The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

if you go back in time to change a timeline, which history event , you would change and why?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#61New Post! May 02, 2016 @ 23:06:18
I know you do not respond to me, but thought I would comment anyway...

@Jennifer1984 Said

It is reasonable to state that power can be achieved by force, but history tells us that such power is often relatively short lived.

Although history also tells us that:

1. The violent will annihilate the passive when it comes to war (see for example the current genocide against Christians in Islamic areas of the Middle East, Pakistan, Northern Africa etc etc).

2. That the passive are protected by those who are prepared to use violence on their behalf (while denying or perhaps not even realising that they do so). See for example utopian leftists of any stripe in western nations.

3. That the passive generally either die or stop being passive when confronted for the fist time by an existential threat. And sometimes, they even become violent when confronted with a contradictory idea (see for example, Buddhists in Tibet who killed many people prior to the Chinese invasion, and Buddhists in Bhutan who still kill people).

4. That a nation is rarely won by the peaceful, and that even when it is, the revolution still turns towards violence at some point (see for example, the partition of India, or societal breakdown and ethnic tensions in South Africa).

@Jennifer1984 Said
That simple philosophy brought freedom to millions of Indians without a shot being fired.

And then it bought death to hundreds of thousands, if not a few million.

Nisid Hajari, writing on the after math of the partition of India says: "Gangs of killers set whole villages aflame, hacking to death men and children and the aged while carrying off young women to be r4ped. Some British soldiers and journalists who had witnessed the Nazi death camps claimed Partition’s brutalities were worse: pregnant women had their br3asts cut off and babies hacked out of their bellies; infants were found literally roasted on spits.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/29/the-great-divide-books-dalrymple

@Jennifer1984 Said
I can see your argument.... that physical strength can be used to exert force upon individuals or groups.... but that only applies up to a point. Greater forces such as the inspiration of a Gandhi or a Mandela (remember his policy of Truth and Reconciliation) can overcome all the guns in the world.

People can be strong without picking up a weapon.

Ghandi and Mandela were exceptional people. Yet even so, they failed to create the joyous utopia that might be possible if all people thought like them. Why? Because the overwhelming majority of people are nothing like Mandela and Ghandi. The fact that you point to them actually shows how rare they are.

Plus, it was not Mandela and Ghandi alone that changed the status quo of their respective nations. England was losing the stomach for empire post WWII, and South Africa was under constant external pressure to change. Mandela would have rotted in jail were it not for internal dissidents and external pressure. Ghandi would likewise have rotted in prison or simply been shot had the UK had the will for empire.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#62New Post! May 03, 2016 @ 00:08:28
Stop my conception because being is pointless.But ...but if I stop my conception I won't be able to come back and stop my conception.
mrmhead On about 21 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#63New Post! May 03, 2016 @ 01:28:03
@Erimitus Said

Stop my conception because being is pointless.But ...but if I stop my conception I won't be able to come back and stop my conception.

Under the theory of an infinite number of universes of all possibilities, you already don't exist in ... an infinite number of them!

So don't worry, Be happy!
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#64New Post! Feb 15, 2018 @ 02:46:31
That would be against the prime directive so I could not do it!!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#65New Post! Feb 15, 2018 @ 03:10:30
@Komentenmelodie Said

That would be against the prime directive so I could not do it!!

when I was a kid and a teenager, watching " star trek " in 60's. when I think I teach myself disciples and principles. I used first, " the prime directive " focus point, because have a good moral points to live by.

even today, I have a strong principles in a lot of things. with disciples, I am relax than ever, more " peace of mind " than something not there as an issue.

the prime directive was the best science fiction premise deals with not only in tv shows's plots. I found out that I appreciate more than good and bad theme in " star wars".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs