Forums:
Science

The Planets Tonight

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 05, 2020 @ 09:26:36
Here's something for all you star gazers out there. If you look towards the South tonight, quite low in the sky, you will see a very bright star and a less bright star to the left of it. The bright star is Jupiter and it's neighbour is Saturn. With a small telescope or a pair of binoculars it is possible to see 4 of Jupiter's moons and 7 of Saturn's. Amazing when you consider that Jupiter is over 400 million miles away and Saturn is about a billion miles away. Enjoy.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 05, 2020 @ 12:28:27
@offbeat Said

Here's something for all you star gazers out there. If you look towards the South tonight, quite low in the sky, you will see a very bright star and a less bright star to the left of it. The bright star is Jupiter and it's neighbour is Saturn. With a small telescope or a pair of binoculars it is possible to see 4 of Jupiter's moons and 7 of Saturn's. Amazing when you consider that Jupiter is over 400 million miles away and Saturn is about a billion miles away. Enjoy.

Thanks for that tip. I'm not sure if this will be visible from South West England, but I'll call the Royal Observatory at Greenwich later and ask them. It'd be worth a trip to the clifftops looking out over the South Western approaches for a look.

Better to go to the cliffs for skywatching because there is less light pollution looking out to the south over the open sea.

Sunset isn't until 2100 here at this time of year but my daughter is still off school due to Coronavirus lockdown here and she won't mind staying up a bit late to go out do something interesting.

Again, thanks for the tip.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 05, 2020 @ 14:26:08
Perseid meteor showers are also approaching max.

Right now, Earth is in the outskirts of Swift-Tuttle's debris stream. Only a few Perseids per hour are streaking across the night sky. As Earth plunges deeper into the stream, meteor rates will increase sharply, potentially reaching 100+ per hour on the nights of Aug. 11-12 and 12-13.

In early July you could see a "Planet Parade" - where in one night (dusk 'til dawn) you would be able to see - I think it was 7 planets (rising and setting, so not all at once)

It still might be possible to see a smaller "Parade"
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 05, 2020 @ 18:48:06
@Jennifer1984 Said

Thanks for that tip. I'm not sure if this will be visible from South West England, but I'll call the Royal Observatory at Greenwich later and ask them. It'd be worth a trip to the clifftops looking out over the South Western approaches for a look.

Better to go to the cliffs for skywatching because there is less light pollution looking out to the south over the open sea.

Sunset isn't until 2100 here at this time of year but my daughter is still off school due to Coronavirus lockdown here and she won't mind staying up a bit late to go out do something interesting.

Again, thanks for the tip.

i saw them very clearly last night from a back garden in London. Even with a fair bit of light pollution.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 13:29:49
Another of my favorite sites:

Sky Maps
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs