Ravelry changes

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#1New Post! Jul 07, 2019 @ 23:21:11
Anyone in the know on the whole ravelry forum changes?

It’s a knitting/craft forum. The biggest.

They changed their TOS in the same way the rpg.net gaming forum did.

Just curious as it might be a trend, and something I think we’ve been noticing ripples of on the internet.

I think these changes would not work for TFS, but because we are a general forum not a topical one like the other two. So just interested in people’s thoughts, not that I’d want to see it here— I’m mostly asking in my interests as an internet user not as moderator. I do see the issue from multiple sides because I have modded though, and it’s tough.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 07, 2019 @ 23:24:52
What do the changes consist of?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#3New Post! Jul 07, 2019 @ 23:31:06
Sorry, forgot that part.
And I’m paraphrasing since I don’t belong to either forum.

They banned trump support as being white supremacy. So no MAGA talk or patterns, and no “build the wall”. Seems like it also applies to avatars, photos, and conversations. It’s not necessary a ban on all thinks conservative - just open support for this administration providing a “not safe” experience for those that don’t uphold white supremacy.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#4New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 00:03:06
@DiscordTiger Said

Sorry, forgot that part.

They banned trump support as being white supremacy. So no MAGA talk or patterns, and no “build the wall”. Seems like it also applies to avatars, photos, and conversations. It’s not necessary a ban on all thinks conservative - just open support for this administration providing a “not safe” experience for those that don’t uphold white supremacy.

hmmm
chaski On about 16 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 00:19:25
@DiscordTiger Said

Sorry, forgot that part.

I think banning Trump stuff is caving to the divisiveness that he chooses to promote.

Bad idea.

MAGA is a stupid logo designed to attract the gullible, but in and of itself it isn't "white supremacy".

People like Alex Jones and Louis Farrakhan... sure, ban them based on their lies, racism, etc... but banning open support for this administration is wrong.

I know people who support Trump... those people are mostly thoughtful, considerate people, they've just let their guard down and allowed themselves to be duped by stupidity. That isn't worthy of being censored.

etc.

(Side note: It is a bit like religion. I never tell anyone to not believe whatever they want to... I challenge them on what they believe, but do not censor them. I don't block religious people. In fact, my best argument to the religious is "read your holy book". Sets them off every time. With Trump it is ultimately the same, the best argument is facts. Sets of Trump fans every time.

Truly hilarious... )
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 01:05:24
@DiscordTiger Said

Sorry, forgot that part.

Has it become a rabid infestation of the conversations on the forums?
Are there spam-bots flooding the forum?

If it's just an occasional thread here and there - like on TFS - and in the proper "politial" or "random" or such forums, I don't think the topics should be outright banned.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#7New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 02:00:26
I had understood that it was a case where anytime a POC designer posted stuff or a POC knitter would say something and the trump supporters would make it about race and it would turn nasty.

The focus of the forum was about knitting rather than politics. Though they were one of the the big push behind there distribution of the pussy hats.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#8New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 02:01:51
I don’t remember the gaming Site drama and what initiated that, just that ravelry followed suit.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#9New Post! Jul 08, 2019 @ 06:48:56
@chaski Said

I think banning Trump stuff is caving to the divisiveness that he chooses to promote.

Bad idea.

MAGA is a stupid logo designed to attract the gullible, but in and of itself it isn't "white supremacy".

People like Alex Jones and Louis Farrakhan... sure, ban them based on their lies, racism, etc... but banning open support for this administration is wrong.

I know people who support Trump... those people are mostly thoughtful, considerate people, they've just let their guard down and allowed themselves to be duped by stupidity. That isn't worthy of being censored.

etc.

(Side note: It is a bit like religion. I never tell anyone to not believe whatever they want to... I challenge them on what they believe, but do not censor them. I don't block religious people. In fact, my best argument to the religious is "read your holy book". Sets them off every time. With Trump it is ultimately the same, the best argument is facts. Sets of Trump fans every time.

Truly hilarious... )

Yes, while I believe trump and many individuals in his administration actively create and support policy that upholds traditionally white supremacist ideas and concepts, I’m not sure I can straight up draw the line that supporting him = white supremacist. Though I also see where many supporters online also engage in vile attacks on POC and that’s not even considering microagressions that do drive people away from online participation because it’s just not worth dealing with it.

Many seem to be complaining that the vile behavior can be dealt with and the rules were too broad because it sweeps up many that may not agree. And of course the argument is if you won’t take a stand- you’re complicit so you might as well agree.

Individually it’s easier to draw the line or know it’s being interpreted wrong. But when making those calls it’s easier to claim favoritism, unless the lines are clearly communicated.
It’s not an easy line to walk and often there ends up being a bunch of scorched earth.

I don’t thing trump started it though he does feed on the divisiveness. It’s been a long time brewing. White supremacy and it’s role in our society runs deep. It’s bigger than a few people and one administration.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs