The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

Which type of book sells better - Hardback, Paperback, or EBook?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
RapierMedia On July 12, 2016

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 26, 2014 @ 17:33:24
I just thought I'd ask that considering the current economy, when people want to purchase their favourite book, which format sells the best?

Is it a Hardback book, because they are durable and long lasting?

Is it a Paperback book, because it's cheaper to produce and costs less than Hardback?

Or is it an EBook, because of the sales of Kindles and various E-Readers and the fact that you don't have a clutter of printed books going to waste?

Could someone help me out here please? I'm looking for the best publication method for my novel.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#2New Post! May 26, 2014 @ 17:47:34
I'm an avid book reader and when I was younger we didn't really purchase too many books since our house would be overrun by now. But we used the local library and used paperback and hardback books.

If we did purchase books I would pick up whatever format they had, but if the paperback was available I would get it because not only was it cheaper, but with a hardcover it gets annoying with the jacket they put around them. I would most likely rip and/or toss the jacket since it's so annoying.

But like you mentioned, this day and age I believe we have strayed away from physical books. Yes, there are people that still go out to buy books. I believe it's more older generation that will do this since they've grown up on buying books, sometimes you get nostalgic and just want to hold something, and their somewhat resistance to new technology. I even buy physical books from time to time just to have something to hold on to and the book smell. I'm not saying all older generations wouldn't try new technology and ebooks, but I think they would be more resistant and have a harder time, in my opinion. Also, from the library angle, since the economy is still recovering people may just want to go to the library and pick up your book instead of paying for it in the store or online.

I would think, if you are going to publish a book, I would do it in the Ebook format. So many people are buying ebooks because it's easier to keep track of (on your devices), most of the time they're cheaper (some still are $10+), and I believe it's easier to peruse books and get more information about them in the e-format and research online rather than trying to read the back of the books in a store and hoping it's a good book. They actually have reviews that really help people decide if they may like the book.

So, since I read so much, I would think you may want to release your book online at first. Get a feel on what people think about it, etc. Then if it gets popular you could release paperback books that can be purchased by libraries also.

Hope this was helpful.
Commander4th On May 31, 2021

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 26, 2014 @ 18:49:25
I would guess EBook nowadays but its just a guess, personally I don't think I would like to read an entire book off a screen not only that but I would feel like I didn't actually have anything, I like to have a book in my hands, its mine, if I buy a book I prefer Hardback.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#4New Post! May 27, 2014 @ 00:22:54
I buy all three. I do prefer to get all my Stephen King books in Hard cover. I also get his as Ebooks as well.

I still love the feel of having an actual book in my hands, and flipping through the pages. For me, nothing beats it.

I like to have my Ebook with me when I travel, either a long trips(days, weeks) or just on a short road trip. I like having a Ebook, since I can have 10 books with me, but it takes up no more room then a journal.
Mobile On September 17, 2014

Deleted

#5New Post! May 28, 2014 @ 20:00:20
I spend hours in front of my PC, and I have my smart phone all day long with me, and I have numerous ebooks uploaded to my cloud account. So I can pick up my phone any time and start reading, but I don't. I don't why.

Maybe it's because I mostly prefer reading online articles to books/ebooks since I believe book writers keep it darn too long to get to the point. But the real thing is the real thing; I am better at remembering things that I read on books and keep forgetting things that I read online. If I could afford it, I would certainly print out every single online article and then read.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#6New Post! May 28, 2014 @ 20:03:54
I wanna say it's between Hardback and eBooks.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! May 28, 2014 @ 20:10:41
I prefer paperback books myself. I don't like hardcovers partly because of the flappy paper cover and partly because it's just too awkward.

I don't mind ebooks but I don't always find them very affordable.

It would be fair to note that I am super cheap.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs