Sports

England's Magnificent Achievement

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2019 @ 19:17:45
After a nail-biting finish in today's final, England beat New Zealand to secure their first ever ICC Cricket World Cup win.

This means England are the first - and obviously so far, the only - country to have won the three major global field sports tournaments. FIFA World Cup, Rugby World Cup and ICC Cricket World Cup.

July 1966 FIFA World Cup

November 2003 Rugby World Cup

July 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup

We gave these sports to the world in a spirit of spreading our culture to those who would learn to love sport and play it in the spirit of competitive friendship.

The list of sports we have invented or developed from other origins is not exhaustive. I could list others. We don't own them though. We gave them to the world. If the British have given one thing to the world we can hold our heads up and say "That's special", it's organised sport.

Other countries have become far better at playing them than we have. Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, France... any number of others all beat England regularly at football.

In Rugby, the magnificent, all conquering All Blacks - and their Southern Hemisphere cohorts, Australia and South Africa have ruled the roost for decades. And rightly so. They have developed the game far better than we have.

In cricket, England have played second (and sometimes third) fiddle to Australia, India and the West Indies at various times.

All these countries, and others, have taken the games invented, codified and given life to on this small island, and then shared freely for them to enjoy.

If they have become more proficient than us then that's OK. We admire them for their skill, their strength and their competitiveness.

But we are the first to win the "Big Three" tournaments. And in a way, that's fitting. Old Mother England showing that even if other countries may be better than us in one or two of those sports, we're still pretty good at all three. We've shown we can STILL be the best at the sports we invented, even if it's only once.

I'm not being boastful when I say "Well played England." But tonight we unashamedly bask in our achievement for what it is.

Sport. It's no longer "coming home",

It's come home.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 14, 2019 @ 19:45:36
Hahahaha..... Guess what I did.

Have any of you spotted my deliberate error..? In the photos above I posted an image of the England WOMEN's team winning their version of the world cup in 2017.

My ooops.

This is more like it. This was the scene at Lords' about half an hour ago.

I'm a bit too excited.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs