Forums: Homes & Real Estate:
Plants & Gardening

Qualified Arborist and Landscaper here

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Dredd On August 16, 2015

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:24:10
So if anyone needs any advice I could be able to point you in the right area to find it, just post below.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#2New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:27:48
ohhh my gosh, come to our neighborhood!
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#3New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:28:24
How long does it take for a pruned tree
to grow new fruit (apples)?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:29:57
Just going there/here with you.

What's the best time to prune - fall/winter or early spring?
And why? Which will be less invasive or whatever, and allow
quicker regrowth (of the fruit tree, for instance)?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#5New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:32:49
Looked at many online resources for proper
pruning of Japanese maples. None make sense.
Well, they do when looking at them - but then,
later they don't -- when doing it.

Think we're gonna pay to have someone do all
this - but not till fall --- or spring (depending on which is better).
I heard/observed that pruning in the early spring is better.
Dredd On August 16, 2015

#6New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 22:52:53
It depends when they flower, generally when a plant flowers in the spring it is best to prune it immediately after, if it flowers in the fall it is best to prune it in the spring, BUT in this case as it is an acer and they are prone to bleed sap it would be best to do it in the winter, unless you are pruning to make good some sort of disease, damage or dangerous growths, when it should be done as soon as possible.

I agree t is best to get in a professional, it is a risky operation if you have to go into the canopy, be warned price will reflect this, if you have you cannot do the work while standing on the ground. I would not like to think of you trying to do the work with a walmart bought chainsaw and a set of step ladders as far too many people have been injured doing just this.
Dredd On August 16, 2015

#7New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 23:05:46
@DuLu Said

How long does it take for a pruned tree
to grow new fruit (apples)?

Depends on the amount and size of what was pruned. Sorry I cant be more specific on that one.

@DuLu Said

What's the best time to prune - fall/winter or early spring?
And why? Which will be less invasive or whatever, and allow
quicker regrowth (of the fruit tree, for instance)?

Again it depends when the tree flowers and also what the purpose of the pruning is.

Small shoots and branches(upto a pencils thickness) growing inward can be removed with little effect on the harvest or the trees growth, bigger material is best when the tree is dormant, again depending when it flowers, but if you prune in late fall or winter there is the risk that the tree will suffer from frost damage on buds which can have an adverse affect on the following harvest and the trees life.

If the tree flowers from the last seasons growth then removing this growth will remove any places the tree s likely to flower from, if it flowers from new growth then that s not the issue, but if you need to remove anything do it after it has flowered as the tree will be able to seal ts cuts before the harshest frosts of the winter arrive.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 05:03:11
Hey, that all makes sense!! Danke!!

@Dredd Said

Depends on the amount and size of what was pruned. Sorry I cant be more specific on that one.

Again it depends when the tree flowers and also what the purpose of the pruning is.

Small shoots and branches(upto a pencils thickness) growing inward can be removed with little effect on the harvest or the trees growth, bigger material is best when the tree is dormant, again depending when it flowers, but if you prune in late fall or winter there is the risk that the tree will suffer from frost damage on buds which can have an adverse affect on the following harvest and the trees life.

If the tree flowers from the last seasons growth then removing this growth will remove any places the tree s likely to flower from, if it flowers from new growth then that s not the issue, but if you need to remove anything do it after it has flowered as the tree will be able to seal ts cuts before the harshest frosts of the winter arrive.
Dredd On August 16, 2015

#9New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 07:59:20
@DuLu Said

Hey, that all makes sense!! Danke!!

No problem.hope it helped.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Jul 27, 2014 @ 17:38:17
Bugs and pruning:
I have a verbena bush that was just decimated (again) by, I'll assume the same thing as last time - a little green catipillar-type thing.

Most of the leaves are little more than the thicker veins.
From the last time, I know this will just linger on as is until the leaves fall off ... maybe next spring.

Should I cut it back, or strip the leaves, or do something to get it to grow fresh leaves before winter?

And what the hell are those little buggers - is there another part of the lifecycle I should fight?

I use Sevin dust once it is done flowering every few weeks(I don't want to kill the pollinators) - but due to weather and whatnot, I didn't hit it for almost a month.
Dredd On August 16, 2015

#11New Post! Jul 27, 2014 @ 19:57:51
As you have found out, the caterpillar is a right pain. Depending on your area there is probably a predator or a naturally occurring microbe that would get rid of the caterpillar, you may be able to attract these to your garden, and as long as they do not do more damage would be the best solution as it is natural and self governing.

Failing that, the next best option would be to find out if there is a plant that the Moth or caterpillar particularly avoid, and plant them around the verbena.

If they dont work, then look at chemicals, but personally I try to avoid them if at all possible.

Without knowing which of the verbenas you have I cant really go into specifics, but generally prune after it has flowered if it can wait that long, but if it looks like the leaf stalk or branch is dying, prune it then and there.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! Jul 27, 2014 @ 20:46:30
Upon closer inspection this afternoon, I found a number of small brown beatle-like bugs. About the size of a fat grain of rice.
not a stink-bug or Japanese beetle ... looking for image

I agree - prefer natural predator over chemicals. I've begun to think about "importing" praying mantises.
Dredd On August 16, 2015

#13New Post! Jul 27, 2014 @ 21:03:48
Tempting though it may be, I wouldnt quite go that far, there is probably a local garden supplies that can tell you about any local bugs or micro predators that would help.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs