Forums: Technology & Internet:
Security

How to Avoid Harmful Ads that Say, "DOWNLOAD", "DOWNLOAD NOW"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sketchlord123 On July 14, 2013

, Indiana
#1New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 14:51:34
Do any of you ever get confused when you go to a site to download something, and you see about 15 "DOWNLOAD" ads? Here are some helpful tests to see if its real or not.

1. Take the cursor and roll over it. If your cursor turns into a hand without even touching the button itself, then its an advertisement.

2. Make sure that the download button says the name of the product you are downloading on it, that way you dont click the wrong one.

3. You need to see if you've seen it somewhere before, like on another site.

4. Most importantly, if its on the side of the page, or in a block-like formation, then its most likely an ad. Most sites put their "Download" under an article its listed in.

Good luck!
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 16:13:48
@sketchlord123 Said

Do any of you ever get confused when you go to a site to download something, and you see about 15 "DOWNLOAD" ads? Here are some helpful tests to see if its real or not.

1. Take the cursor and roll over it. If your cursor turns into a hand without even touching the button itself, then its an advertisement.

2. Make sure that the download button says the name of the product you are downloading on it, that way you dont click the wrong one.

3. You need to see if you've seen it somewhere before, like on another site.

4. Most importantly, if its on the side of the page, or in a block-like formation, then its most likely an ad. Most sites put their "Download" under an article its listed in.

Good luck!

THANK you!!!
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 17:37:30
Or just use firefox with adblock and avoid all that bulls*** to begin with.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#4New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 18:37:24
@LuckyCharms Said

Or just use firefox with adblock and avoid all that bulls*** to begin with.

^
This

Even before I started using Firefox, if something popped up after me clicking on a link, I would never click the pop up. You're just asking for trouble by doing so.

When I 'download from a reputable site', the download link doesn't pop up on another page.

I makes me think of emails people get that say their account for say, PayPal as an example. Even if they don't have a PayPal account, but click on the provided 'safe link' in the email to see what is going on, then put in some person info. Little do they realise, until it's too late, they have just clicked a hacker link and given said hacker info and possible access to a wide range of things.
sketchlord123 On July 14, 2013

, Indiana
#5New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 21:07:09
@BozieFozie Said

THANK you!!!

Happy to help!
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 15, 2012 @ 23:02:52
@Dark_Tink Said

^
This

Even before I started using Firefox, if something popped up after me clicking on a link, I would never click the pop up. You're just asking for trouble by doing so.

When I 'download from a reputable site', the download link doesn't pop up on another page.

I makes me think of emails people get that say their account for say, PayPal as an example. Even if they don't have a PayPal account, but click on the provided 'safe link' in the email to see what is going on, then put in some person info. Little do they realise, until it's too late, they have just clicked a hacker link and given said hacker info and possible access to a wide range of things.

Thats the beauty of these little scams. There are always idiots out there. I get them from Natwest Bank a lot. Now I have never banked with them. Also I dont know any banks that actually conduct business via email.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs