Forums:
Art & Literature

Stephen King & Misery

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 15, 2018 @ 21:13:32
So while doing a bit of light reading about the background behind Stephen King's novel Misery i found out that the book was actually about Stephen King's addiction to coke?

Was this widely known or am I just stumbling across new news?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Dec 15, 2018 @ 22:19:57
Though I'm an avid reader of his works, I never had the urge to dig into his private life. I pay attention when things pop up in the media, and sometimes browse the site to make sure I didn't miss any new releases...(and I digress)

I had heard he's had drug addiction problems, And something like that does sound vaguely familiar. I had a friend who was a bigger fan than I, and we talked about SK stuff....

But widely known? I don't think so.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 16, 2018 @ 01:00:20
Steven King has been very successful in the genre of popular horror. I'm not knocking his stories although my attempts to plough through some of his writings have left me wondering how such excellent movies as Carrie, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile could have been inspired from his written original material.

Perhaps though, it is a bit irritating that a man.... no matter how successful.... with such obvious flaws in his own character and often in his writing style, should be so critical of others

Stephen King Denounces Stephanie Meyer And Other Writers

The article says that he is impressed by JK Rowling, but I remember reading.... when she was at the height of her Harry Potter popularity.... that (his words) "J K Rowling never saw an adjective she didn't like" in a somewhat lofty and condescending manner.

Rather unnecessary, wasn't it...?

He does seem to have quite a sizeable ego and if selling a lot of books was justification for such things, then that would be fine. Perhaps he feels that his wealth and fame insulate him from the need to show any humility or consideration to his fellow scribes.

Well.... we'll all have our own take on that.

As I said, I think the movies made from his books outshine the books themselves. But that's just my opinion.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 16, 2018 @ 01:39:01
@Jennifer1984 Said

Steven King has been very successful in the genre of popular horror. I'm not knocking his stories although my attempts to plough through some of his writings have left me wondering how such excellent movies as Carrie, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile could have been inspired from his written original material.

Perhaps though, it is a bit irritating that a man.... no matter how successful.... with such obvious flaws in his own character and often in his writing style, should be so critical of others

The article says that he is impressed by JK Rowling, but I remember reading.... when she was at the height of her Harry Potter popularity.... that (his words) "J K Rowling never saw an adjective she didn't like" in a somewhat lofty and condescending manner.

He does seem to have quite a sizeable ego and if selling a lot of books was justification for such things, then that would be fine. Perhaps he feels that his wealth and fame insulate him from the need to show any humility or consideration to his fellow scribes.

As I said, I think the movies made from his books outshine the books themselves. But that's just my opinion.

NO they didn't, a couple did. Misery, Delores Claiborne, The Shining and Rose Red where some of my favorite adaptations followed by pet cemetery and IT but i wasn't a massive Stephen
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Dec 16, 2018 @ 02:49:27
@Jennifer1984 Said

Like I said, I don't' delve on the writer too much, I just enjoy his work.
.. It's not like he's leading a country or anything.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs