Religion & Philosophy

Myth

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 28, 2020 @ 16:03:16
Myth today often has a bad name. A story that is untrue.

Myth belongs to the infancy of the human race and we have now outgrown such a stage in our development. So it goes.

However, one or two great 20th century thinkers have thought deeply on the subject of myth/mythology. Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell for instance.

Mr Campbell sees myth as having four functions:-

The first is the mystical or metaphysical function. Myth, Campbell proposes, should serve ‘to reconcile the waking consciousness to the … universe as it is’.

The second function of mythology Campbell terms the cosmological function, which ‘is that of formulating and rendering an image of the universe, a cosmological image in keeping with the science of our time’

The third function is sociological, that of supporting and maintaining a functioning social moral order.

Finally, the fourth function of mythology, which Campbell calls the pedagogical or psychological function, ‘is to initiate the individual into the order of realities of their own psyche, guiding them toward their own spiritual enrichment and realization’.

(This list drawn from "The Archetypal Cosmos" by Keiron Le Grice)

Carl Jung has spoken of the need for "modern man" to regain some sort of overriding outlook to counter the prevailing sense of dislocation felt by many, the need for a "spiritual" outlook ( not "religion/religious" )

Any thoughts?
Darkman666 On about 3 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 28, 2020 @ 16:10:21
myths - what i brought up with deals facts and fables. more less " the big fish got away! " sort of things.

greek mythology is one of sources with gods and legends. in america, " urban legends".

ghost stories and wives tales cover the rest.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 28, 2020 @ 20:39:15
@darkman666 Said

ghost stories and wives tales cover the rest.

What I find worth reflecting on is the common themes of many myths across various cultures. It suggests that rather than "old wives tales", just made up to tell a story to the kiddies, myths reveal truths about our common humanity. To study them is therefore to learn about ourselves.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 28, 2020 @ 21:07:36
@dookie Said

What I find worth reflecting on is the common themes of many myths across various cultures. It suggests that rather than "old wives tales", just made up to tell a story to the kiddies, myths reveal truths about our common humanity. To study them is therefore to learn about ourselves.

the old wives bags that i dated, can tell tales, you don't care about. since, i desperate i have listen to them, then we do.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 29, 2020 @ 07:47:42
@darkman666 Said

the old wives bags that i dated, can tell tales, you don't care about. since, i desperate i have listen to them, then we do.

Here's a tip. When the tale ends with any sort of request for money, know you're onto a loser.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 29, 2020 @ 16:30:46
@dookie Said

Here's a tip. When the tale ends with any sort of request for money, know you're onto a loser.

how did you that old bags figure me out?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs