AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#61New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:32:50
@a777pilot Said

Indictment

A written accusation charging that an individual named therein has committed an act or omitted to do something that is punishable by law.

An indictment is found and presented by a Grand Jury legally convened and sworn. It originates with a prosecutor and is issued by the grand jury against an individual who is charged with a crime. Before such individual may be convicted, the charge must be proved at trial Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.

The purpose of an indictment is to inform an accused individual of the charge against him or her so that the person will be able to prepare a defense.

Oh... good.. you looked it up and now know that you were wrong.

Focus... on the facts.

PS
Why do you hate America and our legal system?
Why do you hate our military and love draft dodgers?
Why wo you love Russia but hate the USA?
Why do you support a lying draft dodging creep?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#62New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:39:13
@chaski Said

PS

Oh, please don't bring that up, otherwise I may start thinking I am a draft dodger because I was (am) of age, but didn't serve (I actually "volunteered" for ROTC, but we came to a mutual agreement to part ways )
a777pilot On July 14, 2022

, Texas
#63New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:43:55
@mrmhead Said

So by that, you are saying that Kavanaugh doesn't think a president should be Impeached (aka indicted)

.. dismissing the constitution.

... Otherwise, they are different.

No, not at all. What I am saying is that if the President commits a criminal act the proper venue to address it is an impeachment hearing in the House of Representatives.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#64New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:44:58
@mrmhead Said

Oh, please don't bring that up, otherwise I may start thinking I am a draft dodger because I was (am) of age, but didn't serve (I actually "volunteered" for ROTC, but we came to a mutual agreement to part ways )

Its the other guy who thinks that anyone who didn't serve is a draft dodger, regardless of whether or not the draft was applicable to the person.

The only person I'm calling a draft dodger is Cadet Bones Spurs... though I have willingly acknowledge Bill Clinton to be a "draft dodger" also...

...of course there might be a difference between actually getting a deferment because one is in school vs getting a deferment because one is a lying coward who fakes a physical disability.
a777pilot On July 14, 2022

, Texas
#65New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:45:57
@chaski Said

Oh... good.. you looked it up and now know that you were wrong.

Focus... on the facts.

PS

I know that I am correct.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#66New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:53:04
@a777pilot Said

No, not at all. What I am saying is that if the President commits a criminal act the proper venue to address it is an impeachment hearing in the House of Representatives.

Incorrect.

"if the President commits a criminal act" there are two (2) "proper venues" to address it.

One starts with a criminal investigation, potentially moves to an indictment, then potentially moves to a criminal trial, then potentially moving to a judgement of innocent or guilty, then moving to a sentencing.... its about being found guilty or innocent... crime and punishment... being set free or being sent to prison... etc.

The second is the process by which a president/vice president might be removed from office, which starts with a congressional investigation (not actually a criminal investigation), potentially moves to and "impeachments....etc....its about being removed from office or not being removed from office.

Two different things.

You really need to get your facts straight if you are going to either understand and/or discuss these things.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#67New Post! Jul 11, 2018 @ 23:53:39
@a777pilot Said

I know that I am correct.

You are in denial... in the words of Cadet Bone Spurs: "SAD".

Again... please do yourself a favor and don't go to law school.... things like the law and facts aren't your strong point.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#68New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 00:00:41
PS
Contrary to the belief of 21st Century Republicans and their leader Cadet Bones Spurs, claiming to be right does not make one right... especially when facts (and word definitions) demonstrate that one is wrong.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#69New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 00:20:37
Oooooooooh Wait!

I get it...

A “jump ball” starts a basketball game, and a “kickoff” starts a football game.... so “jump balls” and “kickoffs” are the same thing.

NE, Ohio
#70New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 00:48:34
An Impeachment (legal process) is an indictment (English definition) and an Indictment (legal process) is an impeachment (English definition).

But an Impeachment (legal process) is not an Indictment (legal process)

NE, Ohio
#71New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 00:54:43
@chaski Said

Oooooooooh Wait!

I get it...

A “jump ball” starts a basketball game, and a “kickoff” starts a football game.... so “jump balls” and “kickoffs” are the same thing.

I think a football game really starts with the flip of the coin - at least in outdoor stadiums.

So a jump ball is the same as a flip of the coin, unless said game is held indoors then the coin flip is nearly an irrelevant ceremony held over from times of lore.

- Wouldn't it be great if basketball were played outdoors on turf!
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#72New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 01:04:16
@mrmhead Said

I think a football game really starts with the flip of the coin - at least in outdoor stadiums.

So a jump ball is the same as a flip of the coin, unless said game is held indoors then the coin flip is nearly an irrelevant ceremony held over from times of lore.

- Wouldn't it be great if basketball were played outdoors on turf!

Oh...

So they are different... like indictments & impeachments.... different....

Hmmmm.....
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#73New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 01:25:14
@gakINGKONG Said

WH Clinton won with that. But he had to forsake his base. He often triangulated the two parties.

In a history course in school, a teacher showed a video of President Clinton talking to some union leaders. One of them had asked him about his support for one of their issues. I don't remember which one. Maybe they wanted to know about his support for "right to work." He told him that he would not get into that "buzz saw." I took that to mean that he considered it a lost cause, and no matter how much they wanted to fight for their side of the issue, he didn't want to waste his time attacking windmills.

His candid response impressed me. I don't know how it affected the union leaders. That part did not get recorded.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#74New Post! Jul 12, 2018 @ 02:24:30
@Ghyda Said

In a history course in school, a teacher showed a video of President Clinton talking to some union leaders. One of them had asked him about his support for one of their issues. I don't remember which one. Maybe they wanted to know about his support for "right to work." He told him that he would not get into that "buzz saw." I took that to mean that he considered it a lost cause, and no matter how much they wanted to fight for their side of the issue, he didn't want to waste his time attacking windmills.

His candid response impressed me. I don't know how it affected the union leaders. That part did not get recorded.

William Jefferson Clinton had the ability to work a crowdLike none other. It was startling to see him do magic on people the way he talked the way he could charm even his opponents.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#75New Post! Jul 16, 2018 @ 12:09:46
@mrmhead Said

I'll admit, I don't follow all this stuff that closely, and some of these details and definitions (interpretations) escape me.

But there is Wiki!!

In 1994, Paula Jones filed a lawsuit accusing Clinton of sexual harassment when he was governor of Arkansas. Clinton attempted to delay a trial until after he left office, but in May 1997 the Supreme Court unanimously ordered the case to proceed and shortly thereafter the pre-trial discovery process commenced.

.. So had the Paula Jones case proceeded along (more legal mumbo-jumbo), would there not have been an indictment?

... and if the case was stopped by SCOTUS, Clinton wouldn't have committed perjury and obstruction of justice.

There may have been...I didn't really explain it well.

There's nothing in the Constitution that says the President can't be indicted. It's not impossible..it's just incredibly unlikely that anyone would be indicted while actually serving in office. The president can technically be indicted, it's just that pragmatically, the process of impeachment is in place to keep an acting president in office so that if whomever is serving is going to be indicted, we remove him or her from office and put in place another person to act as president.

All of that is kind of moot though, honestly. Kavanaugh never said the president couldn't be indicted...what he actually said is that the president can be investigated and indicted unless Congress passes a law saying he or she can't. Which is correct. And he said it in 2009 in reference to his own involvement as personal counsel for Ken Starr during the Clinton investigation, long before anyone ever held any notion that Trump would be the president. He held in the 90s during the Starr debacle that a president should be subject to criminal investigation, but then later while working directly for the Busch administration, he said he came to understand the demands of the presidency and that the office required full attention, even suggesting the Starr investigation distracted Clinton from his focus on bin Laden.

So then, in 09, as a newly appointed judge, he proposed that Congress might pass a law to protect the president from criminal indictment while in office, essentially just tightening the policy that's already loosely in place.

It's no small overlooking of fact that this took place during the Obama administration, by the way.

So if a law by Congress is necessary to fix that perceived problem, logically it follows that it's perfectly Constitutional to investigate and charge a sitting president, as with the Starr investigation, which he admitted was a distraction.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs