Entertainment

Watching TV on your PC or mobile phone?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Nov 07, 2007 @ 17:45:01
UK.. Get a licence! ( an email i just got from https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=6739218#post6739218)

If you've just chucked away your telly and cancelled your TV licence thinking you can MoneySave by using your PC or Laptop to watch Corrie then think again - it may cost you much more than the licence fee!

Receiving or recording TV programmes as they're being broadcast on any equipment means the fee must be paid.

So what do I need a licence for?

If you have any of these and you use them to watch or record programmes you need a licence:
TV
Set-top box
Video or DVD recorder
Computer
Mobile phones
What don't I need one for?

If you have a set top box and a stereo system or other piece of equipment that can't show TV pictures and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a licence.

How much does a licence cost?

A colour TV licence currently costs ?135.50, a black and white one ?45.50.
There are several ways to pay. If you've realised you do need one then see how on the TVlicensing website.

Are there any discounts?

Certain groups have concessions available to them:
Students:

Many students assume they're covered by their parent's TV licence. Wrong! You're also unlikely to be covered by your Hall of Residence's licence which usually just covers communal areas. If you live in shared accommodation and have a joint agreement then one licence covers everyone. If you've signed a single agreement though then each person with TV receiving equipment will need a licence.

There is one piece of good news though. If at the end of the academic year you have a full three months left on your licence and won't be using it before it expires then you can get a refund on the remainder.
If you're blind:

If you or someone you live with is blind, you'll get 50% off the cost so your licence will cost ?67.75 for a colour TV or ?22.75 for a black and white one.
75 or over:

Over-75s get a free TV licence while if you're over 74 and your licence will run out before you're 75 you're entitled to the Short Term TV Licence covering you until you reach 75.
In Residential Care:

If you watch TV in your own room or flat then you need a licence though if your residential home qualifies for an Accommodation or Residential Care (ARC) Concessionary Licence and you're retired and over 60 or are disabled then you can join the scheme and pay ?7.50 per year. If you have a licence when you move in you can get a refund on any full months remaining.
Second Home owners:

You'll still need a licence for a second home. However, if it's a static caravan and the TV won't be used at the same time as ones in your main residence you won't need one (though you'll need to sign a declaration stating this). If your second home is a touring caravan or vehicle you won't need a separate licence.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 07, 2007 @ 18:32:37
Oh yeah, I knew about this. When I got accepted my place at uni, I got a leaflet about most of that but I don't know if it counts if you download programs, not stream. is that the same?
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#3New Post! Nov 08, 2007 @ 10:59:56
You need a licence if you own a laptop or computer now. Streaming is classed as recording according to my colleague.
ShawaTiff91 On February 04, 2019
Troll

Fitchburg, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Feb 04, 2019 @ 05:38:01
So what does everyone like to do for fun/entertainment?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs