Family member manners

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#16New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 16:27:12
@Nanato3 Said

A close family member, who I get on with just fine has a couple of habits that is bothering me to no end and I would just like to know if I should ignore it or say something.
Unfortunately their house does not have central air conditioning and all they have is one portable air conditioner. With the heat we've had this summer and with 3 little ones you can imagine how unbearable it has been for them. I like to help out when I can but I just can't afford to get them central air so I did not next best thing and bought them another portable one.
When talking to her yesterday all I got from her when I told her was where she was going to put this unit and how hot it's been there......not one word of thanks. This is not the first time she's done this, it's like it's expected of me and I do get so very annoyed. The same a couple of weeks ago after buying shoes for the children, not a simple thank you from her.
I honestly do not mind one bit buying things for them but all I want in return is a simple "thank you".........is that really asking to much?
The other thing that is really bothering me is when she asks me to pick something up for her, she seldom pays me for it, again I get so annoyed at that and keep saying "never again". She asked me to get something a couple of weeks ago which came to $37, I've asked her a couple of times for it and all I get is "oh that's right, I owe you ..."
I honestly don't expect any payment at all when I choose to buy something but when I'm asked to buy then yes I do expect payment back.
I was bought up to say a simple thank you and I don't think that's too hard to expect back.
Am I being too picky or what? any suggestions other than talking to my son? I don't want to embarrass him

Yeah a thank you would be nice but Im afraid thats not going to happen anyway when you bought the air con and the shoes it made the kids life better and Im sure they were wrapped. At least the kids are cooler and have new shoes so even though she doesnt say thanks its made the kids life that little better. You did it for the kids not her
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#17New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 16:42:57
@Nanato3 Said

A close family member, who I get on with just fine has a couple of habits that is bothering me to no end and I would just like to know if I should ignore it or say something.
Unfortunately their house does not have central air conditioning and all they have is one portable air conditioner. With the heat we've had this summer and with 3 little ones you can imagine how unbearable it has been for them. I like to help out when I can but I just can't afford to get them central air so I did not next best thing and bought them another portable one.
When talking to her yesterday all I got from her when I told her was where she was going to put this unit and how hot it's been there......not one word of thanks. This is not the first time she's done this, it's like it's expected of me and I do get so very annoyed. The same a couple of weeks ago after buying shoes for the children, not a simple thank you from her.
I honestly do not mind one bit buying things for them but all I want in return is a simple "thank you".........is that really asking to much?
The other thing that is really bothering me is when she asks me to pick something up for her, she seldom pays me for it, again I get so annoyed at that and keep saying "never again". She asked me to get something a couple of weeks ago which came to $37, I've asked her a couple of times for it and all I get is "oh that's right, I owe you ..."
I honestly don't expect any payment at all when I choose to buy something but when I'm asked to buy then yes I do expect payment back.
I was bought up to say a simple thank you and I don't think that's too hard to expect back.
Am I being too picky or what? any suggestions other than talking to my son? I don't want to embarrass him

If you are doing something and expect something in return, state it. If you expect a person to pay you back, state it directly. If you expect a thank you, state it. Here is an example of how you ought to behave

You= You
CFM = Close Family Member

You = "phone ringing"
CFM on line = Can you pick up some milk for me?
You = how much do you need?
CFM = 4 gallons
You = That's 15 dollars plus 5 dollars gas.
CFM = ok
You = I'll be over after work to get the money
CFM = ...
You *arriving at CFM's house = You still need the milk?
CFM = yes
You = ok. I need the 20 dollars
CFM *stares blankly*
You = what? I need 20 dollars for the milk
CFM = I don't have it
You = then why are you asking me to pick up milk? You should be asking me to buy milk for you if that is what you need me to do
CFM "stares blankly"
You = Do you need me to BUY milk for you?
CFM *nods*
You = fine. I'll go buy it for you. next time, say what you mean and mean what you say
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#18New Post! Jul 21, 2012 @ 19:01:29
@Electric_Banana Said

I remember, not so long ago, going for a period of eight months, with holes in both shoes, while doing guard rounds in the pouring rain.

"Sloshy Feet"

@Willi Said

strange shoes with holes still count as shoes to get into places.
i've been blessed to have the money to get a new $12 pair.

i should not have used the word "blessed"
i apologise.
it implies i'm better.
fact is, just luckier.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jul 21, 2012 @ 19:05:54
@Tar Said

If you are doing something and expect something in return, state it. If you expect a person to pay you back, state it directly. If you expect a thank you, state it. Here is an example of how you ought to behave

You= You
CFM = Close Family Member

You = "phone ringing"
CFM on line = Can you pick up some milk for me?
You = how much do you need?
CFM = 4 gallons
You = That's 15 dollars plus 5 dollars gas.
CFM = ok
You = I'll be over after work to get the money
CFM = ...
You *arriving at CFM's house = You still need the milk?
CFM = yes
You = ok. I need the 20 dollars
CFM *stares blankly*
You = what? I need 20 dollars for the milk
CFM = I don't have it
You = then why are you asking me to pick up milk? You should be asking me to buy milk for you if that is what you need me to do
CFM "stares blankly"
You = Do you need me to BUY milk for you?
CFM *nods*
You = fine. I'll go buy it for you. next time, say what you mean and mean what you say

Yeah I gotta agree. I hate it when people hint at things and dont have the guts to ask a question. If I know they are hibting, I just agree with there hints and dont nake any offers. If they just ask a direct question, I will be a lot more willing to do a favcour or lend money as they are being straight with me.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#20New Post! Jul 21, 2012 @ 19:23:33
@Nanato3 Said

The problem with it being a family member that is taking advantage of your good will ,is that you started allowing her to do this from the first time she did it.
Until you are able to let it be known that,,,
Quote:
Nothing will change.
It sounds like this is really becoming an issue for you, it may be worth it to 'embarrass' them a bit ,before letting it get so big that you stop doing the things you enjoy and come from your heart , like the kids shoes or the fan .
Electric_Banana On about 9 hours ago

, New Zealand
#21New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 00:22:50
@Willi Said

i should not have used the word "blessed"
i apologise.
it implies i'm better.
fact is, just luckier.

Lol. I understood what you meant. I wasn't offended.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#22New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 00:42:51
@Electric_Banana Said

Lol. I understood what you meant. I wasn't offended.

cool.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs