The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

why does america not have a king or queen?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#16New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 23:30:17
@rubylights Said

by who, though? do they get it from the peoples' taxes?

only partially,
say the queen, she has a lot of independent wealth (however questionable the historical source of that wealth)
but she also is technically the head of state and as such taxes pay for her duty in that regards and gives her a considerable wage, as well as paying for security etc.
her part is meeting foreign leaders and having tea or what not.

so a LOT of money gets spent on the royal family,
but not to pay for her jewels or fancy hats.
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#17New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 23:34:33
@alexkidd Said

only partially,
say the queen, she has a lot of independent wealth (however questionable the historical source of that wealth)
but she also is technically the head of state and as such taxes pay for her duty in that regards and gives her a considerable wage, as well as paying for security etc.
her part is meeting foreign leaders and having tea or what not.

so a LOT of money gets spent on the royal family,
but not to pay for her jewels or fancy hats.

oh, i see. thanks for clearing that up. it does all seem rather pointless to me, though...
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#18New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 23:39:01
wasn't it george washington who initially refused to be called the king? I think it was him who decided he wanted to be called the President, wasn't it?
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#19New Post! Jan 20, 2009 @ 23:44:39
@rubylights Said

oh, i see. thanks for clearing that up. it does all seem rather pointless to me, though...

me too,
but i'm biased being Irish i think

its a lot of money spent every year on them, but the bigger picture would include the money they bring into the country with things like tourism and such.
i don't know the numbers but i wouldn't be surprised if with everything considered they were actually good for the economy.

but maybe not, i think its tradition more than economics than keeps them around.
CaLyPsO On June 04, 2022
spankable deity

kent, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Feb 27, 2019 @ 15:50:42
Personally the U.K. would be lost without them ...the tourism itself brings in more than u or I could ever begin to imagine and they play there part diplomatically although sometimes not so great lol

As for why they don't have them ..well they did but a war was fought for independence from the crown and it's been that way ever since.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#21New Post! Feb 27, 2019 @ 15:56:24
@CaLyPsO Said

Personally the U.K. would be lost without them ...the tourism itself brings in more than u or I could ever begin to imagine and they play there part diplomatically although sometimes not so great lol

As for why they don't have them ..well they did but a war was fought for independence from the crown and it's been that way ever since.

Are the children of Diana and Charles up for the job?
CaLyPsO On June 04, 2022
spankable deity

kent, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Feb 27, 2019 @ 15:58:36
@gakINGKONG Said

Are the children of Diana and Charles up for the job?

I actually think yes they are as they are certainly more well liked and seen more as approachable people which I think for the monarchy to survive is needed .
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#23New Post! Feb 27, 2019 @ 16:36:52
@CaLyPsO Said

I actually think yes they are as they are certainly more well liked and seen more as approachable people which I think for the monarchy to survive is needed .

I'm afraid Americans don't always get the best of information. Near the grocery market checkout (I'm in Tampa Florida US), the drama tabloid magazines always paint the worst possible picture. I'm positive that much of what they publish is sensationalized and ought to be ignored.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs