Travel

Time Travel

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#46New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 17:17:27
E: As I remember it Nixon resigned before he was impeached. It was that nice President Clinton who was impeached.

J: I think Nixon was given a Presidential pardon by Gerald Ford which meant he couldn't be tried for any criminal activity after he left office.

J: Perhaps that was a part of the deal for securing his resignation.

E: Near certainly

E: If, God forbid, the current POTUS were to resign, I bet that nice VPOUS Pence will give him a pardon.
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#47New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 17:51:29
@Jennifer1984 Said

I think Nixon was given a Presidential pardon by Gerald Ford which meant he couldn't be tried for any criminal activity after he left office.

@Erimitus Said

E: As I remember it Nixon resigned before he was impeached. It was that nice President Clinton who was impeached.

J: I think Nixon was given a Presidential pardon by Gerald Ford which meant he couldn't be tried for any criminal activity after he left office.

J: Perhaps that was a part of the deal for securing his resignation.

E: Near certainly

E: If, God forbid, the current POTUS were to resign, I bet that nice VPOUS Pence will give him a pardon.

Yes.

> Nixon resigned, to avoid impeachment by our H.R. and (ultimately) removal by our Senate.

> Ford pardoned Nixon, thus he could not be tried for any related crimes.

> I went to a speech by Ford, a few years later. Ford explained his rational for the pardon... essentially stating that prolonging the investigation of Nixon & any subsequent trials of Nixon would have been more detrimental to the USA than valuable, and that it was time for the USA to begin to heal from the scandal.... etc.

> I always kind of felt like Ford's explanation was convenient BS, as I feel like more good would have been done for the USA and our political system to have a corrupt president go down and go down hard.

(Admittedly not a very forgiving nor "christian" like attitude on my part.)

> Clinton got impeached by our H.R. for lying about having consensual relations with an adult female in the Oval office. Our Senate chose to not remove Clinton from office. There was, apparently, no crime committed thus no criminal investigation of that particular set of events would ever have occurred.

(Note: A Federal Judge (right or wrong) determined that Clinton's lie was not material to either an ongoing criminal investigation nor a judicial proceeding, therefore while being a lie was not actually perjury.)
Stalker

#48New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 17:54:34
And back to time travel....

For a short visit (maybe a few years) the 1920's through 1930's was a pretty interesting time for international travel and Indiana Jones like exploration.

#49New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 20:13:16
I might consider going back to yesterday with today's winning lottery number
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#50New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 20:37:07
@chaski Said

The only thing you are allowed to do to impact history is to spill food or drink on someone's lap... or maybe vomit on their shoes...

Then you have to stand back and let the butterfly effect kick in.

Oh. Then I’ll probably go back to one of the years I could have done something I really wanted to do that I sabotaged.
Stalker

#51New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 20:53:07
@Cpat92 Said

Oh. Then I’ll probably go back to one of the years I could have done something I really wanted to do that I sabotaged.

Cool...

...but don't trust my post.

I think you can make your own rules in this thread.... so get back there into the past and do... whatever...
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#52New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 21:42:26
Rather than change the past, I’d go back in time in order to cheat in the lottery and use that money to change the future.
Chyna On December 21, 2018

Thomasville, Georgia
#53New Post! Dec 18, 2018 @ 22:07:52
I never thought of that, to go back and cheat the lottery and use the money for future endeavors..great idea!!!
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#54New Post! Dec 21, 2018 @ 19:39:04
I would like to go back to when the wagon trains were coming west.Only I would want my train to have already made it and my cabin to be built. I could not imagine traveling 2000 at 8 miles a day. Id be stir crazy and violent before the first 150 miles.

#55New Post! Dec 21, 2018 @ 23:38:36
@white_swan53 Said

I would like to go back to when the wagon trains were coming west.Only I would want my train to have already made it and my cabin to be built. I could not imagine traveling 2000 at 8 miles a day. Id be stir crazy and violent before the first 150 miles.

Unless you get a window seat
Sirfurryanimal On October 11, 2020

Cardiff, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Dec 25, 2018 @ 08:10:23
got to be the Roman period. they were very advanced for their time.
LINDAWILKINSON On December 30, 2018

Toledo, Ohio
#57New Post! Dec 26, 2018 @ 23:41:54
I lived through the 1960s, and, yes, they were "cool" and exciting in the sense that there were a lot of new things happening in music, technology, science and society in general. As a teenager and young adult of that era, however, I found a lot of those changes troubling, too. It's the same in any era, there is the good and the bad. There seemed to be a downturn in morality, and women were experiencing a backlash of anger in the face of their demands for new freedoms and equality in the workplace and home. I know a lot must have been accomplished for the greater good, but if you look at today's general realization that we have lost our way spiritually or morally, that we have become too materialistic and too detached from each other, you realize that a lot of the new technology and attitudes took us in the wrong direction. The 1950s were safe and happy for many like me, but of course underneath the surface was a hidden restlessness and dissatisfaction in society that was bound to break though at some point; hence, the turbulent 1960s.

History shows that we always ride a rollercoaster of ups and downs in society. We go from suffocating righteous moral bonds to becoming too promiscuous in our behaviors and attitudes. Now we're in the "we've gone too far" phase when people see that there is just too much oppression, greed and general hatred all over the world. Even though it's been going on for centuries, maybe it's just becoming more intolerable because of overpopulation and the fact that the media show us how pervasive it is all over the planet. I'm not trying to say that we are repeating exactly the same mistakes or will only resurrect the same old solutions. We tend to keep hold of a little bit of the good kind of progress we make in any era then slide backwards somewhat, and go forward again at some point. I think we are entering a phase where societies all over the world are starting to be more vocal, demanding freedom and respect and kinder, more compassionate governing for all humans, a raising of consciousness worldwide. I hope it leads to enormous positive changes that will allow everyone to appreciate the era they're born into.

#58New Post! Dec 27, 2018 @ 00:55:34
@LINDAWILKINSON Said

I lived through the 1960s, and, yes, they were "cool" and exciting in the sense that there were a lot of new things happening in music, technology, science and society in general. As a teenager and young adult of that era, however, I found a lot of those changes troubling, too. It's the same in any era, there is the good and the bad. There seemed to be a downturn in morality, and women were experiencing a backlash of anger in the face of their demands for new freedoms and equality in the workplace and home. I know a lot must have been accomplished for the greater good, but if you look at today's general realization that we have lost our way spiritually or morally, that we have become too materialistic and too detached from each other, you realize that a lot of the new technology and attitudes took us in the wrong direction. The 1950s were safe and happy for many like me, but of course underneath the surface was a hidden restlessness and dissatisfaction in society that was bound to break though at some point; hence, the turbulent 1960s.

History shows that we always ride a rollercoaster of ups and downs in society. We go from suffocating righteous moral bonds to becoming too promiscuous in our behaviors and attitudes. Now we're in the "we've gone too far" phase when people see that there is just too much oppression, greed and general hatred all over the world. Even though it's been going on for centuries, maybe it's just becoming more intolerable because of overpopulation and the fact that the media show us how pervasive it is all over the planet. I'm not trying to say that we are repeating exactly the same mistakes or will only resurrect the same old solutions. We tend to keep hold of a little bit of the good kind of progress we make in any era then slide backwards somewhat, and go forward again at some point. I think we are entering a phase where societies all over the world are starting to be more vocal, demanding freedom and respect and kinder, more compassionate governing for all humans, a raising of consciousness worldwide. I hope it leads to enormous positive changes that will allow everyone to appreciate the era they're born into.

And the pendulum swings
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#59New Post! Dec 28, 2018 @ 13:40:25
No desire to go back in time. I don't want to change anything and don't need to experience anything from the past other than what's in the funny papers and what I can read from books.
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#60New Post! Dec 28, 2018 @ 13:49:56
Considering things generally get better over time, I would assume any time before the present would be much less enjoyable.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs