Forums: Technology & Internet:
Security

Major Trojan? [COMPUTER HELP NEEDED~]

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sketchlord123 On July 14, 2013

, Indiana
#1New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 22:13:20
[NOTE: "_____" Indicates I have forgotten the name of the corporation, thing, etc.]

So, I turned on my laptop like usual. Its an educational laptop, but I use it for other purposes, like games. I'm such a badass.

Kidding, but, I turned it on to see a black screen, and an image that looked like an "A" with Red and Black, and next to it, it had said, "A_____ Corporation", and below it said something about Intel Core Processor, Which I'm confused upon.

Anyway, I pressed F2 to proceed to the Desktop, and the first things I noticed:

My Avira Anti-virus Wasn't On, It has its security like, "X"ed off, as if it was hacked or something.

Next, my Wireless Internet couldn't get to it, however my tablet can.

Please help me identify this, Avira didn't find anything, and Im scanning with Malwarebytes. Thanks!
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 22:41:12
Sounds like you were hacked by the Black Mesa Corp.

Here's some directories to clean out. Delete everything in them that will delete naturally without having to fight to remove the file as some files in these directories can not be deleted as they are relevant to programs you are currently running.

c:\Documents and Setting\*user name*\Local Settings (hidden)\Temp

c:\Documents and Setting\*user name*\Local Settings (hidden)\Temporary Internet Files

Also Google up to see if you can fine definitive information on where to find your Flash and Java Cache folders and clean those out too (they're in Macromedia and Sun (respectively) folders but I'd rather you have more detailed info to go by when dumping than what little I can offer in a post).

You're also going to have to manually clean out the caches for your browser - if only using MS Internet Explorer, then it's as easy as dumping the above Temporary Internet Files folder but if using Fox it gets a bit more tricky finding the cache folders and Chrome is even sloppier because Chrome also hides Flash relevant cookies.

Once you've done this run CCleaner (free on CNET Downloads) and run both 'cleaning' and 'registry cleaning' to wipe up dead registry entries which may or may not have associated with all of the previous files you trashed.

Finally, reboot your laptop and keep tapping the F8 key to load yourself into safe mode and run CCleaner again, then reboot back to desktop and see if that clears anything up.

, Indiana
#3New Post! Sep 07, 2012 @ 02:08:28
@Electric_Banana Said

Sounds like you were hacked by the Black Mesa Corp.

Here's some directories to clean out. Delete everything in them that will delete naturally without having to fight to remove the file as some files in these directories can not be deleted as they are relevant to programs you are currently running.

c:\Documents and Setting\*user name*\Local Settings (hidden)\Temp

c:\Documents and Setting\*user name*\Local Settings (hidden)\Temporary Internet Files

Also Google up to see if you can fine definitive information on where to find your Flash and Java Cache folders and clean those out too (they're in Macromedia and Sun (respectively) folders but I'd rather you have more detailed info to go by when dumping than what little I can offer in a post).

You're also going to have to manually clean out the caches for your browser - if only using MS Internet Explorer, then it's as easy as dumping the above Temporary Internet Files folder but if using Fox it gets a bit more tricky finding the cache folders and Chrome is even sloppier because Chrome also hides Flash relevant cookies.

Once you've done this run CCleaner (free on CNET Downloads) and run both 'cleaning' and 'registry cleaning' to wipe up dead registry entries which may or may not have associated with all of the previous files you trashed.

Finally, reboot your laptop and keep tapping the F8 key to load yourself into safe mode and run CCleaner again, then reboot back to desktop and see if that clears anything up.

Hm, Actually, I don't think it looked quite like that, but maybe somewhat? Oh well.. I'm still a little confused.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#4New Post! Sep 07, 2012 @ 04:33:21
@sketchlord123 Said

[NOTE: "_____" Indicates I have forgotten the name of the corporation, thing, etc.]

So, I turned on my laptop like usual. Its an educational laptop, but I use it for other purposes, like games. I'm such a badass.

Kidding, but, I turned it on to see a black screen, and an image that looked like an "A" with Red and Black, and next to it, it had said, "A_____ Corporation", and below it said something about Intel Core Processor, Which I'm confused upon.

My Avira Anti-virus Wasn't On, It has its security like, "X"ed off, as if it was hacked or something.

Please help me identify this, Avira didn't find anything, and Im scanning with Malwarebytes. Thanks!

Go here SpyBot S&D download the program. Install the file, open it, make sure you search for updates, then do a "Full System Scan" you can find under "settings" This is a free program and one of the best ones out there. PM me if you have any questions.

J.R.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Sep 07, 2012 @ 04:33:38
@sketchlord123 Said

Hm, Actually, I don't think it looked quite like that, but maybe somewhat? Oh well.. I'm still a little confused.

What are you still confused about?

Don't bother with searching for all of the cache folders - Just try the basics first by cleaning out Temp and Temporary Internet Files.

Then run CCleaner for both cleaning and registry.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#6New Post! Sep 07, 2012 @ 17:06:02
@sketchlord123 Said

Make sure to update Malwarebytes too before scanning. I did and it found a Trojan in my printer folder.

J.R.

, Indiana
#7New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 23:27:37
@JR_Sanford Said

Make sure to update Malwarebytes too before scanning. I did and it found a Trojan in my printer folder.

J.R.

Yet, I need Internet to update Malwarebytes. Durr.

Anyway, I'm completely stumped.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs