Kids

Explaining Time

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#1New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:02:33
How do you teach kids to tell time? The hour hand is pretty easy to get them to understand, but what about the minute hand? How do you explain that before they can count by fives? It's proving more problematic; I don't really know what to do with that.
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:16:42
is it to get them to come home at a certain time?

my mum bought me a watch with an alarm but that was before mobile phones so its irrelevant now i guess
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:25:23
@maximillion Said

is it to get them to come home at a certain time?

my mum bought me a watch with an alarm but that was before mobile phones so its irrelevant now i guess

It's just what they're working on at school.
Hot_Rod On March 30, 2012

Deleted
Banned

A yacht, Monaco
#4New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:29:19
@chisa96 Said

How do you teach kids to tell time? The hour hand is pretty easy to get them to understand, but what about the minute hand? How do you explain that before they can count by fives? It's proving more problematic; I don't really know what to do with that.

My sis could tell the time at 4 - and don't say "yes but what about at other times?"

She lust 'sort of picked it up by looking at the positions getting nearer the next hour' somehow lol.

Failing that - get them a digital watch! [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i45/5/1/4/tfs_7f038a96635c.gif"> [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/smilies/lmao.gif">
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#5New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:30:05
@chisa96 Said

It's just what they're working on at school.

what about a paper plate clock?? we made those marked the hour and minutes with a marker
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#6New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:35:29
@Hot_Rod Said

My sis could tell the time at 4 - and don't say "yes but what about at other times?"

She lust 'sort of picked it up by looking at the positions getting nearer the next hour' somehow lol.

Failing that - get them a digital watch! [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i45/5/1/4/tfs_7f038a96635c.gif"> [smile]https://c.tfster.com/images/smilies/lmao.gif">

Yeah, he seems to be starting to get that too. He gets that the big hand on the six is half way to the next hour. But he's big on pointing to the 5, 10, whatever and then asking "why?" when we tell him what time it means.

I don't know how to answer it in a way that he gets.

Lol. And I don't think that going digital will help; I'm pretty sure that they'll still require that he knows this even if he shows them his cool digital watch.

@maximillion Said

what about a paper plate clock?? we made those marked the hour and minutes with a marker

Yeah, he's made one of them at school that he plays with here.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:46:23
@chisa96 Said

Yeah, he seems to be starting to get that too. He gets that the big hand on the six is half way to the next hour. But he's big on pointing to the 5, 10, whatever and then asking "why?" when we tell him what time it means.

I don't know how to answer it in a way that he gets.

Lol. And I don't think that going digital will help; I'm pretty sure that they'll still require that he knows this even if he shows them his cool digital watch.

Yeah, he's made one of them at school that he plays with here.

Does he understand minutes? Or maybe fractions...basic of course, like pie chart "this is a whole one, that is just part of one." Since he understands that the 6 is "halfway" could he understand that each "5" is "partway?"

I'm sort of grasping here...I told my daughter something had to be in the oven for 18 minutes and she asked, "How much is 18 minutes?" She keeps thinking minutes are seconds.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 17:56:14
I think I remember my Mum teaching me the half hours, then quarter to/quarter past, then working down to 5 minutes.

We had an 'ish' clock though, so it was never exact
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#9New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:03:13
lil hand= lil #s= hour.
big hand=big #s= part of hour.
hour = 60 minutes.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#10New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:12:11
@someone_else Said

Does he understand minutes? Or maybe fractions...basic of course, like pie chart "this is a whole one, that is just part of one." Since he understands that the 6 is "halfway" could he understand that each "5" is "partway?"

I'm sort of grasping here...I told my daughter something had to be in the oven for 18 minutes and she asked, "How much is 18 minutes?" She keeps thinking minutes are seconds.

Lol. I just don't know. It's so weird to try to think about this in so much detail.

He gets that the minute hand has to move all the way around; he would get that five is partway, but less than six. At this point, he'll get it on his own once he's thought about it for a while, but yeah... If I told him to wait 18 minutes he would be baffled, and I don't know how to explain what that means.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#11New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:13:34
Just have him watch the clock hands move?
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:17:41
@ninozara Said

I think I remember my Mum teaching me the half hours, then quarter to/quarter past, then working down to 5 minutes.

We had an 'ish' clock though, so it was never exact

That's probaby the direction we'll go naturally here too. Let him focus on the six for a bit more, then add in the three and the nine.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#13New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:22:19
@chisa96 Said

How do you explain that before they can count by fives? It's proving more problematic; I don't really know what to do with that.

Let 'em count by ones. It might take longer, but they'll get it right,... later.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:54:10
I think we had little cardboard clocks and there was this book that made it a story which was cool.

You could like divide up the clock like pizza or something?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#15New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 23:00:39
@chisa96 Said

If I told him to wait 18 minutes he would be baffled, and I don't know how to explain what that means.

I take it he can count?

Teach him what the seconds hand is for; then tell him to sit there and watch it, that it has to go around 18 times, and for him to count the times it goes around; so that he gets an understanding of just what 18 minutes means.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs