Light

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#16New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 00:16:18
@Reviso Said

Well of course God may be the perceiver of that kind of mathematical deduction. But I believe you could question the invisible soul for the induction of what is called two way propagation... and .... that was the problem for mirrors instead of minds remembering.

Please explain two way propagation
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#17New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 00:18:35
Check the Berkeley Physics Course, vol.'s one and two.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#18New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 16:29:25
@Erimitus Said

Lets make the light battery operated and inside the sealed container.

Lets make the container a cylinder in open space somewhere between galaxies so there is little if any gravity.

Lets make the cylinder 300 million meters long with a mirror at each end.

A light pulse is emitted in front of mirror(A) at one end of the cylinder and lasts for one second.

Then the light source moves out of the way of mirror(A)

The light pulse travels the 300 million meters in one second and strikes mirror(B) at the other end of the cylinder.

Then the light pulse is reflected back at mirror(A)

When the light pulse reaches mirror (A) it is reflected back at mirror (B)

Will the light bounce back and forth between the mirrors for eternity?

I see what you're getting at. To be honest I know little about physics to that extent and outer-space never interested me because I thought someone was telling a porky.

I would assume, as told, the sun is a burning ball of gas and the light emitting from it lasts as long as that ball of gas has left to burn.

We only benefit from it because Earth is relatively close to the sun where the outer reaches of space would be pitch back because the rays would fade when that far away.

I've also heard that space is a vacuum but that tends to conflict with what I was told when I was a kid because I would assume in order for it to be such you have to add walls to outer-space and claim that space was not infinite but rather came to a rude halt in all four directions.

I've also considered that the best way to hide a city is to begin raising an Atlante-an society to a "world" that has no accurate history (or person) willing to give away the true name of the habitat.

In such an instance the clouds could be foam build-up while we rest precariously under a transparent ceiling as the land above is getting torched by whatever 'the son' turns out to be.

And I believe you had mentioned the stacked tortoises...

#19New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 17:43:12
@Electric_Banana Said

I see what you're getting at. To be honest I know little about physics to that extent and outer-space never interested me because I thought someone was telling a porky.

I would assume, as told, the sun is a burning ball of gas and the light emitting from it lasts as long as that ball of gas has left to burn.

We only benefit from it because Earth is relatively close to the sun where the outer reaches of space would be pitch back because the rays would fade when that far away.

I've also heard that space is a vacuum but that tends to conflict with what I was told when I was a kid because I would assume in order for it to be such you have to add walls to outer-space and claim that space was not infinite but rather came to a rude halt in all four directions.

I've also considered that the best way to hide a city is to begin raising an Atlante-an society to a "world" that has no accurate history (or person) willing to give away the true name of the habitat.

In such an instance the clouds could be foam build-up while we rest precariously under a transparent ceiling as the land above is getting torched by whatever 'the son' turns out to be.

And I believe you had mentioned the stacked tortoises...

Infinite Regression

it is tortoises all the way down...

The humongous Kapow!

if there is still cosmic background radiation left from the big bang, and the bang was the beginning of forever, then it might be safe to assume that the light will go on forever or at least has gone on forever.

Foxytrot and I are trying to get government funding so we can test the thesis...
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#20New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 21:03:04
No.

If we accept that the light is emitted straight into the 1st mirror, the light will reflect back and forth but will eventually be attenuated by losses in the medium between the mirrors and be losses due to less than 100% reflection at the mirrors. No mirror is perfect; each time the light strikes the mirror, a small percentage will be absorbed rather than reflected....etc. until the light "dissipates" (that might be the wrong word, but I'll used it for lack of a better one).

Or something like that...

#21New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 22:02:05
@chaski Said

No.

If we accept that the light is emitted straight into the 1st mirror, the light will reflect back and forth but will eventually be attenuated by losses in the medium between the mirrors and be losses due to less than 100% reflection at the mirrors. No mirror is perfect; each time the light strikes the mirror, a small percentage will be absorbed rather than reflected....etc. until the light "dissipates" (that might be the wrong word, but I'll used it for lack of a better one).

Or something like that...

I see. So even if only a fraction of 1% is lost on each encounter with the mirror it will quickly add up to 100% loss.

Edit: thanks
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#22New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 22:10:42
@Erimitus Said

I see. So even if only a fraction of 1% is lost on each encounter with the mirror it will quickly add up to 100% loss.

Two way propagation done deductively is about the perfect two dimensional angle of incidence and angle of reflection. so the perfection is to be considered with no losses.
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#23New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 22:11:35
@Erimitus Said

But you aliens probably have better mirrors than we humans do.

#24New Post! Jun 29, 2013 @ 22:19:31
@Reviso Said

Two way propagation done deductively is about the perfect two dimensional angle of incidence and angle of reflection. so the perfection is to be considered with no losses.

I Googled 'Two Way propagation' and I am afraid that it is to difficult for me to understand.

Could you dumb it down a little so I can understand?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs