AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#16New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:30:43
@JaneDevin Said

Just a note about the temperature of Hell.

In Dante's The Comedy, the temperature of Hell varies from very hot to below freezing.

In the Odyssey, Ulysses goes to see Hercules in Hell, but the wandering Greek doesn't mention a temperature. That must have been before the beginning of global warming.

Dr Faustus went to Hell, but he has not come back to speak of the temperature.

I guess you can discard those others. I mean can it be anything other than the symbolic temperature where thought is destroyed, which could well bring us down to absolute zero?
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#17New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 16:57:25
@JaneDevin Said

I agree with Mr Shoes. I don't see how Fahrenheit 451 has anything to do with technology. If anything it's a Lacedaemonian nightmare, which sends the world back more than 2000 years.

The book is a kind of allegory about the time in which it was written. Since World War Two, headlines in newspapers had continually warned the public about Russian spies, some real and some imaginary. The federal government had begun requiring loyalty oaths. Many people were damaged in the hysteria.

August 3, 1948 ? Whitaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of spying for Soviet Union

1949 ? Lyndon Johnson slanders Leland Olds as a Communist.

August 29, 1949 ? first Russian atomic test

October 1949 Communist Party takes control of China,

1949 - Lyndon Johnson calls Leland Olds a communist

January1950 ? Alger Hiss convicted of perjury in connection with spying

January 1950 ? Klaus Fuchs confesses spying for Russians

February 1950 ? Joe McCarthy begins his communist witch hunt

June 1950 ? Korean War begins

Summer of 1950 ? Richard Nixon slanders Hellen Gahagan Douglas as a communist

February 1951 ? Ray Bradbury publishes a version Fahrenheit 451

March 6, 1951 ? Rosenberg espionage trial begins. Confessed spies Harry Gold and David Greenglass testify

1952 ? Elia Kazan testifies about Communist influence in Hollywood.

June 19, 1953 ? Julius Rosenberg executed for espionage

1953 ? Bradbury publishes later version of Fahrenheit 451

1954 ? Bradbury publishes serialized version published in Playboy

1954 - Battle of Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam

One might wonder if people at the time thought that the world was burning down, so why not a book about book burning.

Your list of spys should include Elizabeth Bentley. She might have been the one who started the hysteria.
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#18New Post! Dec 18, 2010 @ 12:12:46
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I guess you can discard those others. I mean can it be anything other than the symbolic temperature where thought is destroyed, which could well bring us down to absolute zero?

That's a clever idea. Maybe that's why in Dante's Comedy, Satan is frozen in ice. I didn't think about that just like I didn't understand the quote about the sword being a metaphor for truth.
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#19New Post! Dec 18, 2010 @ 12:14:15
@NikiNiki Said

Your list of spys should include Elizabeth Bentley. She might have been the one who started the hysteria.

Oh man! I forgot Lizzy, silly me.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#20New Post! Dec 18, 2010 @ 14:09:19
@JaneDevin Said

That's a clever idea. Maybe that's why in Dante's Comedy, Satan is frozen in ice.

I dunno, maybe the cure is worse than the malady, y'know.....no thought.
LYS On November 30, 2018

remer, Minnesota
#21New Post! Nov 29, 2018 @ 15:25:14
I need a hook based on this and need help, please and thank you?!!

What makes Clarisse so special—so different from most people in her society? What qualities does Montag have that make him receptive to her influence?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Nov 30, 2018 @ 10:33:55
Blimey.... an 8 year old thread being bumped.

Montag isn't only affected by Clarisse, who he sees as fascinating more than subversive. She has a level of freedom he doesn't possess and it comes solely from her ability to think for herself. He realises that the literature she refers to is what has liberated her spirit.

It is then that, during a raid, Montag witnesses a woman self-immolate rather than live without her books. He steals one before it can be burned because he is now driven to know what it is that creates such a feeling of freedom that somebody would rather burn themself to death horribly than live without it.

Clarisse is an important character in Montag's conversion but she isn't the only factor. She would have been his friend had things carried on as they were, but the suicide of the old woman took things to a new level..... beyond the tipping point.

Quite simply, those two events combined did something that the burning of books was meant to eradicate. It made him want that freedom, even if it meant his eventual discovery and possible destruction.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs