The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Food & Drink

i've started drinking again ... i need some drink tips.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 12:28:44
@mrmhead Said

Yes, I've had Buffalo Trace .... I think it has a trace of buffalo in it

I've had Knob Creek too. There's a little more burn with that than some of the others I've mentioned. Small Batch may be smoother. Haven't tried it.
In fact, it was my "go-to" bourbon when they had the "Knob Creek Drought of 2009".

I'm not much of a fan of Scotch.

I actually like Buffalo Trace. Knob Creek is pretty good bourbon as well.

Weller is excellent.

offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:16:42
@Erimitus Said

I was addressing offbeat.

Although I do not have a therapist, I believe everyone should have one. Surprise, surprise, I do not practice what I preach.

Anyway, when making a major decision like suicide or returning to alcohol (which may be the same thing depending on the condition of your liver) it is a good idea to consult a therapist before taking any action.

lol... thanks but no thanks..i definitely don't need a therapist, i'm old enough and have enough self awareness now to be able to make my own decisions.

london, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:18:02
@Eaglebauer Said

Weller is excellent.

the Weller bottles look cool...how did you rate Buffalo Trace against Nob Creek?

london, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:19:48
@Corey Said

try mixing the booze with ice cream. Always worked for me.

Corey

lol... I might try that with lemonade.

london, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:30:24
@cole Said

Obvious choices would be Gin, which has had a massive revival in the UK in the last year. Not the ordinary s*** Gordon's and Tonic which tastes like what drain cleaner smells but the fancy new flavoured gins. The Parma Violet flavoured gin is awesome and I don't really like gin.

Ciders, again like gin they had a huge revival over the past few years and have a really fantastic range of refreshing flavours. I used to be a cider drinker but it f***ed my stomach and I ended up getting really bad heartburn so had to quit.

I'm not much of a drinker myself, i never have alcohol during the week, unless a special occasion as I need to do school runs in the morning so best just avoiding it altogether. I do however like a drink on a Friday and Sat evening and usually have a bottle of Rose wine on a friday. It's a nice compromise, i tend to find white or red too dry and not sweet enough plus red gives me a murderous sore head next day. Rose is a chilled drink, stick a little clear lemonade in it to give it a sweeter taste. Sat i tend to drink Vodka and clear lemonade, lots of ice.

I hate cola as a mixer, i feel it goes flat too quickly so I'm not a fan of bourbons/JD as they tend to go better with cola. I used to be a whiskey drinker but grew out of it as i got older. I do like a whiskey called Monkey Shoulder which goes awesome with Dr Pepper or Ginger Beer.

If you have issues with your stomach, acid reflux, ulcer etc stick to Ales. I had a friend who had an ulcer, they liked a vodka, Dr told him to switch to Guinness or John Smiths as it's better for your digestive system.

after 30 years of not drinking i'm very surprised to find so many new types of booze on the market. which is why I need a heads up from other drinkers.that gin sounds interesting ... I was a big cider drinker and decided to try one last week...but, it was so sweet that my teeth were hurting. I guess i'll try to find a dryer brand.i tried jack daniels straight last week and thought it extremely rough, so coked it down... I wouldn't mind a try of monkey shoulder ( bourbon isn't it? )and the rose sounds good. I've also noticed a far greater range of ales,lagers etc ... I've tried at least 10 lagers and really like staropranam ( a chech lager ) i'm going to stay with lagers and perhaps cider through summer and go for the heavier beers ( guiness etc ) in winter.thanks for the advice.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#21New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:37:26
@offbeat Said

the Weller bottles look cool...how did you rate Buffalo Trace against Nob Creek?

Knob Creek is better than Buffalo Trace in my opinion. Buffalo Trace is a little more sour and Knob Creek is a bit smokier, which I prefer. The Weller 12 year is better than both and (at least here in the states) very reasonably priced!

london, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:40:40
@Eaglebauer Said

Knob Creek is better than Buffalo Trace in my opinion. Buffalo Trace is a little more sour and Knob Creek is a bit smokier, which I prefer. The Weller 12 year is better than both and (at least here in the states) very reasonably priced!

aahh.. in that case i'll stick to Nob Creek ( small batch ). the Weller looks classy and if I ever see it i'll definitely grab a bottle. thanks.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 13:46:28
@offbeat Said

after 30 years of not drinking i'm very surprised to find so many new types of booze on the market. which is why I need a heads up from other drinkers.that gin sounds interesting ... I was a big cider drinker and decided to try one last week...but, it was so sweet that my teeth were hurting. I guess i'll try to find a dryer brand.i tried jack daniels straight last week and thought it extremely rough, so coked it down... I wouldn't mind a try of monkey shoulder ( bourbon isn't it? )and the rose sounds good. I've also noticed a far greater range of ales,lagers etc ... I've tried at least 10 lagers and really like staropranam ( a chech lager ) i'm going to stay with lagers and perhaps cider through summer and go for the heavier beers ( guiness etc ) in winter.thanks for the advice.

Parma Violet Gin - Amazon It's good with the usual tonic or again with clear lemonade and ice.

Monkey Shoulder It's a blended malt from William Grants (Glens Vodka, Grants Whiskey etc) it's smoother than most other whiskeys and is a few notches above the swill like Bells or Famous Grouse, can usually get it on offer in Morrisons (Usual price is £27) and can be drunk with a variety of mixers, you can even do some trendy cocktail stuff with it if the mood takes you.

I'm not a huge fan of lagers although on the rare occasion I go to the pub i do tend to drink fosters, weak yah i know but it's less gassy so doesn't bloat me up.

london, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 14:01:20
@cole Said

Parma Violet Gin - Amazon It's good with the usual tonic or again with clear lemonade and ice.

Monkey Shoulder It's a blended malt from William Grants (Glens Vodka, Grants Whiskey etc) it's smoother than most other whiskeys and is a few notches above the swill like Bells or Famous Grouse, can usually get it on offer in Morrisons (Usual price is £27) and can be drunk with a variety of mixers, you can even do some trendy cocktail stuff with it if the mood takes you.

I'm not a huge fan of lagers although on the rare occasion I go to the pub i do tend to drink fosters, weak yah i know but it's less gassy so doesn't bloat me up.

that gin sounds good, I might try a long one on ice when the temperature hits 24+ .. I am curious about monkey shoulder and can see me trying it this year. am currently enjoying glenfiddich and jamesons for sipping whisk(e)y ..and, I've not looed at morrisons yet .. so, i'll try and find one.. if you fancy a new lager then give that starapranam a go .. has a nice flavour and it goes down smoothly.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#25New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 15:29:48
@Eaglebauer Said

Weller is excellent.

I don't recall seeing Weller, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#26New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 19:08:07
@offbeat Said

lol... thanks but no thanks..i definitely don't need a therapist, i'm old enough and have enough self awareness now to be able to make my own decisions.

Having One good friend is better than having all of the therapists in the world. Here comes the however. However a doctor can prescribe medications to help with the pain.

london, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Apr 13, 2018 @ 01:00:04
@Erimitus Said

Having One good friend is better than having all of the therapists in the world. Here comes the however. However a doctor can prescribe medications to help with the pain.

oh, don't worry, if the pain gets too bad then visiting the doctor for pain killers is one of my options.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs