Astronomy

Telescope

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 08:27:50
I am going to buy my dad a telescope for Christmas but I have no knowledge of them so don't know what I should look for. I have a limited budget- must be under £100. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to look for?
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#2New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 08:30:56
Makle sure you ask for a left handed model. they are better than right handed telescopes.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 10:08:17
@Hypnotica Said

Makle sure you ask for a left handed model. they are better than right handed telescopes.

Already sorted that- along with the tartan paint, glass hammer and spirit level bubbles
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#4New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 10:09:05
@Sparklegirl Said

Already sorted that- along with the tartan paint, glass hammer and spirit level bubbles

Good good. Did you get a bag of spare sparks for the angle grinder?
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 10:11:27
@Hypnotica Said

Good good. Did you get a bag of spare sparks for the angle grinder?

Natrually- I am always prepared! Long wait is on order though.....
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 12:26:49
@Sparklegirl Said

I am going to buy my dad a telescope for Christmas but I have no knowledge of them so don't know what I should look for. I have a limited budget- must be under £100. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what to look for?

Is he a seasoned astronomer? or is it something where he will be just starting out with it?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#7New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 13:58:43
@Sparklegirl Said

Look for a job, and then, look for the stars!
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 09, 2014 @ 20:17:00
@Elite_Dragon Said

Is he a seasoned astronomer? or is it something where he will be just starting out with it?

He has never had one before so will be a novice- something he has always wanted but at 75, he is not the most technical (he still can not text let alone turn a computer on!)
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 10, 2014 @ 17:47:42
@Sparklegirl Said

He has never had one before so will be a novice- something he has always wanted but at 75, he is not the most technical (he still can not text let alone turn a computer on!)

I would suggest getting one with gps and one that finds the main things to look at for him
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 11, 2014 @ 19:55:22
@Elite_Dragon Said

I would suggest getting one with gps and one that finds the main things to look at for him

Thank you, I will have a look for him now I have a bit more of an idea
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#11New Post! Jul 11, 2014 @ 19:58:00
when in college we had a telescope pointed at the ladies dorms. ...got a lot of nice moon shots too.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! Jul 14, 2014 @ 19:19:15
@Sparklegirl Said

A number of years back I got my first telescope as a novice, as a gift. Then I started reading up on it, and there were numerous suggestions to start out with a good pair of binoculars.

I took that advice and continue to recommend it. You get a better feel and familiarity with the night sky. Then you start to get an idea of what you want to look for.

I've enjoyed many starry nights since, with just binoc's, a star map and a red light.

A pinprick of light to the naked eye is often just a brighter pinprick of light through a telescope.

I use skymaps.com all the time.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 16, 2014 @ 17:20:04
@mrmhead Said

A number of years back I got my first telescope as a novice, as a gift. Then I started reading up on it, and there were numerous suggestions to start out with a good pair of binoculars.

I took that advice and continue to recommend it. You get a better feel and familiarity with the night sky. Then you start to get an idea of what you want to look for.

I've enjoyed many starry nights since, with just binoc's, a star map and a red light.

A pinprick of light to the naked eye is often just a brighter pinprick of light through a telescope.

I use skymaps.com all the time.

Thanks for that. He has got binoculars and has a few books he reads he has just never had a telescope before. We were at an event where there was one for sale and when he went back for it he was so disappointed that it had been sold so he will love it even if he uses it less than he expects it will be worth it to get him something he has always wanted
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs