Forums: Technology & Internet:
Software

A tribute to Microsoft Narrator

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On March 25, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Sep 02, 2013 @ 19:19:48
I would like to thank the developers at Microsoft for creating the Narrator. At this time I am suffering a kind of neurological disorder that prevents me from reading in silence. I cannot concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time on what I read and then I get stuck and am unable to continue. I have to read aloud to be able to follow the text I am looking at for an extended period of time.

I am now reading the Pure by White Wolf, a fine publication that I managed to read 24 pages of before I faltered. I thought of giving up, but then the read aloud feature of Adobe Reader XI revitalized my interest. Since Saturday I have been using it to narrate the text orally to me and have finished Chapter One.

I wish to thank the woman who voiced Microsoft Mary. Without her, I would never have read as much of the Pure as I have in the last few days. She gave me a reason to want to listen to what the book contained and it is very likely that she will until I move back to England and build a new life for myself. One day I will be able to read on my own again, but for now, Mary will be a fine reader and I will use her to assist my reading of at least a few good ebooks.

Microsoft, I salute you.
DragonSlayer On September 04, 2013

Miller Place, New York
#2New Post! Sep 04, 2013 @ 03:38:55
Though the world just doesn't want to admit it, Microsoft makes really good products. The consumer is too wrapped up in how the UI looks (and Mac with out question looks better), then how the OS, in the end, works.
Windows 7 has so much more options for accessibility; But hey, Apple looks a little better.
Windows 7 has many awesome options for customization for alteration of themes, and looks; Yeah, but Mac has one look, and it looks better then default Win7.
Windows 7 is, arguably, a pretty good OS; Yeah but Win8 is stupid...

But, anyway, kudos to you for your triumph, and keep pushing for the day when you can read on your own! Keep using computers that help you with your condition, and enjoy them!

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#3New Post! Sep 04, 2013 @ 13:49:34
@DragonSlayer Said

Though the world just doesn't want to admit it, Microsoft makes really good products. The consumer is too wrapped up in how the UI looks (and Mac with out question looks better), then how the OS, in the end, works.
Windows 7 has so much more options for accessibility; But hey, Apple looks a little better.
Windows 7 has many awesome options for customization for alteration of themes, and looks; Yeah, but Mac has one look, and it looks better then default Win7.
Windows 7 is, arguably, a pretty good OS; Yeah but Win8 is stupid...

But, anyway, kudos to you for your triumph, and keep pushing for the day when you can read on your own! Keep using computers that help you with your condition, and enjoy them!

Thank you very much for your kind words. I intend to do as you suggest. By the way, please excuse the misnomer I gave. It is Microsoft Zira, not Mary. One other thing I suffer from is a failure to check what I write or think about it clearly. This is another disorder I suffer from and have been suffering from since 2009. It's a lot better now, but there was a time when I used to spout out many outrageous things, hassle people over the internet and make overt demands for others to shine in their own light.

By the way beware Microsoft Adobe Reader's read aloud. In the Pure PDF, the read aloud function sometimes reads a portion of the page you specify, others, it jumps back to the very beginning and may even read the head notes at the top of the page and the footnotes at the bottom.
DragonSlayer On September 04, 2013

Miller Place, New York
#4New Post! Sep 04, 2013 @ 15:34:51
@Conflict Said

Thank you very much for your kind words. I intend to do as you suggest. By the way, please excuse the misnomer I gave. It is Microsoft Zira, not Mary. One other thing I suffer from is a failure to check what I write or think about it clearly. This is another disorder I suffer from and have been suffering from since 2009. It's a lot better now, but there was a time when I used to spout out many outrageous things, hassle people over the internet and make overt demands for others to shine in their own light.

By the way beware Microsoft Adobe Reader's read aloud. In the Pure PDF, the read aloud function sometimes reads a portion of the page you specify, others, it jumps back to the very beginning and may even read the head notes at the top of the page and the footnotes at the bottom.

It's not that uncommon. Most likely unrelated to your problem, many people are just careless, as you may be. Just look back a little bit every now and then.
Enjoy your recovery!

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#5New Post! Sep 08, 2013 @ 11:55:14
Foxit reader has many of the answers to my issues. It certainly operates faster and can identify structure of a pdf much better. Adobe Reader, as critics have mentioned, has suffered from poor programming and upgrades over the years. I´ve used it since 2005, but now I am dumping it like a hot brick. Besides, I hate the new lease system Adobe has implemented for the sale of its software. It shows great trust in us, really.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs