Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...13 14 15
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#211New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 16:04:36
@Ghyda Said

Three baseball umpires discussed how to call strikes.

The young one said, "I call 'um as I see 'um."

The older on said, "I call 'um as they are."

The oldest one said, "They are what I call them."

@mrmhead Said

HOWEVER, In my Black Belt days (Lean / Six Sigma, not Martial Arts) we had to establish Operational Definitions within the project for various terms to eliminate the potential of misunderstanding.

True even in the baseball story... a "strike" has a very specific meaning (as does "foul", "hit", "run", "error", etc...) the umpire can have his opinion, but only within the scope of the definition of the terms.

Small example: Watch a game of baseball with a hard core baseball fan. When someone gets a "run" say something like "how many points did that guy just get?"
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#212New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 16:08:05
@chaski Said

Small example: Watch a game of baseball with a hard core baseball fan. When someone gets a "run" say something like "how many points did that guy just get?"

NE, Ohio
#213New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 16:10:15
@chaski Said

True even in the baseball story... a "strike" has a very specific meaning (as does "foul", "hit", "run", "error", etc...) the umpire can have his opinion, but only within the scope of the definition of the terms.

I don't watch basketball much, but occasionally they mention a Field Goal, and I'm like ..."I didn't see anyone kick the ball"

NE, Ohio
#214New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 16:13:19
@chaski Said

And WTF is a "Balk" ? ... best I can figure out is the pitcher gave someone a mean look that the umpire didn't like.

Buncha pansy snowflakes.
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#215New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 20:57:00
@chaski Said

I think that is correct, but I wouldn't say so with vigah during a seventh inning stretch.

I know of an example in which mathematicians don't agree on a definition.

Now that I think about it, make that two.

I have seen two different definitions for trapezoid. In one, they have at least one set of parallel sides. In the other, they have only one set of parallel sides. I think here in California, the text books accept the second definition.

And while I'm thinking about it ...

In Britain, they say trapezia instead of trapezoid. Also, if I remember right, in Euclid, trapezia means any quadrilateral with no parallel sides.

I've seen two definitions of continuous function., but I don't believe I can state either one from memory.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#216New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 21:27:19
@Ghyda Said

I think that is correct, but I wouldn't say so with vigah during a seventh inning stretch.

I have seen two different definitions for trapezoid. In one, they have at least one set of parallel sides. In the other, they have only one set of parallel sides. I think here in California, the text books accept the second definition.

In Britain, they say trapezia instead of trapezoid. Also, if I remember right, in Euclid, trapezia means any quadrilateral with no parallel sides.

I've seen two definitions of continuous function., but I don't believe I can state either one from memory.

Some people say “mass”, some say “matter”, some say “master”...🤪

NE, Ohio
#217New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 22:48:07
@Ghyda Said

Wow! That stuff was so long ago, (and I don't use it) so I don't remember what we were taught. But I do remember there was stuff like that

Anaheim, California
#218New Post! Oct 12, 2018 @ 01:57:27
@chaski Said

Some people say “mass”, some say “matter”, some say “master”...🤪

I had intended to say something about master or maybe massah, but I won't because it might be considered a microaggression.

Anaheim, California
#219New Post! Oct 12, 2018 @ 02:28:57
@mrmhead Said

Wow! That stuff was so long ago, (and I don't use it) so I don't remember what we were taught. But I do remember there was stuff like that

I learned about the two ways to define trapezoid at church. For a while we had a college professor who helped at the youth group. He was our resident atheist. I know that seems odd, but his daughter attended our group.

I don't remember how the subject of trapezoids entered the conversation. It must have been when they asked us to draw a picture of God. We drew circles, lightning bolts, one person wrote "the word," and another drew a bottle of what I assumed was Jack Daniels (God is a spirit). At least I was not the only smart aleck. I drew a trapezoid. (edit) Maybe I drew a Mayan pyramid because I had learned that they (or maybe it was the Aztecs) believed that the universe is shaped like a pyramid. Anyway, the sides of the Mayan (Aztec?) pyramids are trapezoids.

The professor told me about how he disagreed with the California textbook definition of trapezoid because he wanted parallelograms to be trapezoids. It had something to do with a theorem in calculus for finding the area under a curve. I don't remember much past that because at the time, I knew nothing about calculus.

I did some research, trying to find definitions of trapezoid. I learned about the British and Euclid's use of the word, trapezium. Turns out that Euclid did not define trapezoid. I don't know who did. It must be something from nineteenth century bridge building, which used to be the a common place to find trapezoids.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#220New Post! Oct 12, 2018 @ 03:38:05
@Ghyda Said

I had intended to say something about master or maybe massah, but I won't because it might be considered a microaggression.

That is hilarious... I was going to write "massah", but didn't want to come of like a Zionist racist....or is it a racist Zionist....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...13 14 15

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs