Mensa Organization Test

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#16New Post! Apr 19, 2019 @ 22:33:22
@chaski Said

I once had an employee who told me I should take the Mensa test.

I'm not sure if he was being serious, sucking up to the boss, or trying to set me up for failure.

You'd probably answer the questions on the wrong pages

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#17New Post! Apr 19, 2019 @ 23:45:05
@Leon Said

Anybody taken one? Or is a member? I am taking it in a few weeks and am wondering if anyone else has experience with it.

Mensa Organization info

Janet used to have that. She's dried up like a Thanksgiving turkey these days bless her heart.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#18New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 02:33:37
@gakINGKONG Said

Janet used to have that. She's dried up like a Thanksgiving turkey these days bless her heart.

I have no idea what this means.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#19New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 02:39:24
@darkman666 Said

exactly, how questions are there to take this test? what types of sections or fields are, how many parts are in a section or a field?

So, overall, it was tiring. It’s mostly a series of speed tests. The Reynolds Adaptable Intelligence Test has 7 sections, each with 40-50 multiple choice questions and each with 5-10 minutes to answer as many as you can. The sections range from identifying celebrities (so it’s knowledge based after all), math computations, pattern recognition, groupings, and two others that I don’t remember anymore. The Wonderlic, given afterwards, is a 50 question test that was all over the place, ranging from vocabulary, to math computations, to analogies, groupings, and so on. 12 minutes to complete. I was a bit worn out though, so I don’t think I did as well on the Wonderlic as I did the RAIT.

I’ll receive the results in a couple of weeks.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#20New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 02:51:23
I’m wondering if the celebrity identification was a bit of cultural awareness and intelligence. Like being able to use that info to relate to others can be a thing often associated with a type of public leadership “genius”. Not to be confused with the awkward absent minded professor type. Or the Huckabee-sanders diagnosed stable kind.

Most intelligence tests try to get at a variety of different aptitudes.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#21New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 02:55:44
@DiscordTiger Said

I’m wondering if the celebrity identification was a bit of cultural awareness and intelligence. Like being able to use that info to relate to others can be a thing often associated with a type of public leadership “genius”. Not to be confused with the awkward absent minded professor type. Or the Huckabee-sanders diagnosed stable kind.

Most intelligence tests try to get at a variety of different aptitudes.

Probably. I’m not going to argue against its inclusion.

But I will say there were a few names who I had no idea who they were and a few names that I knew who were but could probably guess that most others wouldn’t due to my keen interest in their fields.

They had the option of a cultural-free test too, which I didn’t take.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#22New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 03:01:56
One thing I did realize that I hadn’t realized as much before is that IQ is based on the speed of which you can process things as it is the ability to process things.
chaski On about 14 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#23New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 04:45:04
@Leon Said

One thing I did realize that I hadn’t realized as much before is that IQ is based on the speed of which you can process things as it is the ability to process things.

So a question might be:

If it takes "you" 10 minutes to come to the correct answer when it takes "me" 30 minutes to come to the correct answer, while "you" have a higher IQ... are you actually "smarter"?

There are certainly scenarios when the quicker mind is more "useful"...
Darkman666 On 22 minutes ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#24New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 05:05:47
@Leon Said

So, overall, it was tiring. It’s mostly a series of speed tests. The Reynolds Adaptable Intelligence Test has 7 sections, each with 40-50 multiple choice questions and each with 5-10 minutes to answer as many as you can. The sections range from identifying celebrities (so it’s knowledge based after all), math computations, pattern recognition, groupings, and two others that I don’t remember anymore. The Wonderlic, given afterwards, is a 50 question test that was all over the place, ranging from vocabulary, to math computations, to analogies, groupings, and so on. 12 minutes to complete. I was a bit worn out though, so I don’t think I did as well on the Wonderlic as I did the RAIT.

I’ll receive the results in a couple of weeks.

I think I would try the indentifying celebrities like a good looking babe wearing one piece American flag swimming suit. you know the babe is besty ross. she was really hot, my great father used dated her in college. they were going get married, but not because she was not jewish. because my grandpa compromised her on the beach one night. they caught and they burned her to death, because she wearing her American flag swimsuit. where the law came from you get let the America flag touch the ground ever, you must burn it.

it sound more sat tests in school, we took.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#25New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 13:11:02
@chaski Said

So a question might be:

If it takes "you" 10 minutes to come to the correct answer when it takes "me" 30 minutes to come to the correct answer, while "you" have a higher IQ... are you actually "smarter"?

There are certainly scenarios when the quicker mind is more "useful"...

I remember watching a movie 25 years ago in which Samuel Jackson played a speed chess master. In one scene, he talks about Bobby Fisher and how he was considered the greatest chess player of all time, but that, if the clock was sped up, he (Jackson’s character), would “whup his ass.”

So, if true, who would be considered smarter or with the higher IQ?

Personally, I do better when given time to figure things out. This is probably why I am not very good at video games (although I do enjoy them) And why I do better in chess without the clock. I like to step back, view things with a wider lens, see the whole picture, organize, think ahead, take considerations into play, etc, as part of solving problems.
Darkman666 On 22 minutes ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#26New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 14:21:13
I remember in 60's, when a little kid. there was a board game of chess. it would better on computer.

this game did have the pieces of chess. it teached how play chess on your own. I learned what the pieces are, what they were called. I remember the pieces, I never remember how to move each chess piece on the board.

the game open a briefcase like format. the inside of the top case gave famous chess games of the past for you to learn how to play.

I never understood how play the game back then, but, if you salt on the chess pieces and put on ritz crackers, they really taste pretty good!
chaski On about 14 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#27New Post! Apr 21, 2019 @ 14:36:58
@Leon Said

Personally, I do better when given time to figure things out.

Same here... you might be surprised how long it took me to write my last post!
MarkAnthony On May 02, 2019

Dublin, Ireland
#28New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 07:08:29
I hate talking about IQ's :D

It's always so pretentious and I don't put much stock in a number to sum anyone up.

For what it's worth, I measure with a high IQ and was a member of this weird elite high IQ club for gifted kids. All these kids were geniuses, more so than me, at best I was the dumbest of the smartest kids!

What I found is that IQ is a very limited test of real general ability, a lot of these kids were dumb in other ways, like sometimes socially but often just terrible critical thinkers. I had it too, but when you blaze through school never meeting a challenge you never build character or learn how to be wrong or to overcome a challenge.

This is all speaking in general, there were of course people who were amazingly smart and amazing people too.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#29New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 12:21:21
@Leon Said

I remember watching a movie 25 years ago in which Samuel Jackson played a speed chess master. In one scene, he talks about Bobby Fisher and how he was considered the greatest chess player of all time, but that, if the clock was sped up, he (Jackson’s character), would “whup his ass.”

So, if true, who would be considered smarter or with the higher IQ?

Personally, I do better when given time to figure things out. This is probably why I am not very good at video games (although I do enjoy them) And why I do better in chess without the clock. I like to step back, view things with a wider lens, see the whole picture, organize, think ahead, take considerations into play, etc, as part of solving problems.

The better chess player would be one who could do all those things faster than his or her opponent though, wouldn't it? Not saying you're stupid, just that someone who can beat you at chess with the clock running is absolutely a better chess player than you.

How quickly we are able to figure things out is definitely a measure of intelligence, but we have different rulers that we are each better measured with than others. I say this as someone who doesn't play chess very well at all against a clock, but who can crack the code of a cryptogram within a minute or two with no hints and without writing anything down.

I'm sure there are things you can do quickly with your brain that most people can't...that I can't. It's just a matter of what those things are.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#30New Post! Apr 30, 2019 @ 13:49:57
@Eaglebauer Said

The better chess player would be one who could do all those things faster than his or her opponent though, wouldn't it? Not saying you're stupid, just that someone who can beat you at chess with the clock running is absolutely a better chess player than you.

How quickly we are able to figure things out is definitely a measure of intelligence, but we have different rulers that we are each better measured with than others. I say this as someone who doesn't play chess very well at all against a clock, but who can crack the code of a cryptogram within a minute or two with no hints and without writing anything down.

I'm sure there are things you can do quickly with your brain that most people can't...that I can't. It's just a matter of what those things are.

Yeah, I didn’t realize how much speed is a part of any measure of intelligence, but it certainly all makes sense.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs