Boxing and MMA

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#76New Post! Dec 04, 2018 @ 13:41:00
" But I'm not going to condone..."
Funnily enough NO one ever asked you to!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#77New Post! Dec 12, 2018 @ 15:08:45
UFC 234 has sold out in a matter of minutes.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#78New Post! Feb 11, 2019 @ 14:40:06
A massive shame for Whittaker. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#79New Post! Feb 11, 2019 @ 14:42:07
The Israel Adesanya v Anderson Silva was a good fight.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#80New Post! Jun 02, 2019 @ 14:15:22
Stunning victory by 25/1 outsider Andy Ruiz Jr over the reigning WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO champ Anthony Joshua. Ruiz took the fight on at short notice and was given very little chance of avoiding being knocked out, never mind winning. The first two rounds were even but after Ruiz was knocked down in the third he came back to get the better of Joshua. In the end Ruiz demolished Joshua in probably the biggest heavyweight boxing upset since Buster Douglas stopped Iron Mike back in 1990. In doing so Ruiz has become Mexico's first ever heavyweight champion.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#81New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 09:55:44
Food for thought. Who would win in a clash btw Mohammed Ali and Mike Tyson when they were both at their best? Would be one hell of a fight. Both have a good defence and quick hands. Mohammed Ali a little more agile, Tyson a heavier hitter.
mrmhead On about 24 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#82New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 11:57:23
@shadowen Said

Food for thought. Who would win in a clash btw Mohammed Ali and Mike Tyson when they were both at their best? Would be one hell of a fight. Both have a good defence and quick hands. Mohammed Ali a little more agile, Tyson a heavier hitter.

An interesting angle on that would be training and prep.

I'd have to believe that training, health regimens and equipment have improved, or be more finely tuned over the past few decades compared to what Ali had. ... and maybe even techniques (biting aside)
It could be an advantage.

Though, Ali was a little bigger and had a little more reach didn't he?

It'd be close .. I'd say 6 out of 10 times Ali would win

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#83New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 13:00:32
I agree with you...

Frazier was around Mike Tyson's height with a similar reach. He also had a fairly similar boxing style to Iron Mike. That said Frazier was well known for working his way into fights and generally got better as the fight went on. Iron Mike on the other hand just came out all guns blazing. Now of course i mention Frazier as he defeated Ali once and had two close losses. On the other side of the coin Ali fought against some really big hitters like Foreman, Liston and Shavers.

Anyway, like you i reckon Ali would win 6 times out of 10.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#84New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 17:10:09
Boxer Dies From Brain Bleed Hours After Winning Fight

Inquest Into Boxers Death

The inquest into the death of Scott Westgarth after a fight in which he received multiple heavy blows to the head and the bout continued, returned a verdict of Death by Misadventure.

In my opinion (which I know nobody has asked for but you're going to get it anyway) taking part in any boxing competition is an act of misadventure by its very nature.

One of the interesting conclusions drawn by the Coroner is that although Westgarth was displaying signs of distress at the end of the bout, these were not sufficient (according to the medical staff present at the time) to indicate that a catastrophic bleed in his brain was taking place. And this raises questions.

If such injuries cannot be reliably detected by ringside doctors, is it not time to call a halt to this deadly, murderous parody of sport...?

A young man's life can be dependent on warning signs being seen and action being taken to get the victim of his own misadventure to appropriate medical care quickly. If the ringside doctor can't spot the warning signs, or is incapable of accurately assessing that a scan is necessary, then it's time to make serious, radical changes to the practice.

Firstly, if I had my way, the whole disgusting practice would be banned. Unfortunately, that is not likely to happen all the time people profit from it.

But changes can be made. I acknowledge that even if Scott Westgarth had been taken straight to a medical facility with a scanner, he would probably have died anyway, but all that does is highlight the severity of the injuries inherent in this barbaric practice.

Firstly, bouts should be restricted to no more than three four minute rounds (or four three minute rounds). That is how amateur and Olympic bouts are carried out without diminution of the event as a contest. Prolonged fighting going on to 10 or 12 rounds, or beyond only increases the risk of serious injury. There is no justification for it.

Another change that might help in the future though would be to legislate so that venues where boxing bouts are held MUST install brain scanning facilities that are fully manned by skilled practitioners on the night of the event. Every boxer must be immediately scanned after the bout on every occasion of boxing. The cost is to be borne by the venue. It will not be met from NHS funds.

Hospitals in the area must be forewarned that boxing events are taking place and injured boxers may need immediate medical attention.

I would go further and ban punches to the head. Only blows to the body between the shoulder and waist should be acceptable and in any case, protective padding should be worn to chest level at that. Body protection is worn by Tai Kwando fighters without restricting their movement or ability to compete. There is no reason why boxing can't follow suit

If Boxing is all about discipline, strength and courage, then those attributes do not need bludgeoning an opponent senseless to be demonstrated. The risk of causing injuries leading to death are too high to carry on in this way.

Another death in the ring. Another wholly unnecessary loss of life for the excitement of blood-crazed morons and the profit of promoters who only see the cash value of a young man who is too dazzled by dreams of stardom or riches, or too immature to see the risk he is taking.

It should be stopped altogether. But if it can't be stopped, then it should be made as safe as it possibly can be.

Lives, literally, depend on it.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#85New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 18:46:14
@Jennifer1984 Said

is it not time to call a halt to this deadly, murderous parody of sport...?

if I had my way, the whole disgusting practice would be banned...

It should be stopped altogether...

Hmmm, funny that. On another thread, when talking about MMA you said:

"THANKS dipping in with news about martial arts, Pat. NOT MY THING, BUT HEY...SPORT IS A WIDE CANVAS."

Spot the inconsistency?

Speaking of inconsistency. Why is it that you always get indignant if people don't respect the subject of the thread when it suits you, but are ever willing to disrespect other threads?

Again, as it states at the very beginning, this is a thread for those who ENJOY........well boxing and MMA!

As I have stated previously, if there was a thread "for those who ENJOY rugby" would you be happy with someone posting to that thread how much they hate the sport etc?

So for the umpteenth time, if you want to start a thread about the evils of boxing and why it should be banned then go right ahead. Absolutely NO one is stopping you, but for once you might do yourself what you demand of others and respect the nature of the thread.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#86New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 20:32:20
And its funny how you demand people show respect when you show none for anything but your own opinion.

You've got no room to demand respect for anything until you start showing some yourself. You have no respect for the British people and yet you make post after post after post telling us how we should behave in our own country. You hounded Geoff off the forum........ you even told him what he could and couldn't call Scotland... his own country..!!

You're umpteen thousand bloody miles from here and you tell us how to run our own affairs and tell me that I'm an anti-democratic traitor in my own land because I make comments about Brexit.... something that pertains directly to me and my life and have absolutely nothing to do with you. Your arrogance is breathtaking.

Until you start to show some respect for me and my country, you'll get none from me. You started on me the moment I came onto the football forum with sexist comments and you've made it quite clear time after time that you don't like women having a say on sport. You're a woman-hating sexist bigot with too big an opinion of his own wind and self importance.

And I'll post on any forum I like in any way I like.

Get used to it.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#87New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 20:34:47
And I still say boxing should be banned.
mrmhead On about 24 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#88New Post! May 28, 2020 @ 21:14:07
@Jennifer1984 Said

Boxer Dies From Brain Bleed Hours After Winning Fight

Inquest Into Boxers Death

The inquest into the death of Scott Westgarth after a fight in which he received multiple heavy blows to the head and the bout continued, returned a verdict of Death by Misadventure.

In my opinion (which I know nobody has asked for but you're going to get it anyway) taking part in any boxing competition is an act of misadventure by its very nature.

One of the interesting conclusions drawn by the Coroner is that although Westgarth was displaying signs of distress at the end of the bout, these were not sufficient (according to the medical staff present at the time) to indicate that a catastrophic bleed in his brain was taking place. And this raises questions.

If such injuries cannot be reliably detected by ringside doctors, is it not time to call a halt to this deadly, murderous parody of sport...?

A young man's life can be dependent on warning signs being seen and action being taken to get the victim of his own misadventure to appropriate medical care quickly. If the ringside doctor can't spot the warning signs, or is incapable of accurately assessing that a scan is necessary, then it's time to make serious, radical changes to the practice.

Firstly, if I had my way, the whole disgusting practice would be banned. Unfortunately, that is not likely to happen all the time people profit from it.

But changes can be made. I acknowledge that even if Scott Westgarth had been taken straight to a medical facility with a scanner, he would probably have died anyway, but all that does is highlight the severity of the injuries inherent in this barbaric practice.

Firstly, bouts should be restricted to no more than three four minute rounds (or four three minute rounds). That is how amateur and Olympic bouts are carried out without diminution of the event as a contest. Prolonged fighting going on to 10 or 12 rounds, or beyond only increases the risk of serious injury. There is no justification for it.

Another change that might help in the future though would be to legislate so that venues where boxing bouts are held MUST install brain scanning facilities that are fully manned by skilled practitioners on the night of the event. Every boxer must be immediately scanned after the bout on every occasion of boxing. The cost is to be borne by the venue. It will not be met from NHS funds.

Hospitals in the area must be forewarned that boxing events are taking place and injured boxers may need immediate medical attention.

I would go further and ban punches to the head. Only blows to the body between the shoulder and waist should be acceptable and in any case, protective padding should be worn to chest level at that. Body protection is worn by Tai Kwando fighters without restricting their movement or ability to compete. There is no reason why boxing can't follow suit

If Boxing is all about discipline, strength and courage, then those attributes do not need bludgeoning an opponent senseless to be demonstrated. The risk of causing injuries leading to death are too high to carry on in this way.

Another death in the ring. Another wholly unnecessary loss of life for the excitement of blood-crazed morons and the profit of promoters who only see the cash value of a young man who is too dazzled by dreams of stardom or riches, or too immature to see the risk he is taking.

It should be stopped altogether. But if it can't be stopped, then it should be made as safe as it possibly can be.

Lives, literally, depend on it.

Is it wrong to say he died doing what he loved?

It works for other deaths in other sports and activities ...

It's not like anybody is dragging them kicking and screaming into the ring to fight.

They know the risks. Boys will be boys.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#89New Post! May 29, 2020 @ 12:47:44
@Jennifer1984 Said

And I still say boxing should be banned.

And you have also said that boxing is "NOT MY THING, BUT HEY...SPORT IS A WIDE CANVAS."

Hmmm...

And if boxing should be banned because participants can suffer serious injury, and in some cases even death, what about other 'dangerous' sports. For example should the luge be banned? How about motorsports? Gymnastics? How about Skiing, Snowboarding and Surfing? Then we have rock/mountain climbing and base jumping/parachuting. Should they be banned as well? I know you like cricket, rugby and gridiron. All of these sports have seen players killed or seriously injured. The latter two have very serious problems with CTE and yet you happily follow these sports apparently unconcerned about the impact on the health of the players.

Maybe you would be prepared to compromise and accept some rule changes instead out outright bans in order to make the above sports safer to play. How about restricting car and motorcycle races to 10 kph. We could replace the cricket ball with a tennis ball. This wouldn't change the nature o the sport at all and it would make the game safer. In rugby and gridiron we could outlaw all tackling. Only allow touch rugby for example. Much safer for the athletes and again, this wouldn't really change the essence of the sport now would it?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#90New Post! May 29, 2020 @ 12:49:37
@mrmhead Said

It's not like anybody is dragging them kicking and screaming into the ring to fight.

They know the risks.

Don't question the nanny state. A select group of people should be able to tell others what sports they can and can't play. They should be able to tell us what sports we can and can't watch.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs