Politics

Emmanuel Macron : Dear Europe,

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 05, 2019 @ 00:03:09
Tomorrow, Emmanuel Macron, President of France will address all the EU states in a letter that will be printed in newspapers of every member state.

In UK, the Guardian will publish this letter in which he sets out his vision for the future and appeals to Europeans to reject the narrow minded nationalism that has caused Britain to break away.

Dear Europe, Brexit Is A Lesson For Us All

Snippets:

"The trap lies not in being part of the European Union; the trap is in the lie and the irresponsibility that can destroy it. Who told the British people the truth about their post-Brexit future? Who spoke to them about losing access to the EU market? Who mentioned the risks to peace in Ireland of restoring the border? Retreating into nationalism offers nothing; it is rejection without an alternative. And this is the trap that threatens the whole of Europe: the anger mongers, backed by fake news, promise anything and everything."

"Nationalists are misguided when they claim to defend our identity by withdrawing from the EU, because it is European civilisation that unites, frees and protects us. But those who would change nothing are also misguided, because they deny the fear felt by our people, the doubts that undermine our democracies."

"Freedom, protection and progress: we need to build European renewal on these pillars. We can’t let nationalists with no solutions exploit people’s anger. We can’t sleepwalk to a diminished Europe."

I like the sound of a Conference For Europe. This could be the start of the reform we have long said needed to happen and should have pushed harder for. It will make the EU stronger, more progressive, more united and more secure.

What a shame isolated, impoverished and divided Britain won't be a part of that.

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#2New Post! Mar 05, 2019 @ 01:00:58
We can all hope for the best.

Kiss a baby and make a berry pie. Gluttony is a glorious short-term distraction.

Aside from this, I think you will probably be okay after the Brexit event happens if it does. And, isn't there the possibility it may not happen?

Good of you to share the latest and greatest. Carry on.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 07, 2019 @ 11:53:14
It looks more than ever likely that Britain will crash out of the EU without signing up to the Withdrawal Agreement without which there can be no subsequent negotiation on any sort of trade deal with the EU.*

Britain, at a stroke, loses access to 500 million customers in Europe and will have to re-negotiate trade deals with all the other states that Britain had access to via EU agreements, some 40+ countries. 6 have currently been signed but all of them are financially disadvantageous to UK...which is probably why those countries were eager to sign them so quickly.

I can't begin to tell you how bad this is going to be. It would take far too long. It's going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

*Exceptional arrangements could be possible, but would require the unanimous approval of all 27 member states, and Spain have already said they would exercise their veto.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Mar 07, 2019 @ 16:38:30
You seem very passionate about this issue. I was curious as to how Brexit affects/would affect you personally Try and leave out how it affects Britain or its people in general in your response here unless it includes you.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 08, 2019 @ 12:41:57
@Leon Said

You seem very passionate about this issue. I was curious as to how Brexit affects/would affect you personally Try and leave out how it affects Britain or its people in general in your response here unless it includes you.

I live in a fishing and farming community. Both of these are affected dramatically by Brexit.

Every year, the EU contributes (contributed..?) £37.9 billion (about $49.5 billion US) on direct payments to farmers and fishermen across the EU, of which Britain gets 7% or approximately £2.65 billion (approx $3.46 billion US).

The British government issued their plans for regional spending, post Brexit this week (see my post elsewhere). It amounts to £1.6 billion ($2.08 billion US) over six years

As you can easily see, that is going to hit fishing and farming communities all over the country, not just in Cornwall, but as a greater proportion of the local economy is tied up in these two industries, it will impact very seriously on my entire county. The place where I live. It will seriously adversely affect the lives of everybody living here.

I'm looking at going back to work in the next year or so, having spent the last seven years as a full time mum and housewife.

I'm a biologist by profession. The EU has stopped investing in research and development projects for British universities and scientific institutions. The chances of me getting employment back in my profession are dwindling all the time. One laboratory in Camborne is in the process of moving out of UK already. Others may follow.

Even if I wasn't as "out of the loop" as I am now, there are others coming onto the labour market whose skills and recent experience are much more current than mine. It's highly likely that I'll have to look outside of the profession I worked and studied so hard for, just to get a job.

If that isn't personally detrimental enough Leon, what is...?
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Mar 08, 2019 @ 14:23:17
@Jennifer1984 Said

I live in a fishing and farming community. Both of these are affected dramatically by Brexit.

Every year, the EU contributes (contributed..?) £37.9 billion (about $49.5 billion US) on direct payments to farmers and fishermen across the EU, of which Britain gets 7% or approximately £2.65 billion (approx $3.46 billion US).

The British government issued their plans for regional spending, post Brexit this week (see my post elsewhere). It amounts to £1.6 billion ($2.08 billion US) over six years

As you can easily see, that is going to hit fishing and farming communities all over the country, not just in Cornwall, but as a greater proportion of the local economy is tied up in these two industries, it will impact very seriously on my entire county. The place where I live. It will seriously adversely affect the lives of everybody living here.

I'm looking at going back to work in the next year or so, having spent the last seven years as a full time mum and housewife.

I'm a biologist by profession. The EU has stopped investing in research and development projects for British universities and scientific institutions. The chances of me getting employment back in my profession are dwindling all the time. One laboratory in Camborne is in the process of moving out of UK already. Others may follow.

Even if I wasn't as "out of the loop" as I am now, there are others coming onto the labour market whose skills and recent experience are much more current than mine. It's highly likely that I'll have to look outside of the profession I worked and studied so hard for, just to get a job.

If that isn't personally detrimental enough Leon, what is...?

Thank you. I hope it all works out for you.
TankGirl On December 10, 2019

Dublin, Ireland
#7New Post! Mar 08, 2019 @ 14:31:18
Although over 65% of people in Northern Ireland voted to say in the EU, they have no choice but to put up with whatever the London government throws their way. The Good Friday agreement that's brought 20 years of peace to the region is under threat with the probably re-instatement of hard borders and trade barriers, as well as the more everyday social cost of the numerous all-Ireland social and economic initiatives that have brought divided communities together and put the past behind them.

Apart from that cost, the economic outlook, the lies that were told to secure the referendum result, it's an act of social and economic suicide that can only be explained by the trending Google search the day after the leave result was confirmed :

"What is the EU?"

People didn't even understand what they were voting to leave.

Brexit won't make Britain great again, it'll send it into depression, recession, and isolation. And I think it's too late to stop it now.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 08, 2019 @ 16:02:58
Some Brexiters are arguing that a no-deal Brexit is a remote prospect. They are wrong. I would argue it is the most likely outcome – unless something completely out of the blue happens, but this is how things COULD happen in the next week or so.....

1) It's unlikely that May will secure enough changes to the backstop to win a vote for the Withdrawal Agreement (WA), AKA "The Deal" exclusively from Tory MPs, the DUP and a modest number of leave-supporting Labour MPs

2) The likelihood is also low of May risking the break up of her party by pursuing all the way to formal agreeing with Corbyn on a Brexit deal built on Labour’s core condition that the UK must remain in the Customs Union.

3) I'ts a better than even bet that the House will put a bill before Parliament that would – if passed – force May to request a delay to the date the UK leaves the EU.

4) The likelihood is better than even that MPs and The House of Lords pass that legislation which would force the PM to ask EU leaders to delay Brexit.

5) The EU can only delay Brexit if there is a unanimous agreement to do so. It's impossible to say how that might go at this time. Spain look the most likely to veto any UK request.

6) The EU would only agree to a delay of a couple of months to avoid UK taking part in EU elections to the European Parliament in June. It's extremely unlikely that a couple of months would be long enough for MPs to work out what kind of Brexit deal, if any, they would support, and then to get the EU to agree to it.

7) The leaders of the EU’s 27 nations would take the view there is very little point in delaying Brexit at all unless it is clear what kind of Brexit deal would win a majority in the House of Commons.

8) There is no mechanism at present for assessing what kind of Brexit deal would win the support of MPs.

9) All the focus on the backstop, and the insurance policy for keeping open the border on the island of Ireland, has distracted from what is actually the biggest obstacle to a Brexit deal – which is that there is no consensus in parliament on what the UK’s future long-term relationship with the EU should be.

10) It is highly probable that it would take the UK at least another year to establish what kind of future relationship it wants with the EU – and probably longer to negotiate that relationship.

11) The probability of the EU giving the UK as long as it realistically needs to recover from its Brexit nervous breakdown and say with clarity what kind of future relationship it wants with the EU is infinitesimally small unless UK makes a firm commitment to a second referendum.

12) The history of the EU blinking at the last moment when the going gets tough is irrelevant here – because there are too many moving parts, and it is not at all clear what “blinking” would actually mean.

13) The answer to the problem of Euro Elections could be met if the EU make an amendment to their rules to state that countries pending departure from the EU under Article 50 rules are not allowed to participate in elections, but if they subsequently decide to remain, could hold belated elections after revoking Article 50.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs