Self Medication, or Self Harm?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#16New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 00:57:53
I have a real issue with needles .
One time when I was at the doctors ,she wanted to do a blood test.
I laughed and about half joking said something like 'maybe after a couple of beers and couple # 10 valiums' , the look on that doctors face was pure horror ' She very serious stated that would kill you '.
Out of my mouth popped 'in who's world doc ?'

Perspective.

Now before anyone by passes the gist of my tale , to jump on the stupidity of my behavior,

I never was much of a pill popper, but in my younger days there were times when the saying ' when in Rome ,,,,,,' applied .
Now even as it was popping out my mouth I realised I had just been stupid enough to poke fun at a woman 15 or so years my senior who has made a career of practising medicine because she had spent countless hours and dollars in med school ,,,,,. And even worse I'm a ignorant hill billy basing my fun poking on parting while justifying it with when in Rome,, .
If any of you have ever been that special kind of stupid, you know the amount of self loathing that spins though your mind quick like that.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#17New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 06:54:25
Some self medicating can slip into self harm. I think the line can get blurred when you use self medicating to avoid something. Like avoiding the dealing with the problem and only addressing the symptoms or avoiding an actual doctor or treatment. Many times it’s hard to see when someone has moved to self harm until it’s done.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with self medicating until it’s interfering with your life.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#18New Post! Feb 20, 2019 @ 10:40:24
@Cpat92 Said

What is the difference between self medication and self harm? How can one differentiate between the two?

For awhile in my early teens I was slamming around 10-12 bottles of bourbon and an absurd number of bongs down my throat each week. That was probably on the self harm side of the self medicating spectrum. My aim was to get my overactive brain to shut up. I basically smashed it til it couldn't yell at me any more.

After doing that for about 2 years I gave up drinking for awhile and just did the other thing, and finally calmed down enough to start thinking about stuff dispassionately. That was self medicating.

I think the difference is the intent. If you're using a substance to stop yourself from thinking it's not self medicating, it's self defeating, even if it isn't harmful.
Jaynes On September 26, 2022

Brighton, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 15:47:01
i think mental health should be tackled, and be more open in society, so much stigma, and discrimination, and more help for people who self harm etc. its also a very sensitive subject, there are people out there suffering in silence, not getting the help they so desperately need.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs