Forums: Relationships:
Family

In-Laws

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chachi On October 25, 2018

Sacramento,
#1New Post! Oct 26, 2015 @ 00:33:20
I’m curious, anybody out there have a problem with his or her in-laws or spouse’s family in general. I’ve been with my wife for over 18 years and I have never gotten along with most of her family. Most of them are very rude, disrespectful people. After over 18 years of us being together, her family has never taken the time to get to know me.

About a year ago, I got into an e-mail discussion with her family about gun control and they all pretty much jumped my case and I felt like I was being attacked on all sides. Then I gave her mother an idea I had about their annual Thanksgiving pie contest and she was very rude to me then I was mysteriously kicked out of the family Facebook group. Then there was a big disagreement with her brother and this extended to the rest of her family, which of course supported his position. After that, I decided to stop going to her family events.

I know many people who say, “They’re family so suck it up and go to their events.” However, when rude, disrespectful people surround you what’s the point? Why should I subject myself to hours of discomfort and anxiety? Am I to blame that after more than 18 years her family has never taken the time to get to know me and seized every opportunity to attack me?

What do I do?
busdriver On January 03, 2016

Banned

#2New Post! Oct 26, 2015 @ 00:54:36
@chachi Said

I’m curious, anybody out there have a problem with his or her in-laws or spouse’s family in general. I’ve been with my wife for over 18 years and I have never gotten along with most of her family. Most of them are very rude, disrespectful people. After over 18 years of us being together, her family has never taken the time to get to know me.

About a year ago, I got into an e-mail discussion with her family about gun control and they all pretty much jumped my case and I felt like I was being attacked on all sides. Then I gave her mother an idea I had about their annual Thanksgiving pie contest and she was very rude to me then I was mysteriously kicked out of the family Facebook group. Then there was a big disagreement with her brother and this extended to the rest of her family, which of course supported his position. After that, I decided to stop going to her family events.

I know many people who say, “They’re family so suck it up and go to their events.” However, when rude, disrespectful people surround you what’s the point? Why should I subject myself to hours of discomfort and anxiety? Am I to blame that after more than 18 years her family has never taken the time to get to know me and seized every opportunity to attack me?

What do I do?

Find a job in a neighboring state and move there. it has to be at least a ten-hour drive from your wife's family. Tell you lovely spouse that we can only visit her mother every other Christmas.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs