Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Stupid generation??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
beautifuldisaster On February 22, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 12:26:11
Ok so I know it's a really bad topic heading but it's what I over heard the other day....Anyhow my point is....kids these days are not as intelligent as they used to be in several areas particularly maths that I have noticed anyways. Now I'm not saying it's their fault but all of the average grades are down at least in Australia and I just can't see what the deal is.

My 11 year old brother can't even add up in his head and it took him 5 minutes to do 5*9 the other day which REALLY concerned me. I can't help him because I hardly ever get to see him but where are these problems actually coming from?? I know that the standard of teaching in such areas has decreased in it's effectiveness. My brother doesn't even do times tables at school anymore!! So maybe it is the educations systems fault.

BUT then there is the arguments of parents I know for a fact that there are parents out there who couldn't care less and refuse to help their children with homework and such... As far as I know many of thses students do take the intiative to learn and in alot of cases end up getting up to speed. Alot of the focus is on these types of parents but I think more focus should be put on the parents that help TOO much! Some parents just tell the kids the answer and never try to make them figure it out themselves. My little brother asked me what the answer to a comprehension question the other day and the answer was rght in front of him when I refused to tell him he said mum will tell me the answers and went and asked her.

I don't even know what the point of this post is I guess I'm just annoyed that it's happening and could be prevented but I'll shut up now it probably doesn't even make much sense. I've been home alone all day and had no one to talk to so I need to talk to someone (even if it is indirectly) or I'm gonna go mad...Ok im really goin now!
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 12:39:46
It's called the deliberate dumbing down of youth. Our elites want to control society and educated people don't put up with that. Ignorance is Bliss!

Yet again the baby boomers take and take and take then leave the ruins for all those after them to repair. They also blame those after them as well.

What the baby boomer generation hate, is that the younger generation is going to tear apart the bulls*** society created by the baby boomers.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:02:58
I'd like to see some actual evidence that "kids these days" are simply "dumber" than your generation was.

I think it's natural for any generation to bemoan the lack of intelligence in the coming generation. "Kids these days" and "this country is going straight to hell" syndrome.
beautifuldisaster On February 22, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#4New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:04:48
well as soon as I think of what the test is called I'll google it and you show you the results....
sean_de_foot_longe On May 02, 2016

I'm behind you!!, United Kingd
#5New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:05:48
Its been proved that kids todat arent as intelectual as say 5o years ago, but the are smarter in other areas
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#6New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:05:53
@jonnythan Said
I'd like to see some actual evidence that "kids these days" are simply "dumber" than your generation was.

She's younger than you
papaumau On May 28, 2006

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:21:06
I just don't believe it !

The kids are just as smart as they always were, they are maybe just not as well educated at times.

As "intelligence" per-se is not something we learn, we must be born with the level of IQ that we use as we develop. Some of us have drive and some of us don't and it is the ones with intrinsic drive that will make the most out of their inherent intelligence.

When I left school, ( or should I say was expelled from school ), I had a very low level of education and no qualifications at all. Since then I have managed to excel in two trades and one profession and I am now retired early with a very fulfilled life behind me and still some wonder in front of me.

As I say in my profile: "Nil desperandum, bastardium, caborundum"...( Latin 8) ) Translated to mean...Don't despair and don't let the bastards grind you down !
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#8New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:25:35
Hey papa, give it to em!
papaumau On May 28, 2006

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:28:41
Yo Cobber....

Always have and always will....."Give it to em" I mean !
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#10New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:30:05
Yeah I know...that boot of yours looks scary
Vinni88 On May 30, 2011
random jammy dodger

Gillingham, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 13:51:03
im living proof that kids are getting dummer
svierge On January 24, 2011

minneapolis, Minnesota
#12New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 14:04:36
Nah, kids aren't getting dumber. Kids are a lot brighter than the experts give them credit for. Oops, ended the sentence with a preposition just now, how bright is that, huh??

If kids are so dumb, why do I have to have a KID help me whenever I have serious computer issues? Erik, John, come look at what this thing's doing now, wouldja??

Can't f***ing figure out how to hook up the DVD, the satellite, the television and the home theater system?? If I wasn't so damned retarded and lazy I'd do it myself, but I call one of my kids have them do it in 5 minutes.

My kids are pretty smart. I think input equals output. If you throw your kids in front of the television by the time they're walking and they never see the printed word in your house before they go off to kindergarten, yep, your kid's going to have academic problems. Never talk to your kid, never take him anywhere, discuss anything, never ask him questions, never answer his questions, then don't lament that he's not up to speed in school.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#13New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 14:06:29
I raise my kids so they can speak their mind. Now all they do is nag and push me around.
kinglegend On May 06, 2007

Brisbane, Australia
#14New Post! Mar 06, 2006 @ 16:36:40
@cobber Said
I raise my kids so they can speak their mind. Now all they do is nag and push me around.

I have that proble with my brother
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs