Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Children Learn What They Live

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! May 24, 2015 @ 00:42:00

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! May 24, 2015 @ 01:25:55

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! May 24, 2015 @ 04:05:26
@NNewt84 Said

You know, that's actually a very good point, and very inspiring. In fact, if I ever have kids, I'm going to raise them to be decent folks. You know, teach them not to be prejudiced, and to be kind and respectful to others, that sort of thing. It sucks that our society is full of hate, but at least I'll try not to be part of the problem.

You can't teach a child not to be something . Kids are smart and they don't miss much that goes on around them ,most important , they learn by example .
My grand mother had this ( not the pic) on the wall going into the kitchen from the front room
NNewt84 On July 19, 2018

Adelaide, Australia
#5New Post! May 27, 2015 @ 10:23:06
@white_swan53 Said

You can't teach a child not to be something . Kids are smart and they don't miss much that goes on around them ,most important , they learn by example .
My grand mother had this ( not the pic) on the wall going into the kitchen from the front room

Fair enough, I guess.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#6New Post! May 27, 2015 @ 14:17:48
@white_swan53 Said

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Copyright © 1972 by Dorothy Law Nolte

WOuld Dorothy like it, if someone made a poster telling her how to raise her children, assuming she had any?

Or are childrens not the parents responsibility anymore, when I have children do I have to ask Dorothy how to raise them? Should I hand them over to her to raise as her own?

Banned

#7New Post! May 27, 2015 @ 14:19:26
Surely it would be better to teach consequences of certain actions. But again that is only something I can choose to do. If I were to ram that view down other peoples throats than surely I am just a hypocrit.

#8New Post! May 27, 2015 @ 14:27:30
@Hypnotica Said

WOuld Dorothy like it, if someone made a poster telling her how to raise her children, assuming she had any?

Or are childrens not the parents responsibility anymore, when I have children do I have to ask Dorothy how to raise them? Should I hand them over to her to raise as her own?

It might be a good idea to prevent parents from abusing their children.

Legislators who make the rules (laws) are the ones who decide what is and what is not abuse. Police enforce the rules (maybe not always fairly). And the course ultimately decide if a law has been broken.

In cases of abuse the accusation and arrest are pretty much considered proof of guilt. A trial is only a formality before the lynching.

Banned

#9New Post! May 27, 2015 @ 14:31:36
@Erimitus Said

It might be a good idea to prevent parents from abusing their children.

Legislators who make the rules (laws) are the ones who decide what is and what is not abuse. Police enforce the rules (maybe not always fairly). And the course ultimately decide if a law has been broken.

In cases of abuse the accusation and arrest are pretty much considered proof of guilt. A trial is only a formality before the lynching.

Im sure good ole Dorothy wasnt just talking about child abuse.

Anyway I have a quote of my own. I like to apply this to my own life:

Quote:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

And even if ole Dot was speaking about Child Abuse, is she Police? Is it her kids? Is she Child Support? Is she Social Services? Is she a teacher, doctor or shrink who has an obligation?

I dont know much about Poka Dot Woman, and quite frankly I couldnt care less. But if she were to try and ram her views down my throat, I would retaliate.

Stupid nosey cow.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! May 28, 2015 @ 02:27:59
@Hypnotica Said

Surely it would be better to teach consequences of certain actions. But again that is only something I can choose to do. If I were to ram that view down other peoples throats than surely I am just a hypocrit.

@Hypnotica Said

Im sure good ole Dorothy wasnt just talking about child abuse.

Anyway I have a quote of my own. I like to apply this to my own life:

And even if ole Dot was speaking about Child Abuse, is she Police? Is it her kids? Is she Child Support? Is she Social Services? Is she a teacher, doctor or shrink who has an obligation?

I dont know much about Poka Dot Woman, and quite frankly I couldnt care less. But if she were to try and ram her views down my throat, I would retaliate.

Stupid nosey cow.

It is obvious that you are offended by this poem .
It wasn't my intention to offend anyone when I posted it.
I don't personally know anything about Dorothy Law Nolte . I do know I like this poem and agree with the message that it conveys.
I found the pic of the baby with the text shown online , I liked it and it's message . I then went in search of the poem .
It was my idea to post them together here on TFS.

#12New Post! May 28, 2015 @ 06:15:33

Erimitus: Life would be really boring if everyone agreed. Lets see if we can keep our lives from getting to boring.

Stupid Nosey Cow: If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

Hypnotica: Personally I enjoy criticism more than any other feedback. Without criticism there can be no personal growth. This is just the sort of sh*t that mundane people and mediocre idiots spout, so they can hide from the truth and don't want to accept the fact that need to apply themselves. Its a bit like burying your head in the sand. I'm fine the way I am, its everyone else's fault that I'm useless, blah, blah, blah, cry me a river.

Erimitus:

In general the term criticize has a negative connotation.

HOWVER..

...I agree with you, in that, as adults, our critics may actually be our most benevolent benefactors.

ANYWAY...

...if I understand you correctly, you are referring to positive, constructive criticism. And I agree that positive, constructive criticism increases the potential for a desirable result.

Mundane people and mediocre idiots

There are some mundane people and mediocre idiots, such as myself, who believe in non-interference. We believe that the children should be allowed to find the answers for themselves ...and then allowed to determine, for themselves, whether their answers are correct or not. This encourages the children to think critically (i.e., use good judgment).

If a mundane and mediocre idiot has enough time and is willing to devote that time to a child, I would say that, unless the child is in danger, and, of course, unless the child asks for help, non-interference is the best approach.

And ...and (of course) before volunteering help (i.e., interfering) always ask the child if they what help.

If the mundane and mediocre idiot does not have the time or is not inclined to devote time; then telling the children that they are wrong and showing them what is correct would be the next best approach.

Criticizing (in this context criticism as is condemn, means the child is always wrong no matter what it does) and this kind of negative criticism accompanied with not offering help it is needed and asked for, I believe, will increase the potential for a negative outcome.

Not criticizing or instructing at all, I believe, would be a form of child abuse called negligence.

Erimitus:

What a word means, in most cases, depends on the context the in which the word is used.

In the context that Dorothy 'The Stupid Nosey Cow' uses the term; the word criticize is opposed to the word condemn. To condemn is to show complete disapproval (i.e., no matter what has been done it was done wrong). I understand this kind of criticism to be destructive, negative criticism. And people who have been conditioned to behave in this way, it seems to me, tend to be negative absolutists who are always finding fault but never contributing anything positive.

Those that can do, do; those who cannot do, criticize those who do, do. And yes, I know I said doo doo. (i.e., the sort of doo doo that mundane people and mediocre idiots spout) Really, if a person is going to spout excrement they should do it in private.

SO...

...if I am correct, there is a difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism and The Stupid Nosey Cow is referring to destructive criticism.

Score:

Hypnotica: one point (you are not incorrect the way you use the term)

Stupid Nosey Cow: one point (She is not incorrect the way she uses the term)

Banned

#13New Post! May 28, 2015 @ 07:41:13
@white_swan53 Said

It is obvious that you are offended by this poem .
It wasn't my intention to offend anyone when I posted it.
I don't personally know anything about Dorothy Law Nolte . I do know I like this poem and agree with the message that it conveys.
I found the pic of the baby with the text shown online , I liked it and it's message . I then went in search of the poem .
It was my idea to post them together here on TFS.

I would like to compare her to a Jehovah's Witness but I have never seen a JW poster telling me how to raise a kid. Nor have they ever bought up that topic when they knock on my door.

So I will file her away below JWs which for me is a low place to put someone. Lower than hitler but higher than feminists.

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! May 28, 2015 @ 11:13:56
@Hypnotica Said

I would like to compare her to a Jehovah's Witness but I have never seen a JW poster telling me how to raise a kid. Nor have they ever bought up that topic when they knock on my door.

So I will file her away below JWs which for me is a low place to put someone. Lower than hitler but higher than feminists.

Okay.

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! May 29, 2015 @ 16:54:30
I agree with the message that the poem sends to people.
If kids grow up listeningto their parentswhine and fuss point fingers of blame at everyone else when things dont go their way then . Then that is what a kid learns is the way to handle what life brings .
If a kid grows up listening to his parents always critizeinghimand others then that is what he learns is the way to handle life as an adult .
So on so forth ,, It is justplainole common sense when you think about it.
Children learn what they live.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs