The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
UK Elections & Politics

Are you a leave or remain voter, and why?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#31New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 17:32:27
@Leon Said

I have no idea what the merits of whether Britian should stay or go are, and, therefore, will offer my input on the song instead.

Fantastic song. One of the best ever recorded.

Awesome song & the title is perfect!
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 18:11:04
@Leez Said

Unless you are also French, then, don't speak for all the French in regards to their right to vote or having an opinion. Their right to vote is not associated with any political party as you seem to label 'US' with the right wing, or as a few malcontents. ( me included for being French).

In France, the right to protest is also amongst the Amendments - rightly or wrongly.

I know the history of the Britsh for being British too. I find it laughable for you to speak in the name of all the British, when I refuse to be in your little ignorant group.

I'll vote in both countries, well hoping that the French government hold a similar referendum, by using my democratic right. Whichever way the vote goes, I'll accept it as other people also have the right to vote the same way.

Well, that's a bit strong. What brings that on..? It's almost Boxer-like.

I didn't ask you to be in any "ignorant little group" by which I presume you mean "Remain" voters. From the tenor of your messages, I don't think I'd want you to be. You sound much more suited to the Leave brigade.

I use the term "us" (and occasionally "we" and "them" ) in a broad sense for the sake of brevity, something which is very common in the English language. We do this rather than going through the tedious process of categorising every group or possible combination of sub-divisions.

You obviously don't understand the British as well as you think you do.

And while it is true to say that not all "Leavers" are right-wing, it is more true to say that just about all right-wingers are Leavers. You choose which category you wish to put yourself in.

If you have a vote here, then use it as you please. That's democracy. If you have a vote in France too, and a French referendum comes to pass (which I doubt will occur), then you are fortunate indeed to have a foot in both camps.

For your information, the longer you're here, you'll find I'm actually quite a Francophile. I've spent some time in your lovely country and have always enjoyed myself very much. I was the only person on this site to defend France's decision not to join the US wars of revenge in Afghanistan and Iraq... something for which I have suffered a great deal of abuse from certain quarters ever since. (Cue stalker.... he won't be very far away now I've made that comment)

My only advice to yourself - and bear in mind, this is advice and you shouldn't go interpreting it in any other way - be wary of faux amis on this site.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 18:30:09
Now that we have this little "clearing of the air" out of the way, I'd be interested to read what your specific objections to the EU are.

The principle British objection is centered around migration and the right to work in any member state. To the best of my knowledge this isn't such an important issue in France. Please tell me if you see things differently.

Just as a case in point, one of the mums at my daughter's play group is a Gibraltarian and she is worried that if Britain leaves the EU, Spain will once again close the border and many Gibraltarians who cross the border daily into Spain to work will no longer be able to do so.

The Spain / Gibraltar border was closed between 1967 and 1982 when it was partially opened, and then fully opened in 1985 in order to prevent Britain vetoing Spain's entry into the EU in 1986. Would the closing of the border affect Gibraltarians loyalty to the UK..?

Consequences..... consequences....

But enough of us. I think the divisions in British opinion are pretty well known. I'd be interested to know what the pros and cons are according to the French people.
Leez On May 07, 2017

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 18:44:44
@Jennifer1984 Said

Well, that's a bit strong. What brings that on..? It's almost Boxer-like.

I didn't ask you to be in any "ignorant little group" by which I presume you mean "Remain" voters. From the tenor of your messages, I don't think I'd want you to be. You sound much more suited to the Leave brigade.

I use the term "us" (and occasionally "them" ) in a broad sense for the sake of brevity, something which is very common in the English language. We do this rather than going through the tedious process of categorising every group or possible combination of sub-divisions.

You obviously don't understand the British as well as you think you do.

And while it is true to say that not all "Leavers" are right-wing, it is more true to say that just about all right-wingers are Leavers. You choose which category you wish to put yourself in.

If you have a vote here, then use it as you please. That's democracy. If you have a vote in France too, and a French referendum comes to pass (which I doubt will occur), then you are fortunate indeed to have a foot in both camps.

For your information, the longer you're here, you'll find I'm actually quite a Francophile. I've spent some time in your lovely country and have always enjoyed myself very much. I was the only person on this site to defend France's decision not to join the US wars of revenge in Afghanistan and Iraq... something for which I have suffered a great deal of abuse from certain quarters ever since. (Cue stalker.... he won't be very far away now I've made that comment)

My only advice to yourself - and bear in mind, this is advice and you shouldn't go interpreting it in any other way - be wary of faux amis on this site.

Well, what brings on that - your attitude to generalise the British and French, with an 'etiquette'.

Being Francophile, or whatever greatness you added in support of whichever French decison, doesn't mean you can speak for everyone. That's your little business to deal with alone. Whatever you claimed to be, I can't be bothered to concern myself with that - your choice. So, good for you, next you'll be more American than the Americans, if you're not one already.

I'm pleased you finally understood that I have a choice and own mind to decide on my vote, without being associated with any particular group.

Anyway, the ignorant group is a reference to your quick generalisation of people, as I find it quite daft on your behalf to jump on such conclusions. And you're still banging on about the 'leavers' being the right wing, when in reality and in my case, I didn't vote for the last election.

As for also being British, but my inability to understand the British, well, I'm not from your generation to invest that much time holding on to the old traditions.

And your lesson about 'we', although used in the broad sense, there are different contexts where one should be careful before using it. Or, you didn't know that ?

Your free advice is unwanted - but thanks anyway. It's very gracious of you to trouble yourself with that.
Leez On May 07, 2017

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 18:55:09
As for wanting to know the the French opinions about the pros and cons of leaving the EU, I suggest you join a French forum for that. You'll get plenty of opinions.

I've already stated my reasons to leave the EU on another thread, and a summary on this one.

It's too much work for me to start again - apology.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Jun 13, 2016 @ 19:18:37
@Leez Said

As for wanting to know the the French opinions about the pros and cons of leaving the EU, I suggest you join a French forum for that. You'll get plenty of opinions.

I've already stated my reasons to leave the EU on another thread, and a summary on this one.

It's too much work for me to start again - apology.

I'll go in search of the other thread.

I have discussed the EU with other French people (I'll discuss this subject with anybody) but you're the only one I know of who is anti-EU, which was why I asked for your opinion. You seem to be a lone voice in my experience. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

No need to apologise for not wanting to engage in a discussion. I quite understand your reticence towards going into more depth.

Have a nice evening.

PS.... "Or, you didn't know that ?" should be: "Or didn't you know that?" But hey, your English is better than my French so only a minor correction (in a spirit of helpfulness).

Please feel free to correct my French whenever I use it. I like to improve.
LordGnome On February 24, 2017

Dayn Sayth, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 11:08:58
I am for leave but only just. it is my natural british instinct to distrust anything continental and if leez is an example of the sort of migrant being in the eu attracts then the sooner we are out the better. How rude to tell us how to speak our own language in our own country. if you dont like the way we talk frenchy then get back acros the channel where you belong. england for the english.

On the other hand i am quite prepared to listen to the remain camps argument too because i am aware that we will only get this vote once and if we leave now we will never be allowed back in. this is a once only shot. i have grandchildren who will be affected by the decision we make in a couple of weeks and they will bear the consequences long after i am dead and gone. we have to get this right one way or the other.
Leez On May 07, 2017

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 17:59:10
@LordGnome Said

I am for leave but only just. it is my natural british instinct to distrust anything continental and if leez is an example of the sort of migrant being in the eu attracts then the sooner we are out the better. .

Excuse me, that's a very daft assumption that I'm a migrant.
I'm born French with a British and French parent. Brought up in both countries, pay taxes and rightly a citizen.
My nationality is an accident of birth and not a choice.
How does that make me a migrant ?
I hope I'm not one of the tax payers feeding the lazy locals, and then, the locals would shout loudly that people with a British parent and dual nationality, are migrants.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#39New Post! Jun 15, 2016 @ 14:48:34
@shinobinoz Said

Awesome song & the title is perfect!

I agree. This song also comes to mind.

That's "Leave or Stay" by the Cars
fermz On June 28, 2016

Dudley, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Jun 21, 2016 @ 06:07:42
I am firmly an IN voter. Too much elitist nonsense from the right-wing, Cameron wanting to stay in is a smoke-screen in my opinion. Give the Tories and the far right complete rule over the UK and watch the working-class crumble, exactly the people they are targeting for the OUT campaign. Ruthless bastards.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#41New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:36:29
An historic decision by UK voters.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#42New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 04:58:09
This should be interesting.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#43New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:46:39
I hope for the people of the UK that the decision to leave the EU proves to be a beneficial one.
Jaynes On September 26, 2022

Brighton, United Kingdom
#44New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 13:07:28
i voted to leave, as i feel strongly about my country, i want it back to how things were before we went into the EU, i think our country will be safer out than in, i am pleased that we have left, and that David Cameron has resigned, i have never liked his premiership, and don't like him or his rich boys either!

i am disappointed with Jeremy Corbyn too, he has gone back on his word, i don't think he is a strong leader either for the Labour party!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs