Forums: Science:
Astronomy

Enceladus

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 21:33:40
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4409626/Saturn-s-moon-Enceladus-ingredients-life.html?ITO=applenews

A few key points in the article:

1. Enceladus is a moon of Saturn, with an ice cap covering the entire body, that was discovered by the Cassini spacecraft in 2005 to have a liquid ocean beneath the surface due to plumes of vapor escaping through cracks in the surface.

2. This is possible from the gravitational friction caused by Saturn during the moon's orbit. This heats the rock core of the moon to 90 degrees Celsius, which in turn melts the ice into water.

3. A planet needs to have water, as well as carbon dioxide, suitable temperature, and hydrogen to be able to sustain life.

4. The last of these, hydrogen, was announced today to exist via discovery through Cassini's deep dive into one of these vaporous plumes, giving this the first discovery in our solar system of a body containing all four of the essential building blocks needed for the existence of life, besides Earth.

5. Further research will occur as to whether life exists on Enceladus, namely single cell organisms, as well as whether other possible bodies in our solar system contain these four building blocks, including launching a spacecraft to be sent in the 2020s to Jupiter's Europa.

Interesting stuff.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 23:01:20
@Leon Said

3. A planet needs to have water, as well as carbon dioxide, suitable temperature, and hydrogen to be able to sustain life.

Life As we know it

just a pet peeve of mine, not to nit-pick. It's partly a matter of how we define "life" and humans limited experience of "life"

But - YES! I was reading about that earlier today!
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Apr 13, 2017 @ 23:14:32
@mrmhead Said

Life As we know it

just a pet peeve of mine, not to nit-pick. It's partly a matter of how we define "life" and humans limited experience of "life"

But - YES! I was reading about that earlier today!

Haha no worries, and point taken.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs