Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#31New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 18:42:11
Your problem is your doctor isn't very good.

The solution is not to take your health into your own hands and start doing whatever you want with the drugs prescribed to you.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 18:44:08
A lot of our rehab programmes are community based where a special nurse will come to your home and measure your bloods and vitals and help you if you get constipated or upset tummy or headaches or paranoia.

Its really worth checking the local rehab centres.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 18:45:31
@jonnythan Said

The solution is not to take your health into your own hands and start doing whatever you want with the drugs prescribed to you.

Jon is absolutely 100% correct, please do get a medical second opinion. Obviously we care enough about you to say these things.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#34New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 18:46:20
@rosexthorn Said

Only because he doesn't know how to deal with Psychiatric meds in any way so he wants to keep it 'as is' and not disturb what the retired therapist left him with.

She [Pharmacist] did not tell me NOT to wean off. She told me to do it slowly. My GP was for it but decided against it because he doesn't want to deal with the problems that got me put on it in the first place and he's admitted he's not a psychiatrist. So in fact I did not go against anyone. Just made the decision because they were pros and cons from both pharmacist and doctor. They weren't against it yet leaning on the weaning of it but wouldn't put their 'stamp' if you will on the decision making.

I had to do that. I got given a red/green light on the weaning process and took the green..

You were given a Yield sign, not a red or green light. Neither professional liked the idea of you going off that med in any fashion. With your physician "not wanting to deal with the problems", tells you right there that you need a new physician.

@rosexthorn Said

And sometimes strangers know more about situations than doctors do and have their own experiences to draw from if you know what I mean.

No matter how much personal experience someone has with meds, NEVER take their advice as the way to go. Take their 'knowledge' and ask a professional about it, but don't go solely with it.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#35New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 20:59:48
I want to thank all who posted for all the info I've received.

Very informed comments to really think on!
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#36New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 21:14:30
@jonnythan Said

@treebee Said

Jon is absolutely 100% correct, please do get a medical second opinion. Obviously we care enough about you to say these things.

I've been in your shoes altough on a different lavel with different drugs. I was prescribed labetalol and metopolol, both were addictive and I had to be weaned off of them, the metoprolol gave me hallucinations and the labetalol masked the symptoms of low blood sugar A second opinion is the safest route.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#37New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 21:40:09
@jonnythan Said

That's exactly the issue. The pharmacist doesn't know anything about the patient's illness, history, other medication, etc. Pharmacists cannot and as far as I know absolutely do not counsel patients on changing prescription dosages.

This is of course how it is in the US. I can't say anything about any other country.

I can only speak for where I live but my pharmacist does not know anything that is wrong with me as in, s/he does not know my conditions or illness because most medication can be used for different conditions or illnesses.

However, my pharmacist has a list of all my meds, when the last time I had them filled was and s/he has a list of any allergies I have. Its all in the computer.

There have been times I have been given a prescription and come to find out via my pharmacist, I can't take it due to drug interaction so then s/he rings my doctor and my doctor will tell my doctor why or the doctor who gave me that med why I can't take it and he'll tell the pharmacist what else to give me.

So basically where I live, pharmacists are not allowed to prescribe drugs nor do they know my specific illness but they are better than the doctor for making sure I never ever have a drug interaction. Most doctors here just write the prescription and do not check that out, that is what the pharmacist does. I have no idea how it works anywhere else but this is my own experiences.

Most doctors I see do not know what the pills looks like, the size of them, the color etc but my pharmacist knows all of that. Here the pharmacist also gives you your shots if you take any liquid medications. They charge 20$ per injection bu free at clinic but they are allowed to do the shots if you do not want to wait to see your doctor.

If I need to know if something over the counter will harm me, I call my pharmacist, they look in the computer and tell me. Doctors here tell you to call the pharmacist because its all in the computer and they are trained to do that for us.

, Canada
#38New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 21:44:58
Regarding doing off medications, you need to speak with your doctor. You can become quite ill going off drugs or doing down too many mg and/or doing it too fast.

Its not wise nor is it safe.

I will share this, there was a time when I would have to be out of meds before my insurance let me call them in and some of these meds are not ones that the pharmacist always has to sometimes I was 24-72 without medications I needed and it was God awful how I felt and I would wish that on no one. Now its rare this happens because I complained about it but it was God awful when it happened.

, Canada
#39New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 21:58:07
One more thing, and before anyone shoots me, I am only going based on here, pharmacists here are allowed to give you information in regards to how many mg you should go lower at a time in order to gradually go off a medication. They are trained to do so and our doctors work with the pharmacists as well. Here, a lot of medication situations are handled by the pharmacists.

Winnipeg, Canada
#40New Post! Oct 03, 2011 @ 02:27:19
@DorkySupergirl Said

Regarding doing off medications, you need to speak with your doctor. You can become quite ill going off drugs or doing down too many mg and/or doing it too fast.

Its not wise nor is it safe.

I will share this, there was a time when I would have to be out of meds before my insurance let me call them in and some of these meds are not ones that the pharmacist always has to sometimes I was 24-72 without medications I needed and it was God awful how I felt and I would wish that on no one. Now its rare this happens because I complained about it but it was God awful when it happened.

The pharmacists here are way more educated on drugs than the doctors are for sure and that's why they advise their patients on how to proceed with certain meds etc... As I said in an earlier post, my pharmacist checked every single med I was one for the culprit to the hallucinations and zoned in on one and told me if I was going to do it to do it very slowly with a doctor's help.

I hate the withdrawals as I'm sure there aren't any withdrawals that I know of that are good ones. I really think that maybe I'll stick to where I am for now and perhaps up it .05 because this feels way to awful for me as I'm in a zombie state of I've never experienced before. This is so tough..

I hate being on this med which was only intended to be used for 4 weeks tops for my specific problem but has now been over 10 years. My therapist was supposed to wean me off before he retired but didn't. Now I'm stuck with the major decision and no help in weaning properly although I must say I think I'm doing pretty good with the weaning and knowing my body and mind and catch all things out of the ordinary. But what's the norm for me? I truly don't know any more because I've been drugged up on this medication for far too long and it has taken over the real ME!!

Sorry, had to let that bit of angst out!!! I'd kudo you but I'm out sorry!

Winnipeg, Canada
#41New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 04:33:39
Well, it's been awhile since I started to wean myself off this drug.

I'm afraid I've only been able to wean down .05mgs and can't seem to go any lower because the side effects are horrible.

Feeling bad about that, but will continue to try. Day by day!

Hard drug to get off, please people if you don't absolutely 'need' to take this drug 'DON'T' start.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#42New Post! Jan 16, 2012 @ 19:46:38
@rosexthorn Said

Well, it's been awhile since I started to wean myself off this drug.

I'm afraid I've only been able to wean down .05mgs and can't seem to go any lower because the side effects are horrible.

Feeling bad about that, but will continue to try. Day by day!

Hard drug to get off, please people if you don't absolutely 'need' to take this drug 'DON'T' start.

That's the dose I am on. And I plan to stay with it. Life is just better with at least that dose.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs