Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 22, 2020 @ 21:34:42
UK Census to Ask About Sexuality For The First Time Ever

Snip:

Reliable data on the proportion of the population that is lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender will be gathered for the first time in next year’s census, with members of the public asked to provide information about their sexual orientation and gender identity.

The governments stated aim is to see if it can uncover the nature and extent of disadvantage people in the LGBTQ community experience.

Is this a welcome development or an unnecessary intrusion?

Should the government census be asking people about something as personal as sexuality and gender identity?

I am not opposed to this in principle, but I am sort of in two minds about its merits.

I know many will have data protection concerns especially if their not fully out, and open if out at all.

Is this sort of data gathered in the US...? If so, what would US members think about it if such questions were included on your census..?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Oct 22, 2020 @ 22:17:44
I think they added it last census over here. At least I know I’ve seen the question before 2020.
Though that might have been one of the specific censuses.

Honestly, I felt it was easier answering a survey like that than answering specific questions about a relationship from people in person. But that could be me.

I’ve seen how the data comes out and I’m relative confident it’s not specific enough to “hunt” people down. Though I know that is a concern people have when in a marginalized group. And honestly politics is making it harder and harder to say something is ridiculous and could never really happen. The line between satire and actual events is blurring.
Darkman666 On about 19 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Oct 22, 2020 @ 23:00:52
@DiscordTiger Said

I think they added it last census over here. At least I know I’ve seen the question before 2020.

Honestly, I felt it was easier answering a survey like that than answering specific questions about a relationship from people in person. But that could be me.

I’ve seen how the data comes out and I’m relative confident it’s not specific enough to “hunt” people down. Though I know that is a concern people have when in a marginalized group. And honestly politics is making it harder and harder to say something is ridiculous and could never really happen. The line between satire and actual events is blurring.

when I moved in March, I filled out two census cards for two addresses.

Both of them were less, in general, because being online. 10 years ago, they were in mail, less 10 questions on it. But also, I did mine in front of census taker.

I remember, in general, normal gender question, not sexuality questions.

The paid surveys that I do, always ask both gender and sexuality question .
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 23, 2020 @ 19:27:28
@DiscordTiger Said

You have hit the nail on the head in your third paragraph.... these are precisely the sort of concerns that are starting to emerge on LGBT forums.

Pre 2016 the gathering of such data would have been generally accepted in the belief that it was indeed going to be used to address social inequality. That is not the case now.

Since then we have had the introduction of the "Snoopers Charter" (The Data Communications Act) which gives the police and security services unprecedented rights to intercept private communications, gather online and telephone data, compile databases on private citizens without referral to the Data Protection Act and even remotely activate telephones, computers and internet televisions in people's homes surreptitiously to listen in to conversations and even spy on them through device cameras. The government has made it easier for the spooks to obtain warrants to do this, without the need for evidence that people are doing anything to justify the intrusion.

No surprise then that there is very little trust in this government and a lot of people feel quite uneasy about it here.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#5New Post! Oct 23, 2020 @ 20:45:42
@Jennifer1984 Said

You have hit the nail on the head in your third paragraph.... these are precisely the sort of concerns that are starting to emerge on LGBT forums.

Pre 2016 the gathering of such data would have been generally accepted in the belief that it was indeed going to be used to address social inequality. That is not the case now.

Since then we have had the introduction of the "Snoopers Charter" (The Data Communications Act) which gives the police and security services unprecedented rights to intercept private communications, gather online and telephone data, compile databases on private citizens without referral to the Data Protection Act and even remotely activate telephones, computers and internet televisions in people's homes surreptitiously to listen in to conversations and even spy on them through device cameras. The government has made it easier for the spooks to obtain warrants to do this, without the need for evidence that people are doing anything to justify the intrusion.

No surprise then that there is very little trust in this government and a lot of people feel quite uneasy about it here.

Yeah, the mistrust here is over the citizenship question, but it’s the same concept. And points to a complete breakdown in trust that government has the best interest of the people in mind and there will be protection of the sensitive data.

From an academic perspective I see the value in collecting. But current leadership here has abused any trust I have in gov. (And in a lot of society and people I thought were friends, but that is probably a different topic. I belong to marginalized groups, but can pass as the majority. It’s a double edged sword. I don’t get personal attacks as much, but people show their true colors then can’t understand why I’m backing off.)
Darkman666 On about 19 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Oct 23, 2020 @ 23:38:45
in st.louis, they are actually concern about the census and dropped how people are leaving the city and moving to the country. What the local news said about census in September.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 24, 2020 @ 04:58:37
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah, the mistrust here is over the citizenship question, but it’s the same concept. And points to a complete breakdown in trust that government has the best interest of the people in mind and there will be protection of the sensitive data.

From an academic perspective I see the value in collecting. But current leadership here has abused any trust I have in gov. (And in a lot of society and people I thought were friends, but that is probably a different topic. I belong to marginalized groups, but can pass as the majority. It’s a double edged sword. I don’t get personal attacks as much, but people show their true colors then can’t understand why I’m backing off.)

I can see where you're coming from and I know how you feel.

It's the climate of suspicion and mistrust that is the disturbing thing.

After the Civil Partnerships Act in 2005 and all the advances made during the Tony Blair years.... and even to an extent, carried on by David Cameron who fine-tuned the concept of gay unions as 'partnerships' to actual 'marriage', the whole of society seemed to have embraced homosexuals as ordinary people.

I was very fortunate in that I enjoyed the best of this. I came out in 2003 and as a young person didn't really suffer the worst of the discrimination and persecution that went before.

Even after the passing of the Snoopers Charter some six years ago, that in itself didn't seem to make much difference to us. That was sold to the public on the grounds of being an anti-terrorism and child protection measure and who could disagree with that.

But since 2016 the whole picture has changed. I know I rattle on about Brexit and it must become boring to some people, but it's almost impossible to convey in mere words the shift we have undergone here since then.

The hard right have always lacked credibility because most people were generally liberal minded. All we wanted was to live our lives... trundle along... make a living in peace and security. Very ordinary aspirations and we were happy, accepting and tolerant.

Brexit changed all that. It emboldened the hard right and they've used it to gather momentum since.

It has made extremism acceptable. It is now acceptable for the government to contemplate sending navy ships to sink migrant dinghies attempting to cross the English Channel. It is now acceptable for the government to remove funding to feed children in poverty. And it is now acceptable for people to persecute minorities again. Despite a relentless and conspicuous catalogue of failure, corruption, abuse of power and blatant disregard for any of the norms of acceptable political practice, the Tories are unbeatable in an election at this time. How does this happen...?

Calls to bring back the death penalty..... forcibly separate migrant children from their families...... exclude minorities from social services......... withdraw Britain from the Human Rights Act..... Abolish any number of Civil Liberties..... all these and many more are being touted seriously, and are being taken up by politicians pushing to put them through Parliament. With an 80 seat majority in the House of Commons, and Boris Johnson elevating those he can trust to toe the party line into the House of Lords, the likelihood of success is becoming increasingly certain.

The Tories are changing electoral boundaries (gerrymandering) to prevent the opposition ever gaining control. Opposition constituencies are being merged, 2 into 1 to cut the number of seats they can win in Parliament.

20'000 more police being recruited by the party that in 2015 cut police numbers. What does that smack of...? Threats to use the army on the streets for civil control in case of demonstrations.

All of these moves have started, and gathered pace since June 2016. There is a feel of all this being part of a systematic move to an oppressive and dictatorial regime

And now, out of the blue, they want to start gathering this data. Call me Little Miss Paranoid if you will, but you can see where suspicions of a systematic descent into fascism are coming from.

You've read the likes of Bob the Fisherman and the Australian on this very forum. Extreme stuff. Disturbing stuff and you'd call it unsustainable in a functioning democracy. But that is what we no longer have.

And so what may seem an innocuous question on a census form..... that most of us would accept as being reasonable and trustworthy at any other time now seems dark and fraught with mistrust and suspicion.

What do they REALLY want this data for...?

And I hate what this growing climate of fear and trepidation is doing to the country I had grown to feel safe and secure in.

We are starting to get genuinely scared.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#8New Post! Oct 24, 2020 @ 06:06:59
@Jennifer1984 Said

I can see where you're coming from and I know how you feel.

It's the climate of suspicion and mistrust that is the disturbing thing.

After the Civil Partnerships Act in 2005 and all the advances made during the Tony Blair years.... and even to an extent, carried on by David Cameron who fine-tuned the concept of gay unions as 'partnerships' to actual 'marriage', the whole of society seemed to have embraced homosexuals as ordinary people.

I was very fortunate in that I enjoyed the best of this. I came out in 2003 and as a young person didn't really suffer the worst of the discrimination and persecution that went before.

Even after the passing of the Snoopers Charter some six years ago, that in itself didn't seem to make much difference to us. That was sold to the public on the grounds of being an anti-terrorism and child protection measure and who could disagree with that.

But since 2016 the whole picture has changed. I know I rattle on about Brexit and it must become boring to some people, but it's almost impossible to convey in mere words the shift we have undergone here since then.

The hard right have always lacked credibility because most people were generally liberal minded. All we wanted was to live our lives... trundle along... make a living in peace and security. Very ordinary aspirations and we were happy, accepting and tolerant.

Brexit changed all that. It emboldened the hard right and they've used it to gather momentum since.

It has made extremism acceptable. It is now acceptable for the government to contemplate sending navy ships to sink migrant dinghies attempting to cross the English Channel. It is now acceptable for the government to remove funding to feed children in poverty. And it is now acceptable for people to persecute minorities again. Despite a relentless and conspicuous catalogue of failure, corruption, abuse of power and blatant disregard for any of the norms of acceptable political practice, the Tories are unbeatable in an election at this time. How does this happen...?

Calls to bring back the death penalty..... forcibly separate migrant children from their families...... exclude minorities from social services......... withdraw Britain from the Human Rights Act..... Abolish any number of Civil Liberties..... all these and many more are being touted seriously, and are being taken up by politicians pushing to put them through Parliament. With an 80 seat majority in the House of Commons, and Boris Johnson elevating those he can trust to toe the party line into the House of Lords, the likelihood of success is becoming increasingly certain.

The Tories are changing electoral boundaries (gerrymandering) to prevent the opposition ever gaining control. Opposition constituencies are being merged, 2 into 1 to cut the number of seats they can win in Parliament.

20'000 more police being recruited by the party that in 2015 cut police numbers. What does that smack of...? Threats to use the army on the streets for civil control in case of demonstrations.

All of these moves have started, and gathered pace since June 2016. There is a feel of all this being part of a systematic move to an oppressive and dictatorial regime

And now, out of the blue, they want to start gathering this data. Call me Little Miss Paranoid if you will, but you can see where suspicions of a systematic descent into fascism are coming from.

You've read the likes of Bob the Fisherman and the Australian on this very forum. Extreme stuff. Disturbing stuff and you'd call it unsustainable in a functioning democracy. But that is what we no longer have.

And so what may seem an innocuous question on a census form..... that most of us would accept as being reasonable and trustworthy at any other time now seems dark and fraught with mistrust and suspicion.

What do they REALLY want this data for...?

And I hate what this growing climate of fear and trepidation is doing to the country I had grown to feel safe and secure in.

We are starting to get genuinely scared.

yeah, I get it. I use sarcasm and dark humor to cope a lot, but similar hard right changes have happened here. Names are different of course, but the idea is the same. I've always had some anxiety, but the actual panic attacks and need for medication is gotten a lot worse. Which here is a double edged sword, as our healthcare system is all a s***show, and getting any mental health help worse.

a lot of various communities are pulling together to do what we can, its not enough, but it helps. it makes it a very distrustful era. The death of RBG and rush to replace her on the court may change so much for generations. So much is at stake, and we have our own version of gerrymadering and voter suppression going on. For the current election they have severely reduced the numbers of polling places, and destabilizing the postal service, so ballots being returned through the mail, is all of a sudden a big issue, when it shouldn't be.

I hope it changes, but it's been really emotionally rough, and several people i thought I knew have said reprehensible things in my presence, that leave me wondering did i really know them, and how honest were they with me and that is a bit of a mind f***. I don't like being distrustful, but some of these are life and death circumstances.

the oh...its not a big deal thing Trump did on June 12, to reverse medical protections from LGBTQ+ -- supposedly that was because the transgendered people were "forcing" doctors to perform examinations on biological parts they did not have. --- Bull crap, was not a problem that need "fixing" any way, its in effect now.

almost all major insurances have dropped all protections or even the ability to file a complaint or investigation if someone is being discriminated on sexuality or gender identity. The ones that haven't pulled it, may just not have gotten around to it, not so much that they won't. We enroll in our medical insurance plans once a year, usually in Oct - Nov to start in January, but there are a bunch that enroll in May and June for a July 1 start date. I am on the July date, and the insurances that have the larger July changes, are the one that haven't made changes yet. -- Simply because the law changed too late to for them to make changes last year. And because of our health care system, these plans are pretty much the only access to medical care anyone has, other than they are legally required to stablize you in and emergency room (then bill you full price) and some doctors will accept out of pocket payments for treatment, but it is almost always pay in advance. Which makes sense for elective surgery, like new boobs, but when its your gall bladder its a different issue.

so add this into an already clusterf*** of a system, and well.... I'm also not optimistic.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 24, 2020 @ 18:43:15
Sheesh, hun... that goes way beyond simply tinkering with a census form. But you can't help wondering if it is a piece in a jigsaw, where the picture that is beginning to emerge isn't the one on the box that was bought at the election.

We are fortunate here that we don't have such medical concerns because of our state funded health service. The NHS is the closest thing the British have to a national religion.

The Tories know it is an electoral minefield for them, but they have been working at weakening it for decades. Selling off little bits such as catering and cleaning services to private firms, and introducing charges here and there for things like false teeth, spectacles and prescriptions. But these have been relatively small things. Major stuff like my father in law's Coronary By-Pass operation two years ago was totally free from start to finish.

But it is clear that US Big Pharma wants a piece of the action and despite denials that this is on the table in US/UK trade talks, everybody knows that it is, and Parliament has already passed three or four little "enabling" acts which will help them get around the legal issues of this when the time comes to seal the deal. F'rinstance, US Insurance companies can now sell medical care plans in UK. Why would that need to be a part of a trade deal with a country that has a free-at-the-point-of-need health service..?

But when asked, Johnson just denies that there is any intention to sell off the NHS. And the poodle press that supports them gives them the friendliest of headlines.

Tory hardliner's are calling for every publicly owned service to be "de-funded" if they don't toe the Tory party line. The BBC is sticking to the requirements of its royal charter to be impartial and the Tories don't like it. They want Auntie in their pocket so they want Johnson to withdraw its funding.

Local councils all over the country are being threatened with defunding if they allow anti-Brexit marches or demonstrations. The Arts Council has been threatened with having its funding withdrawn if comedians make fun of Tory politicians, or if theatres put on plays that criticise the government.

They have just withdrawn free school meals for children from poor families that can't afford them. 300 Conservative politicians voted for this in Parliament last Tuesday. In a statement in the Commons, Home Secretary Priti Patel called such families "scroungers" and said "We will not tolerate people who have a dependency culture where State Aid is concerned." One Tory said "If they can't afford to feed their kids they shouldn't have any."

One local council has been threatened that its library will be defunded if it puts copies of certain books on its shelves. How's that for 1984..!!

Amanda and I can look after ourselves but I do worry what the effect could be on Megan if our family life was radically altered by changes to society.

She's never known anything remotely untoward in her life about having two mummies. It's all she knows. Two mummies or a mummy and daddy or two daddies... it's immaterial to her. It hasn't been the remotest issue. We were worried when she started school that there she may get some playground taunting or whatever, but it's just not happened. She's just a normal, happy, healthy 7 year old in a loving family

Imagine the confusion, hurt and mental trauma that any form of persecution of mummy and mama would have on her..?

Amanda and I could stand any sort of personal persecution, but we'd do anything to keep our little girl from that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs