Wasp that in my tree?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#16New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 20:19:00
@psycoskunk Said

Mud wasps are nasty bastards. I haven't gotten stung by one, but I've seen the results.

If you want a really scary wasp, here's the Tarantula Hawk Wasp.

Fun fact: They have the second most painful sting in the insect world, the first being the bullet ant.

It's how insects communicate. Every wasp, bee and ant species use different pheromones for different things, mainly to find food or to defend the nest. Yellow jackets release a pheromone when they're killed, alerting the nearby hive about a potential attacker, for instance.

They're finding that plants communicate with each other as well through airborne chemicals ... not sure if we're allowed to call them pheromones ...
And it's not just in that M. Night Shamalan movie.

https://www.wired.com/2013/12/secret-language-of-plants/
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#17New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 21:44:40
@mrmhead Said

They're finding that plants communicate with each other as well through airborne chemicals ... not sure if we're allowed to call them pheromones ...

I've read about that too. Although pheromones are more associated with insects and animals, I think it's safe to say that the chemicals plants use are types of pheromones too. Some can even special-tailor their pheromones depending ont eh scenario.

Tobacco plants can actually attract the predators of whatever's feeding on them by absorbing the saliva of the insect feeding on it, mixing it into their 'alarm' response pheromone and releasing it into the air. Predatory wasps, praying manti and spiders are just a few of the creatures that'll come to a tobacco plant's 'aid,' although it's really just ringing a dinner bell.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#18New Post! Aug 08, 2016 @ 22:32:55
@psycoskunk Said

Mud wasps are nasty bastards. I haven't gotten stung by one, but I've seen the results.

Fun fact: They have the second most painful sting in the insect world, the first being the bullet ant.

It's how insects communicate. Every wasp, bee and ant species use different pheromones for different things, mainly to find food or to defend the nest. Yellow jackets release a pheromone when they're killed, alerting the nearby hive about a potential attacker, for instance.

Mud wasps have been unusually docile in my opinion & experience. Those large Orange bodied with blue/black paper wasps are fairly nasty (been stung by them). Many paper wasps will just as soon sting you as look at you. In fact- they often will sit on the nest UNTIL you look at them- then hells to pay!

I love the Tarantula hawks- they are pretty kewl.

Our lovely Cicada Killer
Kinshi86 On January 31, 2018

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
#19New Post! Aug 09, 2016 @ 13:55:30
@mrmhead Said

As long as the same thing that happened in the movie, doesn't happen in real life they can have all the pheromones they want.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#20New Post! Aug 09, 2016 @ 18:59:01
@shinobinoz Said

Mud wasps have been unusually docile in my opinion & experience. Those large Orange bodied with blue/black paper wasps are fairly nasty (been stung by them). Many paper wasps will just as soon sting you as look at you. In fact- they often will sit on the nest UNTIL you look at them- then hells to pay!

I love the Tarantula hawks- they are pretty kewl.

Our lovely Cicada Killer

Yeah. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances when it happened. There used to be a small, concrete water park in Granville park when I was young, but sometimes the water jets would get stuck and water would just dribble out into the grass nearby which would make a literal 'pool' of mud for the wasps to enjoy too. Usually it was just yellow jackets, but one of the kids at our daycare was running by and I guess he stepped on one because he suddenly started screaming bloody murder. Right away, the staff ran over and I knew right away it was the wasps, so I was telling him to try and walk towards the staff, but he was screaming so loud he couldn't hear me. He ended up tripping and falling butt first into the puddle just as the staff got to him to bring him back to the daycare center, less than a block away.

His foot was all swollen up and it kept oozing a yellowish, clear liquid every time they tried to dab it with paper towel. It was terrifying for a 7 year old to see and I'm sure even more so for him to experience.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#21New Post! Aug 09, 2016 @ 22:47:26
@psycoskunk Said

Yeah. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances when it happened. There used to be a small, concrete water park in Granville park when I was young, but sometimes the water jets would get stuck and water would just dribble out into the grass nearby which would make a literal 'pool' of mud for the wasps to enjoy too. Usually it was just yellow jackets, but one of the kids at our daycare was running by and I guess he stepped on one because he suddenly started screaming bloody murder. Right away, the staff ran over and I knew right away it was the wasps, so I was telling him to try and walk towards the staff, but he was screaming so loud he couldn't hear me. He ended up tripping and falling butt first into the puddle just as the staff got to him to bring him back to the daycare center, less than a block away.

His foot was all swollen up and it kept oozing a yellowish, clear liquid every time they tried to dab it with paper towel. It was terrifying for a 7 year old to see and I'm sure even more so for him to experience.

Might be (bee?) allergic! That is pretty dangerous.

A yellow jacket got into my little brothers pop can when he wasn't looking & popped him in the lip. Swelled up really big. Was funny looking to us siblings who can be cruel.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#22New Post! Aug 09, 2016 @ 23:44:38
when I was a kid , I was myself.

I was cutting though my neighbor's backyard. I was on wooden fence that was over a garage that the roof, and the fence.

it little hard to explain between the end of both neighbor's backyard, there is wooden picket fence with some chicken wires. to avoid what I was doing to and keep animals like dogs.

so I decided to played like tom sawyer and walked the spaces between the fence, where the barb wires and chicken wires were hanging between the spaces. where I put my legs on the fence.

I don't worry about the roof of one neighbor's garage, the fence and the roof were the same height. so I fell on the roof or fell off the fence to other neighbor's backyard.

I would just only go boom -boom to the ground or the roof, I was pretty safety.

this in the summertime, I was my short. I was on the fence acting tom sawyer. I was doing fine.

then a wasp landing on my right knee, but I was standing in between the fence's space, where your hands on the fence to talk to your neighbor. or what I could have climbed over the fence.

before, I could do anything, the wasp bite me. I think about 15 years old. then my knee was swelling like a baseball, then I stopped playing on the fence. then I stepped on the roof, and beside on the neighbor's backyard.

there was little path of grass that led to the bottom of the side of the garage, that I walked down. by time, I got down to the grown , I was limping pretty much.

so, I lived across the street from my neighbor, who never saw me, playing back there.

so my mom also had a cow, when she saw my knee. It really swollen. my mom gave me a cold compass and told me to watching tv in my sister's bedroom with my two sisters.

my family is allergic to bee's stings. so my mom called my doctor immediately. my doctor called back 20 to 30 minutes later. but the swollen was going down a little bit. by the time, I sitting on the floor of my sister's bedroom, with a cold compass.

my mom gave me a benadyl , when I was in our kitchen. our doctors if we get a bee's sting to take a benadyl to reduced the swelling.

when the doctor called back, and told my mom done good. we didn't have
go to the emergency room at all. I was doing fine about an hour later.

other good news in the story, that my family's dog outside's pen was big enough, if my mom did have a cow then.

NE, Ohio
#23New Post! Aug 10, 2016 @ 00:05:29
Honey, I'm almost done with the addition!

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#24New Post! Aug 10, 2016 @ 00:16:28
@mrmhead Said

Honey, I'm almost done with the addition!

it is weird to look at the wasp's nest, don't think it is a face of a cute little animal.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#25New Post! Aug 10, 2016 @ 05:44:05
@psycoskunk Said

My GySgt got stung by a tarantula hawk wasp. Said it hurt like hell.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#26New Post! Aug 10, 2016 @ 16:59:14
@Cpat92 Said

My GySgt got stung by a tarantula hawk wasp. Said it hurt like hell.

I could imagine. Considering it actually paralyzes spiders, one can only imagine the amount of damage it can do to an actual person.

NE, Ohio
#27New Post! May 16, 2019 @ 12:43:58
Wow, that was almost three years ago.

And rather than starting another Wasp thread, I'll tag on to this one:

The research found that wasps can use a form of logical reasoning to infer unknown relationships from known relationships, according to a press release.
Essentially this means they can work out that if is X is greater than Y, and Y is greater than Z, X is greater than Z -- an ability that was thought to be a key human trait for thousands of years.
In recent decades, however, scientists have shown that vertebrate animals such as birds, monkeys and fish also have this ability, known as transitive inference (TI).

Link
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#28New Post! May 16, 2019 @ 15:07:20

This guy looks like a wasp... but it is really a type of "soldier fly"... they don't bite or sting... they are imposters....

NE, Ohio
#29New Post! May 16, 2019 @ 15:19:17
@chaski Said

This guy looks like a wasp... but it is really a type of "soldier fly"... they don't bite or sting... they are imposters....

But if it keeps the predators away...!

Like that fake Monarch butterfly. Supposedly Monarchs taste bad (never tried one) and another species evolved to look like them so they will be left off the menu as well.

Well, it probably wasn't a "purposeful" evolution, more like a "natural selection"
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#30New Post! May 16, 2019 @ 15:21:42
@mrmhead Said

But if it keeps the predators away...!

Like that fake Monarch butterfly. Supposedly Monarchs taste bad (never tried one) and another species evolved to look like them so they will be left off the menu as well.

Well, it probably wasn't a "purposeful" evolution, more like a "natural selection"

This one goes around telling everyone that he is the GREATEST MOST DANGEROUS KILLER OF ALL TIMES...

or at least since Abraham Lincoln...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs