The Little Aussie Soapbox

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...28 29 30 31 32 ...40 41 42 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#436New Post! Dec 23, 2017 @ 18:19:14
@ombra Said

Unfortunately, the anti-gun people are every bit as fanatic as the NRA, so it comes down to a choice of which wacko to support...them that want to turn this country into another Japan (where only the police and yakuza can get guns), or them that want to go hunting with Uzis and keep assault rifles legal. I don't much like guns, but I'd have to side with the Second Amendment.

Fair enough. As I said though for me (as an active shooter) I think we have a fairly good balance. For example, unless you are a professional shooter, you shouldn't need a semi automatic or automatic weapon. Nor should you need high capacity magazines etc etc etc. And running checks to make sure the person applying for a firearm license doesn't have a criminal record and doesn't have a history of mental illness should be a no brainer.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#437New Post! Dec 23, 2017 @ 21:46:41
@ombra Said

I would agree. I often wonder just what motivates Muslims to emigrate to America, Europe, Australia, etc. They almost always claim it for greater freedom, but their actions seldom support their words. When they get here the women jump into the burqas, the men grow beards and don the turban, they throw the kids into madrasah, and avoid associating with non-muslims, so what exactly are they getting here that they cannot find in their homeland?

I think it might have something to do with the various sects in Islam. You have the peaceful ones right through to the hateful ones. If your area is dominated by one and you are the minority then you will suffer.
Just like the Pilgims migrated for religious freedom so too do Muslims.
And that's what they do... and try to dominate. Recreate what they wanted in their homeland.

#438New Post! Dec 23, 2017 @ 21:51:13
@shadowen Said

The strange thing is that we actually encourage people from other cultures NOT to assimilate once they arrive here (very different to government policy in the 50's for example). We are not so much a culture influenced by people from many lands as much as we are a country where a number of cultures exist within their own little cocoons.

Migrants tend to stick together.
After WW2 we had Greeks in Prahran... Italians in Noble Park and Clayton... Germans in Altona etc etc etc.
It still happens... Vietnamese in Richard for example.

It takes 3 generations for complete assimilation to happen.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#439New Post! Dec 24, 2017 @ 15:11:20
@Justpassing Said

To a fair degree I think it depends on the origin of the person (and of course on the individual). Some groups just seem to more willing/determined to fit in than others.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#440New Post! Dec 24, 2017 @ 15:14:53
Ok so this song was written from a Kiwi perspective but as an Aussie it's pretty easy to relate to...

Summer Wonderland

Sleigh bells ring
Are you listening
Sunburn sting
Ice-blocks glistening
The beautiful sight
Of barbies alight
Strolling through a Summer Wonderland

Pour the sav
In the sunshine
Serve the pav
Up at lunch time
Pop the bubbles for nan
Pineapples on ham

In the arvo we can grab the wickets
The plastic cricket bat your brother found
Backyard full of all your distant rellies
So we pass the can of mozzie spray around

Later on, the sun is falling
And your drunk, uncle's snoring
We'll hear the birds in the trees
Feel the warm breeze

Way down here
Christmas landmarks
Are summer flowers
And funny tan marks

We're happy and bright
Not a snowman in sight
ombra On July 08, 2018

Oakland, California
#441New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 05:51:03
@shadowen Said

Fair enough. As I said though for me (as an active shooter) I think we have a fairly good balance. For example, unless you are a professional shooter, you shouldn't need a semi automatic or automatic weapon. Nor should you need high capacity magazines etc etc etc. And running checks to make sure the person applying for a firearm license doesn't have a criminal record and doesn't have a history of mental illness should be a no brainer.

Exactly so. Unfortunately the retards on both sides are ill equipped to use such advanced reasoning, or else unwilling to be reasonable. The NRA thinks that if they make any concessions to the anti-gun fanatics, it will be a case of give them an inch today and tomorrow they will be back demanding a mile. This leads the pro-gun people to be equally fanatic and intractable, so that any gun control law is immediately attacked...irregardless as to whether or not its a good idea. On the other side of the fence, you got the anti-gun fanatics that have made it clear their 'end game' is a total ban of guns, and they are quite willing to use the modus operandi of the anti-smoking camp to accomplish their agenda. In short, neither side is willing to co-exist, and both sides demand an 'all or nothing outcome'.

Actually most of the laws you mention already exist in this country. Machine guns have been banned since Dillinger days, and only a select few get special license to buy and possess it...unless one is a gang member or SWAT team. As for "running checks" that has been in place for I don't know how many years (ten years maybe?). The problem is not that the laws of America and Australia are so different, its that our laws do not seem to be enforced, but that does not stop the anti-gun devotees from demanding more and more restrictive laws...which common sense can guarantee will be not a whit more effective than the current laws are.
ombra On July 08, 2018

Oakland, California
#442New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 06:06:49
@Justpassing Said

I think it might have something to do with the various sects in Islam. You have the peaceful ones right through to the hateful ones. If your area is dominated by one and you are the minority then you will suffer.
Just like the Pilgims migrated for religious freedom so too do Muslims.
And that's what they do... and try to dominate. Recreate what they wanted in their homeland.

Yes, but different countries (and sometimes different regions of the same country) are under control of those "various sects". So if you are a Sunni living in a Shi'a controlled region or country, the answer to your problem is to move to Sunni controlled region or country...not to France or Australia where everything will be different. The Pilgrims had no such place to move to (so far as I know there were no Puritan-controlled region or country back then).
ombra On July 08, 2018

Oakland, California
#443New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 06:18:47
@shadowen Said

To a fair degree I think it depends on the origin of the person (and of course on the individual). Some groups just seem to more willing/determined to fit in than others.

Indeed, I would much doubt that it took the Greeks and Italians three generations to completely fit in. I suspect that by the time the first generation was on its deathbed, they could at least speak English well enough to get by, and likely the second generation was reasonably fluent.
ombra On July 08, 2018

Oakland, California
#444New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 06:34:57
@Justpassing Said

Migrants tend to stick together.
After WW2 we had Greeks in Prahran... Italians in Noble Park and Clayton... Germans in Altona etc etc etc.
It still happens... Vietnamese in Richard for example.

True enough, but there is a big difference between a Chinese immigrant wanting to live in a Chinatown section of Sydney, and one who refuses to learn English, or do much else to fit in, or in any way embrace the culture of Oz. I had occasion a year ago to read some pamphlets put out by Australia for foreigners wanting to become an Aussie citizen. It talked about Australian culture that emigrates are expected to embrace, rights of citizens, and what is expected of new arrivals. It seems to me that people are moving to Australia, America, etc., with the expectation that they need make no effort to fit in, because the country and its people will adopt to their every custom and cultural whim.

#445New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 23:26:17
@ombra Said

True enough, but there is a big difference between a Chinese immigrant wanting to live in a Chinatown section of Sydney, and one who refuses to learn English, or do much else to fit in, or in any way embrace the culture of Oz. I had occasion a year ago to read some pamphlets put out by Australia for foreigners wanting to become an Aussie citizen. It talked about Australian culture that emigrates are expected to embrace, rights of citizens, and what is expected of new arrivals. It seems to me that people are moving to Australia, America, etc., with the expectation that they need make no effort to fit in, because the country and its people will adopt to their every custom and cultural whim.

Yes they are, and somehow the method required has changed.

Being a post war migrant (with my family when I was 3) we arrived in Australia into a camp where mum and dad (and I) were taught aussie culture and language.. and assisted with job hunting.
Once sufficient English was learnt, and a job secured, and only then, were we able to leave camp.
Sure, we seeked out other Germans to share memories and traditions with. But also had to deal with non-acceptance by some Aussies - the "you taking our jobs.. go back to where you come from" mob.
I had to deal with some of that at school by kids who learnt it from their parents.
I married a Pommie and my second partner has French/aborigine blood in her.

Let's talk Chinatown, albeit for me... Melbourne.
Yes you have the Chinese restaurants etc etc but venture into the alleyways to find real chinatown. Like real chinese food served up in a family's dining room on a 1950's laminex table.. where the old cook and waitress speaks no English and chatters away in Chinese to the couple at the other end of the table.... regulars.
From this other couple I learn that this old lady came with her brother and daughter... excaped from China... he husband executed. In the eight years in Australia never learnt English.. her sponser brought her over and made her work as a kitchen hand for no pay. Friends helped her escape.. set her up here.
Her daughter is going out with an Vietnamese aussie "Nice boy"

Assimulation - yes it happens.Just not the way it used to.

#446New Post! Dec 25, 2017 @ 23:34:36
@ombra Said

Yes, but different countries (and sometimes different regions of the same country) are under control of those "various sects". So if you are a Sunni living in a Shi'a controlled region or country, the answer to your problem is to move to Sunni controlled region or country...not to France or Australia where everything will be different. The Pilgrims had no such place to move to (so far as I know there were no Puritan-controlled region or country back then).

My guess is they start off with good intentions... move to a better country.. start again.

And it probably would be more promising and cheaper to go overseas than relocate.

I think all the refugee camps on the borders tend to support this.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#447New Post! Jan 07, 2018 @ 04:55:32
Listening to Hoges tell of his first trip to the US around the time he was preparing to film the "Say G'day" ads for the yanks. Among other things he mentioned was being at a shindig and asking someone if he could "bum a fag". Fair to say they thought he mean't something completely different to what he intended!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#448New Post! Feb 07, 2018 @ 08:15:12
Can't understand how some parents can get their knickers in a knot when their kids are disciplined for not wearing the correct school uniform. The schools inform parents prior to enrolment what the school's dress code is. If as a parent (and/or student) you then choose to ignore this dress code that's on you. If you don't like the dress code choose a bloody different school. Simples.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#449New Post! Feb 07, 2018 @ 08:24:52
Dundee 's back...sort of!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#450New Post! May 25, 2018 @ 06:27:22
Saddened to hear of the death of two workers at the Ettamogah paper mill...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...28 29 30 31 32 ...40 41 42 · >>

2 browsing (0 members - 2 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs