Portland, Oregon, bakery accused of racism for Oreo pastry

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#31New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 02:11:49
@twilitezone911 Said

that explain why he never send me any Hanukkah cards over the years.

I went to north pole once, santa was pissed off at me since, that I had affair with ms. clause.

she must been really alone, santa recognized my name in the snow outside their igloo.

because santa recognized ms. clause's handwritten in the snow. she gave me for 4 stars after my name in the snow.

twilitezone911 plus 4 stars ?!!?!?!? Wow, that's a lot of 'ink',,,,

n/a, New Mexico
#32New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 02:14:43
@mrmhead Said

I'm not of Asian decent, but, maybe I should be offended for them at the State Fairs that sell "Deep Fried Twinkies" as an underhanded nod towards violence against Asian Americans ....

twinkie:
An asian person who is either adopted or living in a white community. Hence, yellow on the outside and white on the inside.
(urban dictionary)

First Oreo cookies , now twinkles, what's next birthday cake??
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#33New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 02:31:14
@white_swan53 Said

twilitezone911 plus 4 stars ?!!?!?!? Wow, that's a lot of 'ink',,,,

she grab something else, it wasn't my pen that she wrote my name in the snow with.

n/a, New Mexico
#34New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 03:39:47
@twilitezone911 Said

she grab something else, it wasn't my pen that she wrote my name in the snow with.

Ya don't say ?
I assumed you were talking about the same 'subject ' as Santa in the photo and using the same type of 'ink' .
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#35New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 03:41:54
TMI, guys, TMI!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#36New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 03:49:46
@white_swan53 Said

Ya don't say ?
I assumed you were talking about the same 'subject ' as Santa in the photo and using the same type of 'ink' .

the ink is yellow, doesn't taste like lemonade.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 04:15:20
@white_swan53 Said

https://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CUPCAKE_RACISM?SITE=SCAND&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I don't see how the pastry it's self could be considered racist. Was the baker being racist naming the pastry "Mr. President"? I don't see how that could be considered racist either. If the baker had called the pastry 'President Obama ', with some imagination maybe the pastry could be considered racist.

A cupcake is a pastry...?

Perhaps there's some sort of culture shift here, but where I come from, cupcakes are made from sponge cake, not pastry.

A croissant is a pastry, for example. Pastry is made in shortcrust, puff or choux varieties. Or at least it is here.

I was taught by my mum that pastry is basically a dough made of flour, fat and water and is used either as a casing for pies or as a sweet variety for filling with cream, fruit or jam.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but a cupcake is made from sponge cake and it's therefore a cake (the clue is in the name). It's made from wheat flour, sugar and eggs (perhaps a little baking powder). Very different to a pastry.

Perhaps somebody could clear up my confusion for me. Thanks.

But anyway.... to get back on topic.... I'm quite sure this "Obama" business isn't an instance of racism, but if it were, what penalty would there be for the person making the cake...?

We have anti discrimination legislation here and bakers have been known to get into trouble over cake.

Northern Ireland Bakery Prosecuted Over Gay Cake

Could a similar thing happen in the US if somebody made an official complaint..?

n/a, New Mexico
#38New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 05:17:59
@Jennifer1984 Said

A cupcake is a pastry...?

Perhaps there's some sort of culture shift here, but where I come from, cupcakes are made from sponge cake, not pastry.

A croissant is a pastry, for example. Pastry is made in shortcrust, puff or choux varieties. Or at least it is here.

I was taught by my mum that pastry is basically a dough made of flour, fat and water and is used either as a casing for pies or as a sweet variety for filling with cream, fruit or jam.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but a cupcake is made from sponge cake and it's therefore a cake (the clue is in the name). It's made from wheat flour, sugar and eggs (perhaps a little baking powder). Very different to a pastry.

Perhaps somebody could clear up my confusion for me. Thanks.

But anyway.... to get back on topic.... I'm quite sure this "Obama" business isn't an instance of racism, but if it were, what penalty would there be for the person making the cake...?

We have anti discrimination legislation here and bakers have been known to get into trouble over cake.

Northern Ireland Bakery Prosecuted Over Gay Cake

Could a similar thing happen in the US if somebody made an official complaint..?

For myself a pastry is a light and flaky roll or bun and has some sort of filling like fruit jam, whipped cream or pudding . And a cup cake is a cup of cake or a miniature cake.
But it seems that either the Portland baker or reporter has different idea about the topic.
I'm no lawyer and the laws differ with each state ,
While anything doing with racism is frowned upon in all 50 states,I think the only any legal issues would be if the owner/baker had made a threat against the president or a customer .

n/a, New Mexico
#39New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 05:21:15
@DuLu Said

TMI, guys, TMI!

What does TMI mean ?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 18:02:40
@white_swan53 Said

For myself a pastry is a light and flaky roll or bun and has some sort of filling like fruit jam, whipped cream or pudding . And a cup cake is a cup of cake or a miniature cake.
But it seems that either the Portland baker or reporter has different idea about the topic.
I'm no lawyer and the laws differ with each state ,
While anything doing with racism is frowned upon in all 50 states,I think the only any legal issues would be if the owner/baker had made a threat against the president or a customer .

From the article quoted in the OP

The cupcake is described as an Oreo Cookie baked inside white cake with cookies n' cream buttercream.

Perhaps I'm just being pedantic, but I'm sometimes a little bemused by the variations of definition of everyday things between two peoples who share the same language.

So, what we have here is a biscuit (cookie) baked inside a cake. Actually, it sounds quite nice. I can't see how anybody could take exception to that. It might be a bit difficult to dip the Oreo in the milk from inside the cake though. Perhaps putting it there is an added incentive to eat the cake, as if any additional incentive to eat cake is needed. Cake is yummy enough as it is..!!

Actually, posting on the thread this morning decided me to do some baking today. I told Megan we were going to make some cakes and she ran to the kitchen straight away. We had great fun. Of course, it got a bit messy with flour, but at least the eggs ended up where they should be... in the mixing bowl.

For the record, we made some chocolate muffins and a lemon drizzle cake. The cake was made specially for Amanda because she really likes it. It's one of her favourites.

Legal disclaimer: To the best of my intention, knowledge and belief, there was no racist element or motive involved in the making of chocolate muffins.

n/a, New Mexico
#41New Post! Oct 13, 2016 @ 19:26:12
@Jennifer1984 Said

From the article quoted in the OP

The cupcake is described as an Oreo Cookie baked inside white cake with cookies n' cream buttercream.

Perhaps I'm just being pedantic, but I'm sometimes a little bemused by the variations of definition of everyday things between two peoples who share the same language.

So, what we have here is a biscuit (cookie) baked inside a cake. Actually, it sounds quite nice. I can't see how anybody could take exception to that. It might be a bit difficult to dip the Oreo in the milk from inside the cake though. Perhaps putting it there is an added incentive to eat the cake, as if any additional incentive to eat cake is needed. Cake is yummy enough as it is..!!

Actually, posting on the thread this morning decided me to do some baking today. I told Megan we were going to make some cakes and she ran to the kitchen straight away. We had great fun. Of course, it got a bit messy with flour, but at least the eggs ended up where they should be... in the mixing bowl.

For the record, we made some chocolate muffins and a lemon drizzle cake. The cake was made specially for Amanda because she really likes it. It's one of her favourites.

Legal disclaimer: To the best of my intention, knowledge and belief, there was no racist element or motive involved in the making of chocolate muffins.

An Oreo is two chocolate cookies that are very dark brown with a snow white cream sandwiched between the two cookies . ( IMO , you ain't lived till you have had a glass of ice cold milk and a handful of Oreo's )
Why anyone would want bake one into boring white cake batter then mess it all up by smearing butter cream frosting all over it is beyond my comprehension. some people just can't grasp the concept of ' if it ain't broke , don't fix it '

I use to enjoy time spent making the kitchen look like a tornado had hit it with my ankle biters , then sitting down at the table among the mess talking and giggling with them while we taste tested our creations fresh from the oven.
Damn I miss those kids. The adult versions aren't as much fun as those kids were to have around .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs