Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 18:55:08
@jonnythan Said

Smartest thing you've said yet.

DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#32New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 18:57:29
Each year in October the local hockey teams will have a pink jersey done for each player. Then the player will sign it and auction it off after the game. Its really nice and has help to bring awareness and raised a lot of money for the cause. The game where they announce the total raised, they usually have breast cancer survivors come to the ice and its of course met with great response.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#33New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 19:03:12
@MAW Said

Whether I argue about the colour or not will have no impact on the number of deaths from cancer.
Just as people choosing to wear pink will have no impact too.

The campaign has made a huge difference.

The goal of breast cancer awareness campaigns is to raise the public's "brand awareness" for breast cancer, its detection, its treatment, and the need for a reliable, permanent cure. Increased awareness has increased the number of women receiving mammograms, the number of breast cancers detected, and the number of women receiving biopsies (Sulik 2010, pages 157–210). It has also shifted the stage at which breast cancers are detected, so that more tumors are discovered in an earlier, more treatable stage. Marketing efforts have significantly reduced the stigma associated with the disease.

Generally speaking, breast cancer awareness campaigns have been highly effective in getting attention for the disease. Breast cancer receives significantly more media coverage than other prevalent cancers, such as prostate cancer (Arnst 2007). Because breast cancer awareness receives so much attention, and has become such a large scale campaign the actual purpose of the campaign can become hidden. People talk about the "fight" against breast cancer, but the awareness campaign is not about the cure. The awareness campaign is about raising people's awareness,to increase the chance of early detection, and thus decrease the fatality rate of breast cancer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_cancer_awareness
A mammography saved my life. Most women put themselves behind their children when it comes to taking care of themselves. The campaign has opened people's eyes.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 20:06:19
@Eaglebauer Said

Is there a color to represent people suffering a lack of good taste?

Yes it is a baby blue shirt.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 20:11:05
@MAW Said

What the f*** have I done? Since you've asked so nicely, I'd rather not say. Charity should be anonymous. I'd never talk about any money I give to charity or make any display of it. That is just the way I was brought up.

Yes you make other displays on youtube, did your mother not tell you those sort of displays should be anonymous?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#36New Post! Oct 07, 2012 @ 12:09:36
@MAW Said

What is the colour that represents taking the moral high ground?

I guess you pegged me.

You're completely correct that we ought to take an issue that causes emotional damage to a lot of people and argue about whether or not it should be publicly supported. Tell them that their efforts to raise awareness are just them trying to brag about being charitable and look good.

And yes.. I am the a*****e because I think this is in poor taste.

Makes perfect sense.

By the way, precisely what is wrong with taking the moral high ground?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#37New Post! Oct 07, 2012 @ 12:13:05
Next weekend I'm running a 5k at a charity event to raise money for research into autism. My youngest son is autistic. I've been contacting a lot of people about it and asking for donations, and because I've done so, I've been able to raise over 1500 dollars, which I never would have been able to donate myself.

Should I have just remained anonymous and not "bragged" about the effort I'm putting into this? I mean...it would have cost about 1400 dollars in donations that will go to research now because I was so brash and spent so much time bragging about my autistic son, but I guess I shouldn't try to make people aware that autism affects families on a wide scale and try to get more funds to go toward an organization that helps those families.

It's all true. I'm just a self-centered douche who is only using charity to make myself look good in the public eye to people I don't even know.

Hm.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Oct 07, 2012 @ 13:34:38
@Eaglebauer Said

By the way, precisely what is wrong with taking the moral high ground?

Nothing, you're safer from flooding that way.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#39New Post! Oct 07, 2012 @ 14:32:43
To the OP: Until you have someone close to you affected by Breast Cancer, you won't get it.

One of my next tattoos is going to be a pink ribbon.

I haven't bought any pink shirts, but I do purchase Breast Cancer merchandise. I also buy daffodil flowers and pins from the Canadian Cancer Society. Hubby, our oldest and I have Boobie bracelets . I got mine over a year ago and always wear it.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#40New Post! Oct 07, 2012 @ 15:34:10
@Eaglebauer Said

Next weekend I'm running a 5k at a charity event to raise money for research into autism. My youngest son is autistic. I've been contacting a lot of people about it and asking for donations, and because I've done so, I've been able to raise over 1500 dollars, which I never would have been able to donate myself.

Should I have just remained anonymous and not "bragged" about the effort I'm putting into this? I mean...it would have cost about 1400 dollars in donations that will go to research now because I was so brash and spent so much time bragging about my autistic son, but I guess I shouldn't try to make people aware that autism affects families on a wide scale and try to get more funds to go toward an organization that helps those families.

It's all true. I'm just a self-centered douche who is only using charity to make myself look good in the public eye to people I don't even know.

Hm.

First off, great job on the fundraising. I hope the event will bring much needed money and awareness to autism.

Second, it does not matter the illness or the disease, more money is always needed for the research into finding cures, better ways of those affected to live with the illness or disease. A lot of times some we have not heard of or if we had, we do not know much about it and there are a lo of misconceptions about many of the illnesses or diseases. Just think of years ago all the misinformation about HIV and AIDS and look at now, all the awareness and people living longer and better quality of life with illnesses and diseases that before were pretty much a death sentence.

Without all these ads, campaigns and events to bring awareness and raise money, this would not have happened.

These illnesses, diseases, conditions, whatever the proper word does not affect just the person diagnosed with it but the whole family, friends and loved ones.

I wish everyone good health and wish no one had to suffer with these things but the sad fact is that they do exist and because of that, we need awareness, education and money raised for these people to bring hope, possible cure and such.
coolhand On March 11, 2013

Fayetteville, Arkansas
#41New Post! Oct 12, 2012 @ 08:37:33
@DorkySupergirl Said

What do I think?

I think people are out there wearing pink and buying pink things to show their support and also because proceeds go to help fight breast cancer. October is breast cancer awareness month and what better arena to use to help the cause than professional athletes who millions of people around the world will see.

Many women die from this disease. Many women lose their breasts from this disease and this is affecting millions of women and you want to ask why people are wearing pink?

I want to ask why its such a big deal to you. WOMEN ARE DYING and yet people wearing pink seems to bother you.

@MAW Said

Perhaps what he is trying to say is that charity should be anonymous.

Not something you are supposed to show off about.

BTW what colour represents the fight against testicular cancer?

It's not that they are wearing pink, my question is why. Why is it so important. Does me not wanting to do so mean that I support ALL cancer research any less? Not at all. If I would actually save a life by wearing a shirt that said "I love eating dog turds" I definitely would, but that's just ridiculous.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
#42New Post! Oct 12, 2012 @ 08:41:12
@ReAdSaLoT Said

Money contributions should be anonymous. Spreading the word about something that could affect any of us is education.

It's not education, it's a fashion statement. Along with the retarded "I heart boobies" bracelets everyone seems to be wearing these days. By the way, October is also liver cancer awareness month. Pretty sure one can't live without a liver.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
#43New Post! Oct 12, 2012 @ 20:02:15
I see now after starting this thread, that some of you need to stop taking things so personally!! To get angry because someone has an opinion different from your own actually puts a nice little bow on the point I initially made. Calm down, and just do your own thing.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#44New Post! Oct 12, 2012 @ 20:47:58
@coolhand Said

It's not education, it's a fashion statement. Along with the retarded "I heart boobies" bracelets everyone seems to be wearing these days. By the way, October is also liver cancer awareness month. Pretty sure one can't live without a liver.

I'll wear my pink Swiffer to church. You don't have a clue.
https://www.craftsnscraps.com/jewelry/ribbons.html

Maybe if more people did this more money would be raised. Fashion statement my eye. My son's pediatrician died of breast can; HE died.
I hope you never get ill and nobody lends a hand.
Also:
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
National Liver Cancer Awareness Month
Down Syndrome Awareness Month
Energy Awareness Month (Go Green)
National Spina Bifida Prevention Month
Healthy Lungs Month
National Campaign for Healthier Babies Month
National Spinal Health Month
Rett Syndrome Awareness Month
National Psoriasis Month
National AIDS Awareness Month
Halloween Safety Month
National Dental Hygiene Month
National Disability Employment Awareness Month
Celiac Sprue Awareness Month
SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) Awareness Month
Eye Injury Prevention Month
National Domestic Violence awareness Month
National Medical Librarians Month
Talk About Prescriptions Month
Down Syndrome Awareness Month
Hunger Awareness Month

1-7 National Sarcoidosis Awareness Week
3- 10 Hearing Aid Awareness Week
3-9 Mental Illness Awareness Week
3-9 National Fire Prevention Week
4-8 Drive Safely to Work Week
11-15 National School Lunch Week
12-20 Bone and Joint Decade National Action Week
18-24 National Drug-Free Work Week
23-31 Red Ribbon Week (Drug-Free America)
24-30 Respiratory Care Week Lung Cancer Awareness
24-30 Pastoral Care Week

4 National Child Health Day
7 National Depression Screening Day
13 Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day
10 World Mental Health Day
15 National Latino AIDS Awareness Day
16 World Food Day
20 World Osteoporosis Day
22 International Stuttering Awareness Day
22 National Mammography Day
27 Lung Health Day Lung Cancer Awareness
Celiac Disease Awareness Day

Click the link for the rest of the calendar-
https://www.awarenessdepot.com/awarenesscalendar.html
I'll take something personally that has affected me personally. Cancer is nothing to be calm about. Ignorance annoys the hell out of me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs