Forums: Science:
Psychology

Older parents of the 20th century

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On about 16 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Aug 09, 2015 @ 19:49:02
One thing I've learned in my life is that until the 1970's parents that gave birth to their children at forty or over aren't the same as those who had them in their thirties. Being four decades old can remove the parents somewhat from their children, who grew up in a time when much was different.

Now, that doesn't matter because people forty years old grew up in a more rapidly changing time period. They caught the mobile phone as it was developing and other leaps in technology, but for the people sixty and seventy, who had children whenn they were forty, are somewhat behind, or if they're not they've had a lot of help.

I'd like to present myself as an example. My mother was 39 when I was born. She adapted to the times, but only up to a point. None of the advanced touch screen or digital devices were around in her time, so she relies a lot on me, moreso than a younger person would. Had she been born twenty years later, the changes would still be big for her, but, at the age of fifty, she'd have more time to adjust and not so much missing in her technical knowledge.

Had I been born in a more natural timeframe, I'd now be either forty eight or forty five. I might seem strange at times because I'm actually supposed to be older than I am. Being conscious of that might cause me to be a little cranky at times. I sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong time. My parents were a mismatch, as my father never wanted children and couldn't stop having affairs and getting into trouble with the local clergy.

I'm happy to say that now, though, latter mothers have it easier. I wish mine had, but when I came, her best years were behind her and at times, modern ideology and development doesn't come easy to her. I hope not too many people have gone through this in their lives. It's come as a awkward reality to me, but I will bear it.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#2New Post! Aug 11, 2015 @ 12:40:14
@Conflict Said
I wish mine had, but when I came, her best years were behind her

I'm guessing that her best years were behind her mostly because of having to deal with you.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 11, 2015 @ 13:13:45
@boxer Said

I'm guessing that her best years were behind her mostly because of having to deal with you.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs