Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#46New Post! Nov 11, 2014 @ 15:37:18
@crazylikeafox Said

Remove personhood amendments? Fine. Mission already accomplished.

Great. Now the other states with Republican platforms on personhood?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#47New Post! Nov 11, 2014 @ 22:56:45
hmmmm

Don't mind me. just fixing a stuck thread.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#48New Post! Nov 11, 2014 @ 22:58:57
AMERIKANISTAN!!!!
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#49New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 00:17:13
@shinobinoz Said

Great. Now the other states with Republican platforms on personhood?

Don't live in them, so have no say. Back to the actual things we were talking about, I looked it up today, and according to exit polls Gardner won 50% of the Hispanic vote. Clearly the Hispanic vote isn't as strong a Democratic fortress as Democrats think. At least, not here in Colorado. No doubt Republicans will be looking into that to see what Gardner did right. No doubt Democrats will be looking into it to see what Udall did wrong. Regardless, it proves the Hispanic vote is still winnable for Republicans.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#50New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 00:53:06
@crazylikeafox Said

Don't live in them, so have no say. Back to the actual things we were talking about, I looked it up today, and according to exit polls Gardner won 50% of the Hispanic vote. Clearly the Hispanic vote isn't as strong a Democratic fortress as Democrats think. At least, not here in Colorado. No doubt Republicans will be looking into that to see what Gardner did right. No doubt Democrats will be looking into it to see what Udall did wrong. Regardless, it proves the Hispanic vote is still winnable for Republicans.

Perhaps. Over all they voted 2 to 1 for the dems. Gardner ran away from the immigration issue so who's to say.

McKinney, Texas
#51New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 00:58:47
@shinobinoz Said

Perhaps. Over all they voted 2 to 1 for the dems. Gardner ran away from the immigration issue so who's to say.

Which may in fact be the key. If immigration is the only reason Democrats are holding onto Hispanics, then make immigration a non-issue. He also campaigned in Hispanic communities and the Republican Party sent 2 fluent Spanish speakers to Colorado, from what I've read. So it could just be that Gardner looked more friendly, regardless of his stance on immigration, so who knows? There's a lot of variables that have to be sifted through, and that's not an easy thing to do when you're talking about people.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#52New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 01:12:53
The Hispanic population in the southwest states is also split on the immigration issues. Not all Hispanics are the same, nor are they all from Mexico. I think that is part of what keeps NM and Colorado purple.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#53New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 01:14:43
Both true enough

McKinney, Texas
#54New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 09:27:28
@DiscordTiger Said

The Hispanic population in the southwest states is also split on the immigration issues. Not all Hispanics are the same, nor are they all from Mexico. I think that is part of what keeps NM and Colorado purple.

Indeed. It's a rough guess, but I'd say about half the Hispanics I've met were Mexican. It's the country with the most immigrants, but hardly the only one. And I think you're right, they are partly why we're purple states.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#55New Post! Nov 12, 2014 @ 10:17:49
@crazylikeafox Said

Indeed. It's a rough guess, but I'd say about half the Hispanics I've met were Mexican. It's the country with the most immigrants, but hardly the only one. And I think you're right, they are partly why we're purple states.

Yeah, we have northern New Mexico, where there are a lot of Hispanics, but it is old families from the settlement of New Spain. So I guess technically NM was a territory of Mexico after independence for like 25yrs, many don't self-identify as Mexican. But as New Mexican. The southern part of the state is more of a mix of the Mexican and New Mexican. Not that immigrants don't settle in the north, the north is just more isolated, from everything really. Hispanics here still tend to be very Catholic, maybe not practicing but at least familiar in being raised that way.

Sometimes I think southern Colorado is a lot like northern New Mexico. Colorado also has a mix of the rural and the urban areas. That matters a lot more than race too. And Hispanic/Latino is such a mix that even in statistics it is hard to pin down, it's all about how people self-identify culture or based of their last name. It is not the same sense of "otherness" that create ethnic racial issues in the rest of the county. Not saying otherness/race are not issues, just that they are different and harder to get a picture of statistically. Both parties have appealing issues so it becomes a matter of each voter deciding what is more important. And why we have deal with tons and tons of negative ads on why the other guy sucks more.

Our green chile is still better, though!

McKinney, Texas
#56New Post! Nov 20, 2014 @ 08:57:34
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah, we have northern New Mexico, where there are a lot of Hispanics, but it is old families from the settlement of New Spain. So I guess technically NM was a territory of Mexico after independence for like 25yrs, many don't self-identify as Mexican. But as New Mexican. The southern part of the state is more of a mix of the Mexican and New Mexican. Not that immigrants don't settle in the north, the north is just more isolated, from everything really. Hispanics here still tend to be very Catholic, maybe not practicing but at least familiar in being raised that way.

Sometimes I think southern Colorado is a lot like northern New Mexico. Colorado also has a mix of the rural and the urban areas. That matters a lot more than race too. And Hispanic/Latino is such a mix that even in statistics it is hard to pin down, it's all about how people self-identify culture or based of their last name. It is not the same sense of "otherness" that create ethnic racial issues in the rest of the county. Not saying otherness/race are not issues, just that they are different and harder to get a picture of statistically. Both parties have appealing issues so it becomes a matter of each voter deciding what is more important. And why we have deal with tons and tons of negative ads on why the other guy sucks more.

Our green chile is still better, though!

Never underestimate the power of rural vs urban. At times it's been THE factor in which party someone identified with. It still plays a factor, we just don't think of it. And I'm not telling my friend about your green chili comment. He's very proud of his chili.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs