Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 15:37:32
@Jennifer1984 Said

It took me less than thirty seconds to find this.

Labour Party Gerrymandering

It's all about asking the right question.

It's worth noting a couple of points from the article which, although it dates back to 2010, is relevant because since 2010 the Tories have been in power so Labour could not have attempted to interfere with the electoral process since the article was written.

The very first paragraph states that only once has an attempt been made to "interfere with the work of the Boundaries Commission in the last 100 years, and that occurred in the 1960's Labour government.

Now... it's relevant that it was NOT an attempt to actually change the boundaries themselves, but an attempt to "work the system" via the Boundaries Commission. Cynical and wrong, but technically, not gerrymandering. That was (in the view of Jim Callaghan) the beauty of the plan..... no allegation of wrongdoing could be placed at the government's door.

The reason it failed was because the House of Lord's blocked the bill and the subsequent election was contested on the basis of the boundaries drawn up in 1950.

I don't know where Offbeat's memories come from, but if they're unsustainable with some sort of evidence then his recollections can reasonably be discounted.

I spent another thirty seconds of my life asking another right question and came up with this.

Tory Gerrymandering In Scotland

Labour did have to apologise to the Scottish Parliament for not intervening in Conservative Party boundary manipulation in Scotland in 1994. Perhaps that's what Offbeat remembers.....

I'd like to spend longer on this but don't have the time right now. No doubt the deeper I dig the more I'd find but this is something to be going on with for now.

Feel free to add to the list of links and let's see what conclusions we can draw from them.

Maybe also to do with having a "scientific mind" rather than a dustbin......

I was led astray by seeing the current changes came under the "Sixth Boundary Review" and foolishly assumed I could ask about the previous five and get results.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 17:21:06
@dookie Said

Maybe also to do with having a "scientific mind" rather than a dustbin......

Now, now, that's a bit cheeky..

I wouldn't describe anybody's mind a 'dustbin'. A 'Repository of different ideas' perhaps.

Does that sound fair..?
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 12, 2020 @ 17:34:19
@Jennifer1984 Said

A 'Repository of different ideas' perhaps.

After what I've been called in my time I'll settle to that anyday

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Aug 14, 2020 @ 14:18:00
@dookie Said

After what I've been called in my time I'll settle to that anyday

I've been called many things, many times. It's all become rather rote...... repetitive.

I just wish they could be a little more imaginative.

A new taunt... something I haven't heard a thousand times before. It might even be rather amusing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs