Technology & Internet

Technology Paranoia

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#46New Post! Mar 28, 2018 @ 16:35:44
Residents can't pay their water bill or their parking tickets. Police and other employees are having to write out their reports by hand. And court proceedings for people who are not in police custody are canceled until computer systems are functioning properly again.

More than six days after a ransomware attack shut down the city of Atlanta's online systems, officials here are still struggling to keep the government running without many of their digital processes and services.

Atlanta Ransomware

And just recently, another city had its 911 system hacked and they shut it down. I don't know if it was ransomware or something else.

NE, Ohio
#47New Post! May 08, 2018 @ 00:14:33
Einstein is attributed to have said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

He never worked in Technology.

Doing the same thing over and over, and getting different results is Technology.

To put it simply:

Something broke over the weekend, in fact two somethings - in the same way.
But these were the only two somethings out of about 15 other somethings that were just fine.

Well I tried to fix Thing One - going back and forth, doing, undoing, trying to look for differences. When I finally zeroed in on what was changing, I tried the same fix again ... And It Fixed!?!?! WTF I have no explanation on why it worked the 5th time but not the first .....

Tomorrow is Thing Two's turn.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#48New Post! May 08, 2018 @ 01:05:59
@mrmhead Said

Einstein is attributed to have said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Doing the same thing over and over, and getting different results is Technology.

To put it simply:

But these were the only two somethings out of about 15 other somethings that were just fine.

Well I tried to fix Thing One - going back and forth, doing, undoing, trying to look for differences. When I finally zeroed in on what was changing, I tried the same fix again ... And It Fixed!?!?! WTF I have no explanation on why it worked the 5th time but not the first .....

Try not to act surprised when something you fixed works.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#49New Post! May 08, 2018 @ 01:20:55
@mrmhead Said

To put it simply:

I believe that Al was referring to hypotheses where the variables are fixed.

Story time:

There was a problem. I tried several solutions and one of them worked. I gave the idea to my supervisor and he submitted it to the office. A short time later this engineer kid comes down to the floor acting like it was his idea. Unfortunately he misunderstood and wanted to do it in a way that I had tried and that did not work. So informed him. He got all nasty and said I should do what I was told. So I did. And it did not work. And ...and then he suddenly realized it was not his idea after all. And following the principle... "if at first you don't succeed, give up." the office decided to outsource job, and they did, and the people they hired did what I had suggested, and it cost ten times as much and there were no Christmas bonuses that year because they did not have the money. And being stupid seems to be a requisite for a job in upper management.

NE, Ohio
#50New Post! May 08, 2018 @ 01:27:14
@Erimitus Said

I believe that Al was referring to hypotheses where the variables are fixed.

Story time:

There was a problem. I tried several solutions and one of them worked. I gave the idea to my supervisor and he submitted it to the office. A short time later this engineer kid comes down to the floor acting like it was his idea. Unfortunately he misunderstood and wanted to do it in a way that I had tried and that did not work. So informed him. He got all nasty and said I should do what I was told. So I did. And it did not work. And ...and then he suddenly realized it was not his idea after all. And following the principle... "if at first you don't succeed, give up." the office decided to outsource job, and they did, and the people they hired did what I had suggested, and it cost ten times as much and there were no Christmas bonuses that year because they did not have the money. And being stupid seems to be a requisite for a job in upper management.

Yes, there is more than once where we have brought in con$ultant$ to tell mgmt what us peons have been telling them for years.

NE, Ohio
#51New Post! May 10, 2018 @ 01:20:13
The way they control you:

So yeah, Battlebots new season starts next week on SCI. And I have a DVR setting to record all new.

BUT
They repackaged the old season into two-hour segments and call it "New" - so I'm DVRing last season episodes two at a time.

Oh well, they're still fun!!

NE, Ohio
#52New Post! Jun 21, 2018 @ 17:53:07
"One of the fundamental skills for all humans in an AI world is accountability - just because the algorithm says it's the answer, it doesn't mean it actually is."

You're Fired!

NE, Ohio
#53New Post! Jun 22, 2018 @ 00:31:06
Meanwhile, somewhere in North Carolina

" Things returned to normal this week for American Airlines as it said in a statement on Wednesday that it had fixed a computer glitch that led to the cancellation of over 2,000 flights from one of its regional carriers.

NE, Ohio
#54New Post! Jun 28, 2018 @ 20:03:34
There have been so many Data Breaches , is there anything left to hide?

While the database apparently does not include credit-card numbers or Social Security numbers, it does include phone numbers, email and postal addresses as well as more than 400 personal characteristics, such as whether a person is a smoker, if they own a dog or cat, their religion and a multitude of personal interests. Even though no financial information was included, the breadth of personal data could make it possible to profile individuals or help scammers steal identities.

NE, Ohio
#55New Post! Jul 17, 2018 @ 02:17:01
If you're happy and you know it, so do They

... a crop of start-ups are offering "emotion detection" for security purposes.

UK firm WeSee, for example, claims its AI tech can actually spot suspicious behaviour by reading facial cues imperceptible to the untrained eye.

Emotions, such as doubt and anger, might be hidden under the surface in contrast to the language a person is using.

WeSee says it has been working with a "high profile" organisation in law enforcement to analyse people who are being interviewed.

NE, Ohio
#56New Post! Aug 06, 2018 @ 16:34:32
One Glitch and you could be on the streets.

Wells Fargo said the computer error affected "certain accounts" that were undergoing the foreclosure process between April 2010 and October 2015, when the issue was corrected.

About 625 customers were incorrectly denied a loan modification or were not offered one even though they were qualified, according to the filing. In about 400 cases, the customers were ultimately foreclosed upon.

Homeowners could have just put their house payments on their unbeknownst to them "Wells Fargo Credit Cards"!! - if only they had known.

NE, Ohio
#57New Post! Aug 16, 2018 @ 23:11:19

"Your real mommy is Alexa"

Forget peer pressure, future generations are more likely to be influenced by robots

Robot Influence
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#58New Post! Aug 16, 2018 @ 23:58:14
@mrmhead Said

"Your real mommy is Alexa"

Forget peer pressure, future generations are more likely to be influenced by robots

Robot Influence

they train these robots to little kids, how to potty train, even tie their shoes, get dress, especially clean up their room, make their beds and take the trash out.

the mothers might keep them.

NE, Ohio
#59New Post! Aug 22, 2018 @ 12:44:42
Not so much of Paranoia, but certainly funny:

School Pictures
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#60New Post! Aug 22, 2018 @ 13:32:20
@mrmhead Said

Not so much of Paranoia, but certainly funny:

School Pictures

look in another way, when a student or some might feel that are invisible to the school or schoolmates. this is a good example how they feel. this is perfect example and healthy way to express it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs