drawn from the self same source.

The Tory Mail newspaper editorial, BEFORE:- "Now bring us sunshine!.........Rejoice!"

AFTER:- "Mr Doom!"

The Tory Sun newspaper editorial, BEFORE:- "The right man for the job......Britain needs Boris......he projects optimism and determination....."

AFTER:- "We are disheartened.....the road to ruin......"

Trevor Kavanagh, of the Sun, BEFORE:- "An Ode to Joy.....millions of Sun readers across the nation will cry "Hear! Hear!"

AFTER:- "Which way will Boris jump today? ....we are doomed......."

Allison Parson, of the Tory Daily Telegraph, BEFORE:- "Here comes the sun, doo doo doo doo. Jovial defiance, patriotic spirit, national unity....."

AFTER:- "How much misery is this government going to cause before it ceases its reign of terror?"

Peter Osbourne, in the Tory Mail,BEFORE:- "Behind the bluster there has always been a brilliant man....bubbles with ideas...."

AFTER:- "A PM who shamelessly lies to Parliament, misleads the Queen, tears up his own Withdrawal Deal..."

Toby Young, the Spectator newspaper, BEFORE:- "(I will offer) a full throated defence of Boris. I'll be the last to (give up) on Boris"

AFTER:- "It pains me to say it, but I have given up on Boris....the final straw......What on earth happened to the freedom-loving, twinkly-eyed character I voted for?"

Well, Toby Young may well ask.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 31, 2020 @ 19:09:54
As far as the general electorate is concerned, a 26% Tory poll lead over the Labour Party early this year has now morphed into a 5% Labour lead according to an ipsosMORI poll yesterday.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs