United Kingdom

Christmas Number One - NHS Choir

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 28, 2015 @ 16:31:03
Hello everybody and belated Christmas greetings. We've had a lovely time in London with my family and although it's been a lot of fun seeing family and old friends (and getting out on the scene last night.. woo hoo..!!), we're travelling home tomorrow and will celebrate New Year with Amanda's family.

But hey.... how great is it that the Christmas Number One song in UK is a charity single by a bunch of doctors, nurses and staff at two South London hospitals...!!

The Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Choir recorded a mash up of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water", and Coldplay's "Fix You" and it was this year's official number one record in UK

Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Choir - BBC News

I guess that doesn't matter much to you lot, but I was born in Greenwich District Hospital, where some of the singers now work and grew up in the borough so I rather feel an affinity with it.

Many kudos to Justin Beiber who told his followers on Twitter that they should buy that single rather than his "Love Yourself". Whether it made a difference isn't clear but it was a generous gesture, made in the right spirit and well done to him for that.

Does the Christmas Number One matter any more..? Well, in recent years ours has been hijacked by the slimy Simon Cowell and his over-hyped talent (?) show "X-Factor" and many have lost interest in the whole business as a result. For ten years or so now the result has been a foregone conclusion and a lot of artists don't even bother recording a song for Christmas because of that.

What are your thoughts, out there in FS Land, on Christmas records..?

Whatever... I say "well done to the staff of Lewisham & Greenwich NHS". Top people..!!

They'll be back at work again, as usual, feet-on-ground and doing the wonderful work they do, but they've raised money for charity and have a Christmas Number One record to their names. Brilliant...!!

I hope you all had a merry and festive Christmas, and have a great New Year's Eve celebration planned. Have fun.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 29, 2015 @ 16:43:05
In the spirit if Xmas any money this song raises for the NHS will be reduced by the amount the government puts in!
If it is for charity then the amount is raises for it's chosen charities will see the amount paid out to others reduced by that amount.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 29, 2015 @ 19:42:51
You may very well be right in which case it is HM Government being mean which reflects in no way on either the altruistic act of the people who made the record or their motivation for doing so.

Actually, I'm somewhat dubious that you are right about that at all. Can you direct me to the reference that indicates that government policy is to abate the amount of taxpayers money allocated by the state by an amount equivalent to charitable donations received.

I have never heard of such a thing. Perhaps I should get out more, but if you can link to the page on the Government website that says this is government policy, well, I would have learned something.

Or are you just being mean spirited toward a group of good people who have done something decent..?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs