Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...455 456 457 458 459 ...614 615 616 · >>
chaski On about 17 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6841New Post! Jul 22, 2019 @ 05:40:38
@gakINGKONG Said

Then he ought to acknowledge this. If POTUS were a White Supremacists, he ought to come out and say it--even promote it. Trump has already stated that he's not concerned how his words sound politically.

I think the bigger problem in the United States is identity politics hysteria (the hope of gaining power by throwing out "isms" and virtue signaling.)

Yet another pathetic excuse for Trump...

All hail our lord and savior Donald "Jesus Christ" Trump!

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#6842New Post! Jul 22, 2019 @ 11:41:39
@gakINGKONG Said

Then he ought to acknowledge this. If POTUS were a White Supremacists, he ought to come out and say it--even promote it. Trump has already stated that he's not concerned how his words sound politically.

I think the bigger problem in the United States is identity politics hysteria (the hope of gaining power by throwing out "isms" and virtue signaling.)

Personally, I don't think Trump is necessarily a racist or WS, but I do believe he has some very prejudiced views. However, his actions and words certainly do smell of veiled racism.

His antagonistic approach just uncovers his true colors.

NE, Ohio
#6843New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 01:05:43
" Nobody spoke up. Then it was too late ," he added.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#6844New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 19:28:43
He has to get a little swampy to drain it (can’t take credit for that one).

I hear he’ll focus on the budget next term.

Or, he could do it now.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6845New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 21:32:29
@mrmhead Said

Personally, I don't think Trump is necessarily a racist or WS, but I do believe he has some very prejudiced views. However, his actions and words certainly do smell of veiled racism.

His antagonistic approach just uncovers his true colors.

So... in general..not just Drump... what makes someone a racist?

Where is that line between being a racist and having prejudiced views?

Does racism actually seem reduced if it is veiled, or is it still racism but the person is trying to hide the truth?

I know this may sound pedantic and I'm not directly calling you out...but actually defining that might actually help us as a country, not that everyone will agree, but sometimes different political sides are not even having the same conversation.
Stalker

#6846New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 22:18:05
@gakINGKONG Said

Do we have to create new categories for how much we loathe others?

@mrmhead Said

It's not a new category

@mrmhead Said

However, his actions and words certainly do smell of veiled racism.

Hmmm... racism...

Yes, it is true that the word racism is a relatively new word in our lexicon.

The idea of racial discrimination, however, predates the term racism by at least 3000 years (if we go with the Bible as a time line reference... if we use the perceived history of mankind as our time line, it is much longer... much longer).

Granted some might prefer to present the idea that the stories of discrimination in the bible were more about ethnicity than "race". That argument is weak and ultimately a waste of time. The idea that racism didn't exist before the term was coined, is like saying that oxygen didn't exist until someone invented the word "oxygen".

Discrimination based on "we" are better than "you" has existed (again using the Bible as a time line) for not less than 3000 years, and racism is just one of the many flavors you can get at the ice cream store of hate.

"White Supremacy" is nothing new either. Even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist prior to the Age of Exploration... even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist in the USA since the creation of the USA.... even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist since Nazi Germany...

"White Supremacy" is not a newly created category for how much we loathe others.

Any pretense that "white supremacy" isn't a thing is a lie.... it cannot even be reduced to the level of willful ignorance. It is a lie, and anyone propagating the idea that "white supremacy" isn't even a thing, is a liar.

As to Trump: Is he a racism? Or is he just a narcissistic coward who will do anything to win, including further divide the USA on racial, ethnic, social and economic lines? Or is he both.

Both.
Stalker

#6847New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 22:32:04
@chaski Said

Hmmm... racism...

Yes, it is true that the word racism is a relatively new word in our lexicon.

The idea of racial discrimination, however, predates the term racism by at least 3000 years (if we go with the Bible as a time line reference... if we use the perceived history of mankind as our time line, it is much longer... much longer).

Granted some might prefer to present the idea that the stories of discrimination in the bible were more about ethnicity than "race". That argument is weak and ultimately a waste of time. The idea that racism didn't exist before the term was coined, is like saying that oxygen didn't exist until someone invented the word "oxygen".

Discrimination based on "we" are better than "you" has existed (again using the Bible as a time line) for not less than 3000 years, and racism is just one of the many flavors you can get at the ice cream store of hate.

"White Supremacy" is nothing new either. Even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist prior to the Age of Exploration... even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist in the USA since the creation of the USA.... even if we wanted to pretend that it did not exist since Nazi Germany...

"White Supremacy" is not a newly created category for how much we loathe others.

Any pretense that "white supremacy" isn't a thing is a lie.... it cannot even be reduced to the level of willful ignorance. It is a lie, and anyone propagating the idea that "white supremacy" isn't even a thing, is a liar.

As to Trump: Is he a racism? Or is he just a narcissistic coward who will do anything to win, including further divide the USA on racial, ethnic, social and economic lines? Or is he both.

Both.

Note: As a point of clarity, I would like to say that this post of mine was not about religion in general nor christianity specifically.

I referenced the Bible as there is a clear time line from creation to the present in it. Thus, we can use it a a measure of time from the present back to various points in the past. The point at which "racism" (or ethnic description & hate if you prefer) appears to be presented at a time which is at least 3000 years ago... though my math could be off, as one could probably argue for 4000 years ago.

And as a point of clarity: Think of the Israelites' years of slavery in Egypt. Discrimination. Repression. Slaves. Bottom of the cast system. Roughly 1400 BC. So 2019 AD + 1400 BC = 3419 years ago the Israelites were victims of racial (or ethnic) discrimination by people who viewed themselves as a superior race (or ethnicity).

Nothing "new".

NE, Ohio
#6848New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 22:44:08
@DiscordTiger Said

So... in general..not just Drump... what makes someone a racist?

Where is that line between being a racist and having prejudiced views?

Does racism actually seem reduced if it is veiled, or is it still racism but the person is trying to hide the truth?

I know this may sound pedantic and I'm not directly calling you out...but actually defining that might actually help us as a country, not that everyone will agree, but sometimes different political sides are not even having the same conversation.

No problem, I thought I might get called on this.

I hate to pull out the old saying, but "I can't be a racist, some of my best friends are black"
- I think rings at least somewhat true.

I don't think a "true" racist could have a working relationship with someone that represents their target of hatred.

Prejudice is more to the effect that "oh damn, I got in the line with the black cashier ... now I'll be here all day" - a racist would get out of line.
The cashier strikes up a friendly conversation and the prejudiced person thinks "OK, he's not so bad..."

You can perform acts that are considered racist without being a racist, it's just your prejudice that is showing through with those acts, and you may not even realize it.

It's kind of along a scale of intensity
A bigot is somewhere between prejudiced and racist.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Stalker

#6849New Post! Jul 23, 2019 @ 22:58:28
@mrmhead Said

You can perform acts that are considered racist without being a racist, it's just your prejudice that is showing through with those acts, and you may not even realize it.

It could well be that Trump doesn't hate people of color because of their skin color, but rather because of the fact that they are ethnically different from his ethnicity.

Taking the Squad as an example:

It could be that Trump doesn't hate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib, because their races are: hispanic, black, black, middle eastern.

It could be that he hates them because they are ethnically Latina, Somalia Muslim, African American, Palestinian. So not about their "race" but their "ethnicity".

Or it could be that, again in the case of the Squad, he hates them because they are young women.

Or it could be that, Trump doesn't really hate them at all... but rather he just wants the votes of the people that do hate them, so he (Trump) will say anything to get those votes... after all, we all know he is one of the biggest liars ever.

etc.

NE, Ohio
#6850New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 01:21:12
WFS

Trump was condemned by a terrorist organization for being irresponsible !!

A spokesman for the Taliban -- a group the State Department says is responsible for beheadings, amputations, stonings and civilian casualties -- condemned Trump's remarks as "irresponsible."
Link

Well, damn.. later in the article it mentions Trump lying about India ...
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6851New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 03:31:21
@mrmhead Said

No problem, I thought I might get called on this.

I hate to pull out the old saying, but "I can't be a racist, some of my best friends are black"
- I think rings at least somewhat true.

I don't think a "true" racist could have a working relationship with someone that represents their target of hatred.

Prejudice is more to the effect that "oh damn, I got in the line with the black cashier ... now I'll be here all day" - a racist would get out of line.
The cashier strikes up a friendly conversation and the prejudiced person thinks "OK, he's not so bad..."

It's kind of along a scale of intensity
A bigot is somewhere between prejudiced and racist.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Going back to slavery or even biblical times. A master had a working relationship with a slave. Sometimes slaves were very close to the family that owned them. Either in the surrogate mother/caretaker roles or like in the case of Jefferson- lover. He was very close to black person, so close to sally he was inside her multiple times. But yet he owned her refused to free their children, and still upheld one of the most racist parts of our country’s system. Proximity wasn’t a deterrent to feeling superior or the action of discrimination.

No worries, your argument is a common one. Not saying what is right or wrong, just it’s complicated and proximity isn’t enough for me to give someone the racist pass.

Also I do think chaski is on to something that it is more ethnicity/nationality more than “race” as ethnicity is something more definable as the other, than the physical traits associated with race.

Especially considering much of the issues with Hispanic or Latino in the country and specifically with trump and AOC. And the complicated history of why PR is still a territory and even in part why NM took so long to become a state. As well as the argument the confederacy can’t be racist because they agreed to stop shipping in black slaves. (The darker skin of the Mexicans/Indians meant they were also inferior in the idea of their supremacy and suited to get slave labor from the south, so they didn’t need to spend as much money to ship it in from Africa.

, Florida
#6852New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 10:38:24
@mrmhead Said

WFS

Trump was condemned by a terrorist organization for being irresponsible !!

A spokesman for the Taliban -- a group the State Department says is responsible for beheadings, amputations, stonings and civilian casualties -- condemned Trump's remarks as "irresponsible."
Link

Well, damn.. later in the article it mentions Trump lying about India ...

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

NE, Ohio
#6853New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 15:13:46
@DiscordTiger Said

Going back to slavery or even biblical times. A master had a working relationship with a slave. Sometimes slaves were very close to the family that owned them. Either in the surrogate mother/caretaker roles or like in the case of Jefferson- lover. He was very close to black person, so close to sally he was inside her multiple times. But yet he owned her refused to free their children, and still upheld one of the most racist parts of our country’s system. Proximity wasn’t a deterrent to feeling superior or the action of discrimination.

No worries, your argument is a common one. Not saying what is right or wrong, just it’s complicated and proximity isn’t enough for me to give someone the racist pass.

Also I do think chaski is on to something that it is more ethnicity/nationality more than “race” as ethnicity is something more definable as the other, than the physical traits associated with race.

Especially considering much of the issues with Hispanic or Latino in the country and specifically with trump and AOC. And the complicated history of why PR is still a territory and even in part why NM took so long to become a state. As well as the argument the confederacy can’t be racist because they agreed to stop shipping in black slaves. (The darker skin of the Mexicans/Indians meant they were also inferior in the idea of their supremacy and suited to get slave labor from the south, so they didn’t need to spend as much money to ship it in from Africa.

OK Yes -
Right or wrong, I view racism as a vehement hatred.
Your definition is a little wider than mine

In the case of slave owners that felt superior, yet were kind or compassionate - or at least fair - I don't view them racist. They are just products of their society. Not sure what derogatory label I would use for them. I suppose it would come down to "Why". Cheap labor? - Opportunists. Believing they are biologically superior? - Ignorant.

I think I am superior to dogs. I own dogs, and I "love" them. Though, I don't feel I am species-ist.

If I were Jewish and I hated all Germans from the get-go because of the Holocaust - close minded and ignorant.

Hate has many faces

Back to Trump.
I think a lot of what he says is to get his base excited, who are racist, white supremacists, homophobes, xenophobes, ethno-bigots, and ... I'm sure there are some good people too.

A basket of deplorables, with a few good potatoes.

, Florida
#6854New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 18:21:55
Can’t wait to catch news of the Mueller hearings. I wonder how it went.

, Florida
#6855New Post! Jul 24, 2019 @ 18:43:16
@mrmhead Said

OK Yes -
Right or wrong, I view racism as a vehement hatred.
Your definition is a little wider than mine

In the case of slave owners that felt superior, yet were kind or compassionate - or at least fair - I don't view them racist. They are just products of their society. Not sure what derogatory label I would use for them. I suppose it would come down to "Why". Cheap labor? - Opportunists. Believing they are biologically superior? - Ignorant.

I think I am superior to dogs. I own dogs, and I "love" them. Though, I don't feel I am species-ist.

If I were Jewish and I hated all Germans from the get-go because of the Holocaust - close minded and ignorant.

Hate has many faces

Back to Trump.
I think a lot of what he says is to get his base excited, who are racist, white supremacists, homophobes, xenophobes, ethno-bigots, and ... I'm sure there are some good people too.

A basket of deplorables, with a few good potatoes.

Hate hoax
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...455 456 457 458 459 ...614 615 616 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs