what is the biggest rubbish in religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#181New Post! Jan 30, 2018 @ 19:40:06
@Komentenmelodie Said

Good but they really belong in the trash!!

I do not know. I have never read them. They might be good science fiction.

I prefer to base my beliefs on empirical evidence like, for example, Christianity, no wait. That is not a very good example.

Anyway, scientists are the new high priests who tell us what to believe. The problem is they keep changing what is true. Scientific beliefs are always tentative and myopic. What is a believer to do??? Splan me Dat...
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#182New Post! Jan 31, 2018 @ 00:19:27
Scientologist are not scientists, as far as I am aware they do nothing that is based on science furthermore even if they were I do not think you can "mix" science & religion!! politics do not mix well either
JArnold328689 On July 05, 2020

Ben Wheeler, Texas
#183New Post! Apr 20, 2018 @ 12:00:26
I Agree That Scientology Is Rubbish But so Is Today's Typical Christian Bible
If I Could Read, Write And Understand Hebrew And Greek I Would Try To get Access To Original
Versions The Ones Before Nero
Another Thing In Genesis
when it talks about the creation that was done in 7 days
I See a lot of Straight laced believers scoff at Geologists
All Saying That There Is No Way the earth is older than 4000 years old
But When The World was created Did Our Understanding of time exist yet?
Furthermore Since GOD Is Eternal Does GOD's Time Frame match Human Time Frame
How Do We Know That Those 7 days talked about in the bible were in human time?

#184New Post! Apr 20, 2018 @ 18:26:56
JR: I Agree That Scientology Is Rubbish But so Is Today's Typical Christian Bible
If I Could Read, Write And Understand Hebrew And Greek I Would Try To get Access To Original

E: I have the original Gospels in the attic somewhere. They are kind of beat up having been written on papyrus and all.

E: Every translation is an interpretation of the translator. And then (of course) there are translations of translations. It is an entropy. Kind of like copying a photo copy and then coping the copy. Each successive copy is less clear until eventually you end up with a copy the does not resemble the original an any way.

E: Find an interpretation you like and interpret the interpretation for yourself.

E: I kind of like the Bible. Ecclesiastics is my favorite book. I cannot (however) be a Christian because I just do not like to play bingo.

JArnold328689 On July 05, 2020

Ben Wheeler, Texas
#185New Post! Apr 20, 2018 @ 18:36:16
Erimitus
What Is Your Opinion On What i Said About The way we as humans Try to Put GODs Time into The Same Box As Human Time?

#186New Post! Apr 20, 2018 @ 19:27:33
@JArnold328689 Said

Erimitus
What Is Your Opinion On What i Said About The way we as humans Try to Put GODs Time into The Same Box As Human Time?

I view God as independent of time (always was, is now, always will be)
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#187New Post! Apr 22, 2018 @ 03:15:44
How can people believe in an old man sitting on a throne. As a He, who sits and really, does nothing but what people tell him to do in their prayers?

"Please God, be with Us (not with them even though they might believe in you, too) and Help us now." Cause, like, God is just sitting there waiting to be commanded. :eyeroll:
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#188New Post! Apr 22, 2018 @ 05:12:35
@Sweet_Merry Said

How can people believe in an old man sitting on a throne. As a He, who sits and really, does nothing but what people tell him to do in their prayers?

"Please God, be with Us (not with them even though they might believe in you, too) and Help us now." Cause, like, God is just sitting there waiting to be commanded. :eyeroll:

The confusion all arises from the fallacy that humans were made in god's image.

WRONG!

Sea Otter Babies were made in God's image...

#189New Post! Apr 22, 2018 @ 06:23:35

SM: How can people believe in an old man sitting on a throne?

E: There are people that honestly believe that. As to how or why we would have to ask them. The question might be how or why anyone believes anything.

E: I, for example, honestly believe that the earth is a sphere that goes around the sun. I cannot say that I have empirical evidence for that belief yet nonetheless I believe it. Someone, who I accept as an authority, taught that to me.

E: It may be that a God is a reflection of the society that created HIM in its own image. An andocentric society with a King might have an old man on a thrown as its God.

E: Kings in general and some presidents like to surround themselves with sycophants who pledge their loyalty and say things like, “Gosh you’re wonderful”.
Supreme rulers tend to be like that.

SM: As a He, who sits and really, does nothing but what people tell him to do in their prayers?

E: Primitive pagan religions had a Mother earth and a Father in heaven as the two aspects of God. The mother father polarity was not about gender. The father was penetrating (the giver) and the mother was receptive (the receiver). Together they made the ONE.

E: The single male god comes from the andocentric Abrahamic religions.

E: “Our Father who art in heaven halo be thy name.” Halo (Helios) be thy name. Helios (the sun) was the father in heaven. The pagans were sun worshipers and the worshiped the Sun of God. The Holy (Helios) Bible (book), the book of the sun predates Abraham by a few millennia. Later personifications changed the Sun of God into the Son of God.

E: The sun of god is born on the 25th day of what is now called December. The sun had been steadily moving north since the equinox and on the 21st day of December it stops (solstice) and on the 25th day it starts it is reborn and starts moving south again.

E: On December 25th the three stars on the belt of Orion (also known as the three kings) line up with Sirius ( the star of wonder) and point to the place in the east where the sun (son) rises (is born).

E: I cannot document this but it is what I believe and when I can document I will site my source. Until then it makes as much sense as an old man on a throne. …Maybe more.
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#190New Post! Apr 22, 2018 @ 17:45:38
I would say that we (humans) are unable to live & tolerate each other!
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#191New Post! Sep 15, 2018 @ 14:18:16
Billy Graham once admitted that he doesn’t really know why God permits suffering in the world. Mr. Graham probably knows more than he lets on. Considering that he is dead—-since April.

Say hello to author of your salvation mr graham
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#192New Post! Sep 16, 2018 @ 01:08:30
@gakINGKONG Said

Billy Graham once admitted that he doesn’t really know why God permits suffering in the world. Mr. Graham probably knows more than he lets on. Considering that he is dead—-since April.

Say hello to author of your salvation mr graham

Free will, they say.

I choose to believe god is not as hands on as people think. Or chose to do it through what we know as science anyways.

This way, we, too, can all take the blame for the s*** we create. As we should. Hooray responsibility!

, Florida
#193New Post! Sep 16, 2018 @ 02:39:12
@Leon Said

Free will, they say.

I choose to believe god is not as hands on as people think. Or chose to do it through what we know as science anyways.

This way, we, too, can all take the blame for the s*** we create. As we should. Hooray responsibility!

I saw this film about two weeks ago.

It has some timely bits to it (environmentalism, loss, faith vs science)

Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#194New Post! Sep 23, 2018 @ 14:58:49
@gakINGKONG Said

I saw this film about two weeks ago.

It has some timely bits to it (environmentalism, loss, faith vs science)

Saw this per your recommendation. Reminded me a lot of Taxi Driver, another movie made by the same writer.

I’m surprised you liked it to be honest, the way it questioned a lot of the current attitude towards science by the American church. Maybe it was way such torment unfortunately manifested in the main character, and that of the suicidal husband, too, for that matter. Obviously, though, they didn’t know how to handle the issue.

The movie was a bit of a bore though (I had to delay resuming the movie twice due to falling asleep to it), so I really didn’t care. I could relate more to Taxi Driver than this one, probably because I was at that age and I don’t struggle with religion.

, Florida
#195New Post! Sep 23, 2018 @ 18:27:20
@Leon Said

Saw this per your recommendation. Reminded me a lot of Taxi Driver, another movie made by the same writer.

I’m surprised you liked it to be honest, the way it questioned a lot of the current attitude towards science by the American church. Maybe it was way such torment unfortunately manifested in the main character, and that of the suicidal husband, too, for that matter. Obviously, though, they didn’t know how to handle the issue.

The movie was a bit of a bore though (I had to delay resuming the movie twice due to falling asleep to it), so I really didn’t care. I could relate more to Taxi Driver than this one, probably because I was at that age and I don’t struggle with religion.

Oh!

This is a surprising turn of events. I never much think what I say does anything with others.

Been bit of a movie guy for a while now. Agreed the movie was . . . quiet.

If I had to take myself out it would never be with chemical drain cleaner. Best thing for that guy was to fall in love.

Back to the original OP--(trying to tie in). If the Lutherans had an edge over Catholics ( I think they do) the vow of celibacy ought to be more narrowly practiced. When it's a blanket requirement and priests aren't allowed to take a wife, that's when problems happen.

We are sexual creatures and I don't think all are evenly tempered enough to take on the mantle of celibacy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs