Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

person of interest

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2016 @ 00:26:45
I was in my 20's, I read the book called " 1984 " by George orwell. I read the book twice, I was fascinated by the concept of " big brother " concept.

even today, that our government is spying on us. recently, five years run tv show, called " person of interest ". that what the government does if the government think you are terrorist or suspect to a crime. they will watch," person of interest ".

so, I was think or I am trying compare 1984 to person of interest. so. I will start with the book: 1984.

in the book, there is a term " thoughtcrimes ". a thoughtcrime is an occurrence or instance of controversial or socially or unacceptable thoughts. the term is also used to describe some theological thoughts such as disbelief or idolatry,or a rejection of strong philosophical or social principles.

The term was popularized in the dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, wherein thoughtcrime is the criminal act of holding unspoken beliefs or doubts that oppose or question the ruling party. In the book, the government attempts to control not only the speech and actions, but also the thoughts of its subjects. To entertain unacceptable thoughts is known as crimethink in Newspeak, the ideologically purified dialect of the party. "Crimestop" is a way to avoid crimethink by immediately purging dangerous thoughts from the mind.

you see how the orwell's world is try control how they think and stop give the free will to think.

in the world of Oceania, they have own language. oceania's government developed a language called " newspeak ". the purpose of newspeak is The aim of Newspeak is to remove all shades of meaning from language, leaving simple concepts (pleasure and pain, happiness and sadness, goodthink and crimethink) that reinforce the total dominance of the State. Newspeak root words serve as both nouns and verbs, further reducing the total number of words; for example, "think" is both a noun and verb, so the word thought is not required and can be abolished. The party also intends that Newspeak be spoken in staccato rhythms with syllables that are easy to pronounce. This will make speech more automatic and unconscious and reduce the likelihood of thought.

in other word, what we would mind control. do what the government want you to do, not think for yourself.

oceania is a totalitarianism state.

The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, by the character Emmanuel Goldstein, is the fictional book that is used as a thematic and plot element in the dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949), by George Orwell. According to Orwell's plot, in the totalitarian society of Oceania, ruled by the seemingly omnipotent, omniscient Party, Emmanuel Goldstein (in the Party's propaganda) is the principal enemy of the state – a former member of the Inner Party – continually conspiring against the leadership of Big Brother. Early in the story, the protagonist thinks to himself: "There were ... whispered stories of a terrible book, a compendium of all the heresies, of which Goldstein was the author and which circulated clandestinely here and there. It was a book without a title. People referred to it, if at all, simply as The Book".

what I wrote about this above , to introduce you to this the thread's topic. I would like you to keep in mind, next topic in this thread: " person of interest ".
(footnote of about tv series. person of interest is really good tv show. I highly recommend it. you can watch on " wgm Chicago, it on during the days as well as nights. you can see the first four seasons on wgm . it least, 2 to 3 times a week. )

person of interest's introduction that will see on tv, is narrated by the creator of " the machine " is one of the main character and as the creator known as ' Harold finch ". Harold is also leader of a group that will learn below now.

this introduction of the tv show.

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people; people like you. Crimes the government considered 'irrelevant'. They wouldn't act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

let me introduces to Harold's group.

there is a john reese, a former green beret/ delta force operator and cia operator. john is try to run away from his past and the law. Harold and the machine give john a purpose to live. basely, a man with a purpose.

Harold and john need more recruits for elite team. they found two honest detectives in new York police department. the two detectives named are lionel fusco and joss carter. Harold and john to convinced them that weren't viligantes. especially, john, let said, john's actions doing his job or tab unorthodox ways, that lionel and joss might consider a " no-no " with the law. it ook about the first season, the two detectives to see john and harold's ways.

last two recruits of the team. her name is samatha " root " groves. root is a very high intelligent hacker and a contract killer. " the machine " trust root make her a partner with her. root call the machine, " her ". her let root have asset to her without safeguards to stop root for get in her system. now, Harold and root only ones can operate her.

The Machine is an artificially intelligent mass surveillance system that is able to accurately predict premeditated violent crime by monitoring and analyzing all surveillance cameras and electronic communications worldwide. It divides those crimes based on whether they are relevant to national security; those relevant cases are handled by the U.S. government, while the non-relevant cases in New York City.

now back to my thread, person of interest, I think is the next step the " big brother " concept that take the place of " 1984 " concept.

An intense believer in privacy rights, Finch originally programmed the Machine so that it would be a complete black box, able to provide only the Social Security Number of people involved with the crime. While this meant that the government was not able to use it without regard for privacy, it means that numbers Finch and his associates received could belong to a victim or a perpetrator. Originally unknown to Finch, however, Nathan Ingram created a routine called "Contingency", on the eve of the government handover, to access the non-relevant data. Finch is appalled that Ingram has the data sent directly to him and shuts down the routine, before reactivating it after Ingram's death. To minimize detectability, The Machine feeds him numbers in coded messages through public telephones.

the machine is learning to compassion, self-reliance, and protect the human race from itself. i will stop now, about this tv show. i would like to watch the show. i don't want to run the show, if tell more about it.

now, in conclusion of the thread, i will offer you some questions that i will thinking about when i wrote this thread. i hope i have done a good job in comparing 1984 to person of interest.

is oceania and our society are the same or difference?

has orwell's concept of " big brother " is more realistic today in the world of Harold finch? or fictional in that world or is more fictional in our world these days?

what more dangerous that Harold's machine or big brother in security of our nation? what is the bigger threat to our nation, what within our borders or a foreign country?

is technology for us, a tool or a weapon? is technology, our master or our slave? are we a slave or a master to technology?

why does society or man need to conquer things or control them for their bedding?

why does man need power to control?

does man's ego need to play god?

did god give man, the power as a curse or ambition to destroy to create?

does man have the right to have this power?

post your thoughts!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs