Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Trichotillomania

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
screamingalpha On February 06, 2010

Coronado, California
#1New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 03:33:33
Anyone know of this? Anyone know someone who may have this? Anyone have this or think they may have this themselves?

I'm just trying to relate to people really. I have it and it tends to frustrate me as time passes. Sometimes, I don't even notice what I'm doing until someone talks to me about it.
matterdaddy84 On October 12, 2009

bowling green, Kentucky
#2New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 03:45:10
@screamingalpha Said
Anyone know of this? Anyone know someone who may have this? Anyone have this or think they may have this themselves?

I'm just trying to relate to people really. I have it and it tends to frustrate me as time passes. Sometimes, I don't even notice what I'm doing until someone talks to me about it.

What is it?
screamingalpha On February 06, 2010

Coronado, California
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 03:49:09
What it basically is, is a disorder where you consiously/unconsiously pull hairs from your body. It is linked to depression and OCD.
matterdaddy84 On October 12, 2009

bowling green, Kentucky
#4New Post! Jan 14, 2008 @ 03:49:52
@screamingalpha Said
What it basically is, is a disorder where you consiously/unconsiously pull hairs from your body. It is linked to depression and OCD.

Definately don't have that.
breathe2live On May 16, 2008

point lookout,
#5New Post! May 14, 2008 @ 21:44:43
I new somebody who had this. they went to therpy and they got a lot better. After about a year and some hard work they were finally able to get over it.
quesadilla On July 29, 2009

Newport, Pennsylvania
#6New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 14:19:44
I have it!!! I'm a Trichster.

I've been pulling for about ten years now. It really does help when you find someone else that has it. I've been going to a website with forums for people that have it. It's been a load of help and because of it, I'm almost two weeks pull free!

For those who may read this and don't know what it is, or think you know someone who has it, it's an impulse control disorder. It's not something that we "like" to do. We can't help it. Sometimes, I don't realize that I'm doing it until it's too late. I know for me, stress is a huge trigger and it's almost like a stress relief. If you want to learn more about it, go to (i hope this site allows links..if not sorry lol) trichotillomania.co.uk
Breena On February 01, 2017

, California
#7New Post! Mar 08, 2014 @ 18:22:45
I also had trichotillomania for 10 years, but now in rehabilitation for a 30 day challenge to discipline myself from the hair pulling. I'm getting better every week if I don't allowing the impulses to trick me back into pulling again. Check out - How to Stop Trichotillomania
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#8New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:34:36
I have it, in a minor form. I don't pull hair from head, but I have pulled from my eyebrows. I have quite a few OCD/anxiety spectrum disorders.

I find that diet and daily exercise help a LOT. Mine has almost completely disappeared. I started eating a diet rich in omega 3 fatty acids and stayed away from stimulants like caffeine. Cutting out simple carbs and refined sugar also helped. Reducing/managing stress has been another big one for me.

This type of diet change is recommended for people with ADD, and any spectrum hyperactivity or anxiety disorder. I am a high strung person, so it has definitely helped me!
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#9New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:41:49
I have dermatillomania as a result of some pretty severe OCD. Its pretty embarrassing to be pulling out small scabs from my hair in public, especially in school. It helps me to wear gloves (both for the dermatillomania and the fact that I wash my hands way too much and they hurt)
Once I realize that I can't pick at myself, I remember that I'm trying to stop, so they help a lot.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 27, 2014 @ 14:22:13
I have it in terms of pulling at my nails. I never notice I'm doing it until my boyfriend tells me to stop. It usually happens when I'm feeling particularly stressed about something.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs