Entertainment

The Repair Shop

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 20:36:15
There is a TV show on the UK BBC, "The Repair Shop". My wife was the first to take an interest and now I am hooked. For me now the best show on TV.

It is set in an old barn, inhabited by a sundry collection of experts/craftsmen of various trades. Metalwork, leather, clocks, wood, china or whatever. Members of the public bring in their precious heirlooms all of which have seen better days. Some are completely broken, mechanisms not working, parts missing. Always there is a story attached to the item.

Tonight for instance a guy bought in an quite small wooden model of a spitfire. It had been made by his grandfather who had flown in Lancaster Bombers during WW2. Made between missions. His 19th mission had been his last, and all that was left to the family was the tiny plane. Wing now broken, tailfin wobbling, one propeller blade missing, paintwork quite grubby. One of the younger members of the family had dropped it at one point.

But watching the sheer craftsmanship, the loving concern, of the Repair Shop guys (and gals) has my eyes and heart glued to the screen.

So many items have come and gone during the series. An old Jukebox, dead radios, broken cabinets, a rocking horse, an old teddy bear, a leather harness and obviously more. Some of the old clocks, their intricate workings, all brought back to life. All the items associated with a family story. Mothers, fathers, grandads.....who had handed the items down.

It's a throwaway age. I find that to watch the show is therapeutic. I'm engrossed for the entire hour. Seeing the owners reunited with their treasures, the joy and thanks. A great show.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 07:58:32
It's a sort of hobby-ist programme. I saw it a couple of times during the lockdown and found it fascinating. You're quite right, the team do restore some quite badly beaten up items to their former beauty with loving care and great attention to detail.

It's not the sort of thing I'd find 'unmissable' though. I don't think they could do anything with some of my clothes, particularly one item I found on a visit to my parents some time ago, going through a trunk of old things. Just seeing it again made me think of the occasions when I wore it. Fond memories.

I doubt anything could be done with it now, even if they did have a seamstress who could work miracles.

Best stick to Spitfires.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 08:29:17
Yes, thinking of my bother and me, when young we were both dab hands at pulling things to bits. It was the putting them back together that had us beat.

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 08:42:25
@dookie Said

Yes, thinking of my bother and me, when young we were both dab hands at pulling things to bits. It was the putting them back together that had us beat.

You're not the only one. And of course, being an all female household, the last thing we're ever going to do is admit we can't do something for ourselves.

Once, when our printer packed up and wouldn't work, Wife phoned her dad to ask how she could fix it. I was out, with Meg at swim class at the time. We came home halfway through her phone call and she'd tried the half-dozen or so fix-its that he'd told her to try down the line without success.

When she told me what it was all about, I pulled the plug out, picked the printer up, turned it upside down and shook it until the paper clip that had somehow got stuck inside fell out.

When she finished thanking her dad for all his help, and put the phone down she asked how I knew there was a paper clip in there.

"I didn't," I said. Actually, at this point, it occurred to me to claim some sort of feminine intuition but that would have been taking coals to Newcastle. Claiming mysterious female attributes is only worth doing when there are men around to hear and be baffled by inexplicable women's wiles.

Instead, I told her that it was something I'd seen my dad do with his printer at home some years ago. I just took a punt and got lucky.

The printer has worked fine ever since.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 08:59:19
Always a good tip to give anything a kick first.

Long ago I took a hair dryer into a repair shop. The head guys young son booked it in. I asked:- "How long is it likely to take". The young boy called out to his dad, "A hairdryer here, how long will it take to repair?" His dad asked: - "What's wrong with it?" The boy asked me and I said, " Well, it doesn't work when you turn it on". The boy communicated this to his dad, who then said:- "Oh, about four days!!"
Darkman666 On about 18 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 15:27:33
i can't remember the name of tv show.

it was reality show about movies and tv collectables. it is an auction show. there were a group that going around usa to find collectables to show tv audience. if the owner want to sell the collectable, they would help the owner sell it. this group will evaluate the item, if it is in mint condition or not. the group is more or less, representatives of buyers, who will to buy the items from the owners.

at the end of the show, there is a big auction. the owners are in the audience, as well as the buyers. some of the buyers on the floor on the phone are bid to. the buyers will paid the owners for items.

the tv show was sfys for two or three years, before it was cancelled.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 26, 2020 @ 05:34:16
@darkman666 Said

i can't remember the name of tv show.

it was reality show about movies and tv collectables. it is an auction show. there were a group that going around usa to find collectables to show tv audience. if the owner want to sell the collectable, they would help the owner sell it. this group will evaluate the item, if it is in mint condition or not. the group is more or less, representatives of buyers, who will to buy the items from the owners.

at the end of the show, there is a big auction. the owners are in the audience, as well as the buyers. some of the buyers on the floor on the phone are bid to. the buyers will paid the owners for items.

the tv show was sfys for two or three years, before it was cancelled.

We have a daytime programme over here that has almost exactly the same format. It's called "Bargain Hunt" and it airs on Auntie.

In our version, two 'teams' are given X amount of money and told to go out and buy what they can with it. They trawl around various markets, antique and bric-a-brac shops and then bring their purchases to auction.

The team that makes the most profit from the sale of their items is declared the winner and the profit they make is donated to a charity of their choice. Some contestants make an overall loss but Auntie writes that off.

Some genuine gems come to light from time to time... memorabilia... collectibles.... even genuine objets d'art have been found. But mostly it's old tat that the owners were glad to get off their hands while making sure they get their shop name on the BBC.

Show host Tim Wonnacott. A sort of irritating, gap-toothed, wannabe Bertie Wooster but without the smart butler.

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 26, 2020 @ 07:38:04
Hi Jennifer, yes, another favourite of mine, Bargain Hunt. Tim Wonnacott has in fact long gone and only features in repeats (which, being the BBC, are many)

Bargain Hunt airs around lunch time which suits us fine.
Darkman666 On about 18 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Jul 26, 2020 @ 17:34:54
@Jennifer1984 Said

We have a daytime programme over here that has almost exactly the same format. It's called "Bargain Hunt" and it airs on Auntie.

In our version, two 'teams' are given X amount of money and told to go out and buy what they can with it. They trawl around various markets, antique and bric-a-brac shops and then bring their purchases to auction.

The team that makes the most profit from the sale of their items is declared the winner and the profit they make is donated to a charity of their choice. Some contestants make an overall loss but Auntie writes that off.

Some genuine gems come to light from time to time... memorabilia... collectibles.... even genuine objets d'art have been found. But mostly it's old tat that the owners were glad to get off their hands while making sure they get their shop name on the BBC.

Show host Tim Wonnacott. A sort of irritating, gap-toothed, wannabe Bertie Wooster but without the smart butler.

we have your bbc tv show, " antique roadshow " on pbs for 24 years that bring people bring antique junk, and a dealer will appraisal it. i think watched few times. it been quite all time, since i saw it.

one time, i saw on an episode an old lady came ask how her old dentures were? and how much they were worth?

we had tv show in 80's, " supermarket sweep ". it was about two average people that are in the supermarket. both of them, had a grocery buggy and they fill up the cart. the winner of the half hour show was one of four round filling the buggy will a big prizes and all the grab , they got through the half hour.

one of the winner was the old lady that talk above the post, she won her old dentures there.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs