2012 Olympics

you know whats stupid

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#1New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 07:12:42
not selling tickets at the door..

all those empty seats could be filled on a 1st come 1st served basis fill it up and look a bit better and make more money
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 08:10:29
@maximillion Said

all those empty seats could be filled on a 1st come 1st served basis fill it up and look a bit better and make more money

Some tickets, returned by IOC members as not required are now on open sale at Olympic venues. £5 (approx $7.85) for adults and £1 (approx $1.67) for children / OAP's. That's pretty darned good value for money in my opinion, to see the cream of the world's athletes.

I'm expecting there to be complaints from regular ticket holders next as to why they had to pay premium rates and others are getting tickets significantly cheaper. Ho hum. You can't win. No matter what you do, somebody is going to grumble. From where I sit, I don't begrudge a single penny of my ticket price. I'd have paid twice that.

But the reason no tickets went on open sale was twofold.

Firstly, it's about management. If you have an online sale, then people know they have tickets can arrange their travel, hotels, spending, etc, etc.

To put only a few tickets on open sale would have prompted large numbers of people to travel into the capital.... far more demand than supply could possibly satisfy. If you want an example of that happening, ask anybody who lives in Wimbledon what things are like for two weeks of every year..... and that's just for tennis. Imagine that being repeated on the scale of Olympic Games..!!

Imagine the disappointment of people who travel from various parts of the country in the hope of getting a ticket only to be disappointed.

As I said, some tickets have now gone on open sale and I believe people can phone in and reserve them, or rock up at the stadium and buy them there. It is being emphasised though, that these tickets are few and most likely will be sold to local people who want the Olympic experience wherever.

It's a compromise situation and if (big if) it's managed properly, it should enable some people to see the Games at a bargain price. I don't have a problem with that.

x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:00:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

Some tickets, returned by IOC members as not required are now on open sale at Olympic venues. £5 (approx $7.85) for adults and £1 (approx $1.67) for children / OAP's. That's pretty darned good value for money in my opinion, to see the cream of the world's athletes.

I'm expecting there to be complaints from regular ticket holders next as to why they had to pay premium rates and others are getting tickets significantly cheaper. Ho hum. You can't win. No matter what you do, somebody is going to grumble. From where I sit, I don't begrudge a single penny of my ticket price. I'd have paid twice that.

But the reason no tickets went on open sale was twofold.

Firstly, it's about management. If you have an online sale, then people know they have tickets can arrange their travel, hotels, spending, etc, etc.

To put only a few tickets on open sale would have prompted large numbers of people to travel into the capital.... far more demand than supply could possibly satisfy. If you want an example of that happening, ask anybody who lives in Wimbledon what things are like for two weeks of every year..... and that's just for tennis. Imagine that being repeated on the scale of Olympic Games..!!

Imagine the disappointment of people who travel from various parts of the country in the hope of getting a ticket only to be disappointed.

As I said, some tickets have now gone on open sale and I believe people can phone in and reserve them, or rock up at the stadium and buy them there. It is being emphasised though, that these tickets are few and most likely will be sold to local people who want the Olympic experience wherever.

It's a compromise situation and if (big if) it's managed properly, it should enable some people to see the Games at a bargain price. I don't have a problem with that.

How much were tickets in the first place? My friend said he got weightlifting tickets for about £125 which is crazy.
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:08:41
@maximillion Said

The problem with that is someone is going to buy a shed load of tickets and sell them at over the odds. It used to happen at the festivals (not sure if it still does).
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#5New Post! Jul 31, 2012 @ 12:23:20
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

The problem with that is someone is going to buy a shed load of tickets and sell them at over the odds. It used to happen at the festivals (not sure if it still does).

ticket touting is illegal they arrested 29 for it so far so i guess either way they will try it on
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs