Does loosing your memory meen losing your life

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
tearsofmylife On May 06, 2009

No idea, i think i may be lost
#1New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 08:44:22
I vote yes
for the following reason

What makes you you is your memories! the way your raised, time spent with friends, Probles you've over come, problems you haven't, All the things you've been told.

So if you loose your memory, you loose evrything you've come to be, you would no longer remember who you are. and the consiousness that was you before you lost your memory would no longer exist, hence you are a completly new person

what do you guys think
ann On May 16, 2007

Deleted

london, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 08:49:39
Definately. It's sad to think...not being able to remember your love ones.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#3New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 08:53:26
Some days i wish i did lose my memory and start all over again.. some thingss are best left forgotern...
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 08:53:43
Good question.

With memory degeneration you tend to keep your personality traits for a long time although you have black spots, there is short term and long term memory loss. Example being a man can remember his wedding day but forgets his wifes name.

Complete memory loss is extremely rare. In those cases again the person keeps thier personality traits but has no recollection of events past.

There is also another condition caused by trauma to the brain. If you smack your head in a certain way the brain is pushed on to bony spikes in the frontal lobe of the skull.

This brain damage actually switches off emotion with memory loss. I saw a case where a man had a car accident, went into coma. He had this type of brain damage. When he got home he had absolutely no feelings for his wife or child. There was no way of ever recovering this. He literally never felt happy or sad.

I guess in some cases it is the end of thier life as they know it.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 08:58:28
I dropped my phone wants and all the memory wipped it self.. can you imagine your brain doing that!!
tearsofmylife On May 06, 2009

No idea, i think i may be lost
#7New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 13:07:31
@treebee Said
Good question.

With memory degeneration you tend to keep your personality traits for a long time although you have black spots, there is short term and long term memory loss. Example being a man can remember his wedding day but forgets his wifes name.

Complete memory loss is extremely rare. In those cases again the person keeps thier personality traits but has no recollection of events past.

There is also another condition caused by trauma to the brain. If you smack your head in a certain way the brain is pushed on to bony spikes in the frontal lobe of the skull.

This brain damage actually switches off emotion with memory loss. I saw a case where a man had a car accident, went into coma. He had this type of brain damage. When he got home he had absolutely no feelings for his wife or child. There was no way of ever recovering this. He literally never felt happy or sad.

I guess in some cases it is the end of thier life as they know it.

even if you keep you rpersonality traits, if you dont remember who you are, t he conciousness that IS you is dead.
Shug On March 17, 2011

Dewsbury/Leeds, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 13:09:56
Erm...

I forgot what I was going to say...
mike_s On March 08, 2007

Derby, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 13:10:47
If you completely lost your memory I dont thing that at a personal level it would be that bad because you wouldnt remember what your actually missing. I think that it would be worse for the friends and family.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 13:12:55
@mike_s Said
If you completely lost your memory I dont thing that at a personal level it would be that bad because you wouldnt remember what your actually missing. I think that it would be worse for the friends and family.

Absoultely right Mike, its so much harder for the relatives than the patient.
mike_s On March 08, 2007

Derby, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 08, 2006 @ 13:14:55
It must be terrible if your parents didnt remember you and you were close to them or anyone for that matter.
sondra557 On April 26, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#12New Post! Mar 09, 2006 @ 13:03:41
I agree totally with what treebee said. Although there are some cases where the memory loss does include large parts of the personality, but those are mostly driven by psychological factors (e.g., severe personal problems, psychological trauma, etc.). Most such cases get their memories back quickly. Sometimes though, they do start all over, move to a different country, get a new life and in fact new identity. In that case, I wouldn't go as far as saying that the person is a complete different one. There are usually hints in their previous life as to what was missing before or what they were looking for, so that maybe one could say they PREVIOUSLY weren't the person that they could be and are NOW.

I agree that memories of who you were and how you got where you are, ARE you. So if that's lost by brain damage or degeneration (Alzheimer etc.) The person is no longer the same.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs